Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Why the oil industry has buried the idea of "peak oil"

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Why the oil industry has buried the idea of "peak oil"

Unread postby meemoe_uk » Thu 17 May 2012, 08:07:54

>In my list of 10 arguments against po I only have 7 but that one certainly isn't gonna be number 8.

If you're stuggling to make up arguments against PO, you could consider not ignoring posts from cornies you find are too challenging to your beliefs, such as my reply to you at the top of this page.

Have you read JD's blog yet?
meemoe_uk
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 17 May 2012, 17:15:25

The Green River Formation—an assemblage of over 1,000 feet of sedimentary rocks that lie beneath parts of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming—contains the world’s largest deposits of oil shale. USGS estimates that the Green River Formation contains about 3 trillion barrels of oil, and about half of this may be recoverable, depending on available technology and economic conditions. This is an amount about equal to the entire world’s proven oil reserves.

Yes, we do know how to get this out: these reserves are similar to the Bakken shale in North Dakota that is spurting out oil as you read.
Did he seriously just write that? Doesn't the Telegraph do even basic fact checking? I'm glad I learned to take a perverse pleasure in reading such obvious BS as this. It's like going to best buy and asking one of their sales associates questions about computers. I know the answers are going to be entirely wrong, but it's amusing listening to it anyway.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 17 May 2012, 20:25:41

The guy makes even more basic mistakes than that. He compares the Green River oil shale formation to Bakken shale, as if they are the same thing. They are not even the same state of matter. One is a solid, the other is a liquid. It's like comparing natural gas to gasoline. They both have the word "gas" in it, that must mean they are the same thing right?

Oil Shale:
Image Image

Bakken oil:
Image Image
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 17 May 2012, 23:52:38

No matter how expensive crude becomes the Law of Receding Horizons tells us that substitutes will always be priced just out of range. Their production is, after all, subsidized by petroleum in the form of rigs, roads, labor, and indexed to inflating petroleum costs.

Even when crude rises to $500 or $1,000 unconventionals will remain a blip, a meaningless luxury reserved for generals or billionaires perhaps.

I'd like to suggest that before you insult posters you actually understand what it is they are trying to say? The point being made was that Green River oil shale is not the same as the "shale oil" that is being referenced elsewhere. The Green River shale is what is properly referred to as Kerogen shale. It is undercooked but full of organics. The idea has always been that by mining and cooking it you will get a substantial amount of oil. The technology is there, the cost/benefit doesn't fit at current prices/costs. Shale oil is something different entirely, it is oil already generated and sitting in either a liquid or gas state within the shales. Fraccing allows this oil to flow to the wellbore and even at current prices it is quite economical. The two are completely different, the economics governing both are completely different. The poster who suggested it was stupid to combine oil shales or kerogen shales with shale oil in any discussion is completely right. You, however, continue to be uneducated in the technology/science/economics of these endeavours but still love to post about how stupid everyone else is. Sad.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Rune » Sun 17 Jun 2012, 23:08:18

Guest Column: Yes, Oil Prices Are Cyclical

The latest round of briefing papers on oil published over the last week on Wall Street is a testament to how quickly things can change when it comes to oil prices. Less than a few months after Brent crude prices topped $125 a barrel, Wall Street is suddenly predicting a possible collapse in oil prices to $50 a barrel.

The forecasts, which may or may not prove to be correct, reflect more than just a cloudy economic outlook for Europe. There appears to be a definitive shift brewing in long-range perceptions about future oil supplies.

With the shale oil boom promising over one million barrels a day of new oil production within a year in the United States, analysts are coming out of the woodwork to embrace falling oil prices. The new word on the street when it comes to oil is “sell.” Already, the long oil price, that is, futures prices going out past a year, has fallen to $85 a barrel, down from over $100 a barrel earlier this year.

Citigroup Global Markets took the lead last week with predictions of a cyclical shift that could cause prices to slide in the long term to as low as $50 a barrel. In their latest publication, “Zeroing In On the Long-Term Oil Prices,” Citi analysts state: “Signs are abounding that the escalation in upstream capital spending is bearing fruit, with a surge in discoveries and reserve bookings that is already being converted into new production, particularly in North America.

“There are no reasons to believe the supply boom in Canada and the United States is about to end,” they write. “To the contrary, it appears likely to start spreading across the world.”

$50 - 80 would be good.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby seenmostofit » Sun 17 Jun 2012, 23:34:16

pstarr wrote: I am just a concerned citizen who happens to have the time and interest to track the most important story of this or any historical decade.

You meant to add, "story of this or any historical decade as long as it has nothing to do with the difference between oil shale and shale oil."?

pstarr wrote: You don't need a PhD to understand that we are scraping the bottom of the geologic barrel. That much is obvious to school kids today. You might need to get out more often.

Might not need a PhD, but a little history goes a long way.

"While we do not know exactly how much oil remains
undiscovered, we do know that it is a limited
supply…Furthermore, the easy discoveries have already
been made and only the difficult ones remain."

M. King Hubbert. 1938

We've been running out of easy oil, scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long, LONG time apparently. Apparently, most of us have grown up in this period of difficult to extract oil, and to be honest, I can't say it has stunted my growth much, having never known was "easy" oil was like.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion