Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Aluminum Ford F-150?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Will aluminum Ford F-150 be a rolling beer can?

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 09:36:19

Dodge uses the Cross now.
vision-master

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 09:49:27

vision-master wrote:
The F-150 has been the best selling vehicle in the USA for 17 years straight. Then in May 2013, it was surpassed by four more fuel-efficient vehicles. Now it is rated fifth in sales following Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, and Honda Accord.

Honda's? :lol:

Like that toad the Honda FIT with terrible gas mileage for a compact and slow as hell. Are they still running a 4 speed auto. lol :lol:

Hate to break it to ya but, Honda's are overpriced and if they are so great, where's the 100,000 mile power-train warranty?

Hondas do not need 100K-mile warranties because it is known that Hondas are well built.
Chryslers need 100K-mile warranties or no one will buy them because they have a poor reliability record.
Go pick on Toyotas or something, vision-muffler.

I'm curious about the aluminum F-150 but I'm not an early adopter and expect it'll take a few years to find out the impact of dissimilar metals in various parts that bolt to the frame. This of course will not stop parts from dropping dead at 130K miles like a '99 Ford.

Formerly a Chevy fan, I'm done with GM after the Government Motors ordeal. It's Ford's to lose at this point.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 09:56:53

Hondas do not need 100K-mile warranties because it is known that Hondas are well built.
Chryslers need 100K-mile warranties or no one will buy them because they have a poor reliability record.

Boring cheap cars, no thanks.

Too bad those Jap's can't build one of these.

vision-master

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 10:24:47

Toyotas almost indestructible!

http://youtu.be/xnWKz7Cthkk

http://youtu.be/xTPnIpjodA8

http://youtu.be/kFnVZXQD5_k

What they did to this car is amazing and it still ran!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby basil_hayden » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 13:25:08

vision-master wrote:

Boring cheap cars, no thanks.

Too bad those Jap's can't build one of these.

Let me see if I can decipher vision-muffler's gibberish for the public:

"boring" = reliable, yeah, who the heck would want that?
"cheap" = "overpriced" in his previous post, apparently

The "Japs" do build much better than that, the car you have in the photo is not a production model; the production model only serves up 400 HP. The 2014 Nissan GT-R Nismo serves up 600 HP right out of the factory.

But "horsepower" and "fun" are no longer the goals, are they vision-muffler? Fuel mileage and efficiency is the goal.

That's why the soda can is being turned into a pick up truck. You can even fill the bed with soda and swim in the "fizzies", if that's your thing, vm.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 16:25:25

If I had money to burn, I'd be driving a new Audi. :)
vision-master

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 17:33:33

If, *IF* I were going to buy another car in this lifetime; I think the BMW 335i is about as perfect as it gets, not cheap, not big, nothing overly modern or tech'ish, not too flashy...

That's a big if though. It'd be a bit of a leap of faith as well, Japanese manufacturers have been very good to me and very easy to keep running well. European manufacturers have a rep for needing more shop time, though I'm inclined to believe their owners likely mistreat them and run them till they fail, as opposed to keeping them in good condition. Or maybe its just their owners whine about them in the shop more.... (just a hunch though).
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 30 Dec 2013, 18:23:29

BMW/ Audi nice driving autos...... :)

Had a 325es back in the 80's, great running and handling car, just don't take them in for service. :shock:
vision-master

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 18:49:18

Keith_McClary wrote:Will aluminum Ford F-150 be a rolling beer can?
Ford is going to announce in a couple of weeks that the next F-150 will have a body made mostly of aluminum instead of steel in a bid to save weight, and thus gas ...
Is your local autobody shop ready to fix dents and fender-benders in these?

I saw a new truck ad from Dodge where they drop sharp heavy objects in the bed of a new F-150 aluminum and a steel Dodge and compare the damage. Kind of disingenuous as someone who owns the Aluminum version is unlikely to drop sharp heavy objects into the bed instead of setting them down normally. Also a large percentage of truck owners invest in some sort of bed liner ranging from a rubberized mat to a spray on rhinoliner. The entire purpose of the liner is to preserve the bed for potential resale value by avoiding dents and tears as much as possible.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GHung » Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:44:44

I took my Ranger to the Ford dealer a couple of months ago to get my airbags replaced. While I waited I checked out the new trucks and all of them had bed liners except for couple of basic commercial models which will likely get liners, tool boxes, etc, when they are sold.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 06 Nov 2016, 17:34:18

Ghung - Exactly. Anyone owning a real work truck that doesn't have a bed liner shouldn't be allowed to drtive. LOL. It's not like all that "extra weight" is going to hurt millage very much.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 00:28:06

ROCKMAN wrote:Ghung - Exactly. Anyone owning a real work truck that doesn't have a bed liner shouldn't be allowed to drtive. LOL. It's not like all that "extra weight" is going to hurt millage very much.

My ex-paw-in-law used to say, with great emphasis, that a pick-up isn't a truck! It's just a pick-up!! A real truck could haul at least 6 or 8 tons without even feeling it.
Yes, he was a farmer. He considered pick-ups to be "girlie" trucks.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 01:46:21

Tanada wrote:I saw a new truck ad from Dodge where they drop sharp heavy objects in the bed of a new F-150 aluminum and a steel Dodge and compare the damage.

Since when are car ads credible?

I know we have truth in advertising laws, but apparently they aren't enforced much, or there are enough loopholes to ... drive a truck through.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 03:50:15

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Tanada wrote:I saw a new truck ad from Dodge where they drop sharp heavy objects in the bed of a new F-150 aluminum and a steel Dodge and compare the damage.

Since when are car ads credible?

I know we have truth in advertising laws, but apparently they aren't enforced much, or there are enough loopholes to ... drive a truck through.

A bedliner company should "hijack" that ad to sell bedliner to Ford buyers.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 09:37:39

Hawk - We have a lot of girlie trucks in Texas. Rarely do I see a pu truck in Houston hauling anything...all very pretty. And a lot drive like jerks. Thus my acronym for them: PUTA's...Pick Up Truck Assholes. Works in bnoth local languages. And the ones that are "working" typically look like a piece of sh*t. What gets me is how almost every 4-door crew cab pu I see seldom has more the one rider.

A real man drives a "deuce and a half". LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:11:31

The working trucks around here are mostly rangers and small trucks. The big ones are great for farmers. Most of the farmers here are using vans to get to the farmer's market however. As with most things, they are a great tool, but the heaviest thing most people tote in their pickups are their egos.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:58:34

I'm in my 4th Ranger and will never go back to a full size truck for a lot of reasons. Meanwhile, I get lots of farm use with much lower over-all costs, and have a couple of trailers when I need them to haul larger loads. A guy I know asked me why I drive a little "pussy" truck (he just bought a Ford "MOAB") and I told him my purchasing decisions aren't based on ego. I suggested he's suffering from LDS (little dick syndrome), and his monthly payments are likely higher than my yearly costs of driving my truck. Where's the sense in that, especially considering I've never seen him use his truck for "truck stuff"? My truck had a load of gardening tools at the time, and looked quite dirty next to his shiny new Moab. Jeez, even his tires probably cost more, each, than what I pay for a full set, and won't last as long. Besides, my truck is much easier to get around these tight mountain roads.

Why TF would someone buy a truck that costs as much as a house, that they don't need?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 12:38:04

I confess, my go to town pick-up is a 2 wheel drive Toyota Tacoma, just because it gets 25 MPG. My pick-up around the homestead is a 1990 4x4 F-150, which is needed to get up my mile long, goat path driveway in the winter. And my walkabout camping vehicle is a 1977 Chevy 1 ton van, which is leaving in about a week to look for scenic views for my Canon 5D to admire. I think I am going to skip the snow this year.
Except I may go skiing in Utah a couple of times.
Anyway, I like all types of vehicles, honest. Typical Murican semi-gearhead.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 14:17:53

Hawk - And I'll admit to my dose of pu envy. When buying my current handicap vehicle they had a 4x4 Chevy crewcab. Very cool: the entire driver's side (both doors) slid out on a beam with an elevator: back my wheelchair in and hit a botton: elevator goes up and the beam slides me in front of the steering wheel. And since I drive bad lease roads in the oil field the 4wd is easily justified...at times. But I usually rock the lease road and drill pad so don't need 4wd that often. When I do I just have a hand drive me in.

Just couldn't justify the exra $35k. Which is why instead of driving a very cool handicap pu I drive a f*cking handicap Toyota minivan. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 14:53:10

Rock,
Its only money, and life is short. Buy the fancy PU. As a former oil field hand, I don't regret a penny of the money I pissed away over the years. You can't take it with you, and the kids would probably just spend it on a hot rod Camaro for themselves.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency