Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why We Should Be Concerned About Low Oil Prices

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Why We Should Be Concerned About Low Oil Prices

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 08 May 2017, 20:26:11

wpid-6072c3f98f422cbfe116f89220478223.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 09 May 2017, 11:02:01

Production temporarily went down due to the impact of the Saudi's attacking fracking by overdrilling. Now drilling in the US creeping up again in a way that (based on reading back in the archives) you predicted was impossible. So wipe the smug off your face.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 09 May 2017, 12:10:51

70 - See, just like I said: having pstarr here is useful as it allows thoughtful responses as you just posted. I think you should send pstarr a voucher for a half gallon of Blue Bell ice cream as a thank you. LOL.

pstarr - Hang in there, buddy. Who luvs, ya, baby?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 09 May 2017, 13:28:34

Yes, thanks to Rock for having patience with us amateurs. So, Rock what would be the main reason you are not on the Etp bandwagon?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Tue 09 May 2017, 15:10:04

onlooker wrote:Yes, thanks to Rock for having patience with us amateurs. So, Rock what would be the main reason you are not on the Etp bandwagon?

He has explained this any number of times. Reading comprehension and memory is important here.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 09 May 2017, 18:53:34

ROCKMAN wrote:"Personally I like onlooker a lot. He's a pretty thoughtful guy who makes good posts." I agree. And
as far as pstarr: I'm glad he's around and does such a good job of playing the "energizer" mole: he takes a beating but keeps on ticking. Always handy to have a foil to play against.

True. But isn't a foil of use only if it IS a foil? Nanny nanny boo-boo routines and living in an alternate universe isn't someone being a foil. Why can't we get an informed foil, someone who understands that when numbers go up higher, you don't get to call smaller numbers in the past a maximum of some sort? Who isn't fixated on using charts from a decade ago to avoid even discussing what happened next that at the very least might pull them from previously mentioned alternate universe?

Rockman wrote:With the "ignore" options I'm not sure why banning is ever discussed. I've don't put folks on ignore...I just ignore them. Unless they say something so easily PROVED silly. Then I have fun. LOL

LOL indeed.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 10 May 2017, 13:44:04

What I don't understand is this unspoken air coming from PStarr that he represents some sort of "silent majority" here and that anytime someone expresses dissent that such a person represents an isolated troublemaker (i.e. a troll). From what I can tell, ETPers are still a minority here and even one of the mods has gone on record to say he thinks it's bunk. While I wish marimco and Adam would stick to the facts and not resort to talking about bunsen burners and dead sea mammals, most of us put time and effort into explaining WHY we think ETP is bunk. We're not trolls. This continued leaning on labeling anti-ETPers trolls just reflects how empty PStarr's arguments are.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 10 May 2017, 17:12:58

asg70 wrote:What I don't understand is this unspoken air coming from PStarr that he represents some sort of "silent majority" here and that anytime someone expresses dissent that such a person represents an isolated troublemaker (i.e. a troll).

I think you've pegged it. He is just a troll.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 11 May 2017, 10:47:15

Here's the irony...

Back in the early days being a peak-oiler was equated with red-pill wisdom. Peak-oilers felt they had a more accurate view of how the world worked, and they held a stoic scientist in M King Hubbert up as their patron saint. The Oil Drum used to run many articles about psychological blindspots. Many blogs about how the average person has bought into the cult of infinite growth.

Now, however, it seems some of the same people who once petitioned for the scientific method simply can't accept that, at the very least, the can's been successfully kicked down the road an indeterminate perod of time. They're falling victim to the same sort of cognitive biases they once accused Joe Sixpack of having, only skewed in a doomer rather than corny direction.

To concede that we'll be on a lull for a while is perceived as a betrayal to the cause of maintaining a persistent state of dread that collapse could come at any moment.

It's the disingenuous way that perma-doomers feel they have the firmer grasp on reality that bothers me. It's really more about having such an unhealthy attachment to a narrative that they can't abide information that contradicts it. ETP is really an opiate to allow them to hold on a little longer before capitulating. Its pseudo-science smacks of the rube-goldberg physics trotted out to explain the motion of the planets in a solar system with the earth at its center rather than the sun.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion