Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

WHO finds Roundup 'Probable Carcinogen'

WHO finds Roundup 'Probable Carcinogen'

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 20 Mar 2015, 21:36:34

It's Friday, the sheeple won't remember this by Monday. March Madness is more important...

Roundup a 'probable carcinogen,' WHO report says

A report published Friday in the journal The Lancet Oncology says glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup, is a "probable carcinogen."

The report is from the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the France-based cancer research arm of the World Health Organization.

"This latest finding, which links Monsanto's Roundup to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and lung cancer is not the first to make these links, but it is one of the strongest indictments of glyphosate, the key ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup," said Ronnie Cummins, international director for the Organic Consumers Association.

... The Department of Agriculture does not test food for glyphosate residues, but in 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency raised the allowed limits of glyphosate residues on fruits and vegetables.

See also: gmo-corn-linked-to-cancer-tumors-t67833.html
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Re: WHO finds Roundup 'Probable Carcinogen'

Unread postby Pops » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 08:21:02

In other "be careful what you wish for" news, EPA approves known carcinogen and Agent Orange component, 2,4-d, paving the way for new Dow Chemical GMO crops resistant to the known poison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-ki ... 10311.html
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 09:07:41

Wonderful, I have significant 2,4-d exposure from work. Almost anyone who has worked next too a golf course or wheat field can say the same thing, they all spray large doses of the stuff once or twice a year to kill everything that isn't a grass/grain. I get migranes from the smell f the stuff in the air for two or three days after they spray meaning I have inhaled significant quantities every year for decades.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Pops » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 09:23:01

Yeah, I've sprayed lots of different stuff over the years, 2,4-d is the only one that I've ever felt any effects from. It gives me a buzzing, nerve jangling feeling, sorta like smoking a cig after a long hiatus.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/pestici ... /2-4-D.pdf
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 10:21:25

Add one more to the list ...

Malathion 'Probably Carcinogenic' to Humans, WHO agency concludes

An agency of the World Health Organization says malathion, an insecticide used in Winnipeg to kill adult mosquitoes, is "probably carcinogenic" to people.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a specialized agency of WHO, announced Friday that malathion and another insecticide, diazinon, have been classified as "probably carcinogenic to humans."

The agency issued the same classification for glyphosate, a key ingredient in the weed control product Roundup.

A summary of the agency's findings has been published on the website of the journal The Lancet Oncology.

... "Malathion also caused tumours in rodent studies. Malathion caused DNA and chromosomal damage and also disrupted hormone pathways," the agency's news release states in part.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 15:13:17

Since we have had posts outright denying any harm from glyphosate, here is something for them to chew on:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22331240

Glyphosate (G) is the largest selling herbicide worldwide; the most common formulations (Roundup, R) contain polyoxyethyleneamine as main surfactant. Recent findings indicate that G exposure may cause DNA damage and cancer in humans. Aim of this investigation was to study the cytotoxic and genotoxic properties of G and R (UltraMax) in a buccal epithelial cell line (TR146), as workers are exposed via inhalation to the herbicide. R induced acute cytotoxic effects at concentrations > 40 mg/l after 20 min, which were due to membrane damage and impairment of mitochondrial functions. With G, increased release of extracellular lactate dehydrogenase indicative for membrane damage was observed at doses > 80 mg/l. Both G and R induced DNA migration in single-cell gel electrophoresis assays at doses > 20 mg/l. Furthermore, an increase of nuclear aberrations that reflect DNA damage was observed. The frequencies of micronuclei and nuclear buds were elevated after 20-min exposure to 10-20 mg/l, while nucleoplasmatic bridges were only enhanced by R at the highest dose (20 mg/l). R was under all conditions more active than its active principle (G). Comparisons with results of earlier studies with lymphocytes and cells from internal organs indicate that epithelial cells are more susceptible to the cytotoxic and DNA-damaging properties of the herbicide and its formulation. Since we found genotoxic effects after short exposure to concentrations that correspond to a 450-fold dilution of spraying used in agriculture, our findings indicate that inhalation may cause DNA damage in exposed individuals.

No problem, it's all good. If you question, then you must be a nut.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:03:03

Diss, "Since we have had posts outright denying any harm from glyphosate, here is something for them to chew on" You must be talking to me? I may have come on too strong. I respect your opinions on the international front but not here. Sorry bout dat

My problem is I spent 20 years of my life in the natural food business where there is much fear and anguish over farm chemicals. But you needn't worry about your food, any of it. The American consumer is well taken care. We are special people and will not stand for any poison in our food.

As I always understood it, the problem with farm chemicals is on the farm . . . the workers who are in contact with the material all day long. And the critters poisoned from run off. There have been vast improvement in farm-worker safety. As for the environment . . . f#ck it. We are the lords and ladies and will screw the planet, our nest and pooch all together. At the same time.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Pops » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:19:13

Dis, you should be happy then that 2,4-d will now be back in a big way, get rid of that baddy glyphosate that 1 study thinks "may" cause damage.

At least we know where we stand with agent orange.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:20:36

So the farmer spraying it needs to wear a respirator? That is not a surprise with any chemical that can kill anything. The question is does the resulting crop carry a residue at a harmful dose?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:24:42

vtsnowedin wrote:So the farmer spraying it needs to wear a respirator? That is not a surprise with any chemical that can kill anything. The question is does the resulting crop carry a residue at a harmful dose?
NO There is no residue. Period. The fragile American consumer is safe.

Screw the rest of the planet though.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:40:13

pstarr wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:So the farmer spraying it needs to wear a respirator? That is not a surprise with any chemical that can kill anything. The question is does the resulting crop carry a residue at a harmful dose?

From the original post ...

...The Department of Agriculture does not test food for glyphosate residues, but in 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency raised the allowed limits of glyphosate residues on fruits and vegetables.

Don't you know - What you don't know can't hurt you. Same reason radiation monitors were turned off after Fukushima.

vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Pops » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:50:24

I don't know but guess it is unlikely that there would be any residues, I've read G dissipates quickly. And on both corn and beans it is sprayed generally right before planting and or a few weeks after germination when the crop is still small. It isn't sprayed after the canopy is closed, so months pass between spraying and harvest.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 16:55:59

Rachel Carson warned of this back in 1962 with the book "Silent Spring", ever since it has only gotten worse. Is it a wonder cancers are skyrocketing around the world. We are just maniacal in contaminating the planet with all sorts of chemicals. We all on this planet seem to be living on borrowed time. Sometimes I really wonder how is it that we all do not just start dropping like flies. I just wonder how long these chemicals will last in the environment. Nothing more to say but it really is a shame what we have done to our planet. :(
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 17:03:35

vox_mundi wrote:
pstarr wrote:

From the original post ...

...The Department of Agriculture does not test food for glyphosate residues, but in 2013, the Environmental Protection Agency raised the allowed limits of glyphosate residues on fruits and vegetables.

Don't you know - What you don't know can't hurt you. Same reason radiation monitors were turned off after Fukushima.
You must be new to hysteria? It will pass.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 17:30:43

I would like to get past the hysteria and the corporate propaganda and get to the truth of the matter and please note that I admit to not knowing what the truth is today.
Perhaps the question is if a chemical allows production of enough extra food to feed a billion people and one hundred million of them got cancer and died early but not before they had their children on average would the other 900 million people vote to ban that chemical?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 17:52:44

vtsnowedin wrote:I would like to get past the hysteria and the corporate propaganda and get to the truth of the matter and please note that I admit to not knowing what the truth is today.
Perhaps the question is if a chemical allows production of enough extra food to feed a billion people and one hundred million of them got cancer and died early but not before they had their children on average would the other 900 million people vote to ban that chemical?
The corporate propaganda is now from the foodie side of the aisle. VERY LARGE very corporate 'natural' and organic food companies benefit mightily from consumer fears. You would be surprised what entities control what health-food product lines.

http://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Organic-chart-feb-2014.jpg
(This image-web of corporate organic is immense. I couldn't paste the img file.)

In 1995 there were 81 independent organic processing companies in the United States. A decade later, Big Food had gobbled up all but 15 of them.

Corporate consolidation of the food system has been largely hidden from consumers. That’s changing, thanks to tools such as Philip H. Howard’s widely circulated “Who Owns Organic?” infographic. Originally published in 2003, the chart provides a snapshot of the structure of the organic industry, showing the acquisitions and alliances of the top 100 food processors in North America. The chart empowers consumers to see at a glance which companies dominate the organic marketplace.

They want you to be scared!

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Pops » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 19:16:07

I think that is right, there is a bigger picture. The reason farmers apply herbicides isn't to impress their neighbors, it is to increase yields. Without herbicides it is diesel fueled tillage or less food.

So yeah, herbicides are poison, whodathuink it?

But then so is diesel, and definitely and certainly the options are worse, here is the EPA on 2,4-d

Acute: EPA has found 2,4-D to potentially cause nervous system damage from short-term exposures at levels above the MCL.
Drinking water levels of 2,4-D which are considered "safe" for short-term exposures: For a 10-kg (22 lb.) child consuming 1 liter of water per day, a one-day exposure of 1 mg/L, or a ten-day exposure to 0.3 mg/L.
Chronic: 2,4-D has the potential to cause damage to the nervous system, kidneys and liver from longterm exposure at levels above the MCL.

And there are 75 more citations in the link I posted above detailing the harm of 2,4d — it was supposed to be replaced by the newer chemicals like roundup.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 21:00:07

"the options are worse"

NOT using poisons is worse than poisons??? :roll: :P
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 21:02:40

dohboi wrote:"the options are worse"

NOT using poisons is worse than poisons??? :roll: :P
How would you feed the hungry masses if you were king? Please be so kind as not to mention permaculture or fairy queens.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 21 Mar 2015, 21:04:35

This thread is so full of false dichotomies and sloganeering, it's hard to know where to start. I'm not going to bother right now. Bed looks too welcoming.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Next

Return to Environment