Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When will prices break the current record?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: When will prices break the current record?

Unread postby peripato » Wed 12 Aug 2015, 17:58:34

copious.abundance wrote:According to peripato's chart, and his reasoning, there were, in reality, no recessions between about 1963 and 1998, because the LFPR was rising. Even though there really were. After all, if the LFPR is going to be our measure of what constitutes a recession/recovery, then there cannot be a recession when it is rising, if, as he claims, there cannot be a recovery when it is falling.

As for the velocity of money, its current low level has everything to do with the Fed's purchase of treasuries the past several years. If it weren't for that, it would be a lot more normal-looking. You'll have to research that yourself.

You see, the doom and gloom crowd is pretty desperate these days to find some way to claim there has been no recovery, so they're forced to cherry pick increasingly obscure stats and mis-interpret other stats in order to maintain their illusion of doom. But then, I've been pointing out that for at least 3-4 years too.

Sanctimonious git.
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 12 Aug 2015, 18:00:57

copious.abundance is dead on point. Your ad-homs don't refute that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 12 Aug 2015, 19:10:51

It's too bad Cog has only recently come around to my p.o.v. If he had done the same in 2009, he'd be $100 richer. :lol:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 15 Aug 2015, 11:19:19

copious.abundance wrote:You see, the doom and gloom crowd is pretty desperate these days to find some way to claim there has been no recovery, so they're forced to cherry pick increasingly obscure stats and mis-interpret other stats in order to maintain their illusion of doom.

I think you've nailed it on this one. The rationalizations and reframing has become so hard to follow, often relying on inverse logic that fails common-sense litmus-tests. Really, peak-oil seemed so simple when I first discovered it 10 years ago. Hubbert's curve, and when we fall off the peak, then mutant zombie bikers. Simple, terrifying, easy to understand. Now we're all supposed to still be pissing our pants in fear when oil is hitting new lows and stores are still chock full of cheap food? It doesn't compute.

Peak oil has lost its branding.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Sat 15 Aug 2015, 11:47:02

copious.abundance wrote:It's too bad Cog has only recently come around to my p.o.v. If he had done the same in 2009, he'd be $100 richer. :lol:

That is a fact. But fortunately my education only cost me $100, but by getting off the doomer-train, I've made that back many times over.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 15 Aug 2015, 13:21:11

Still amazing to see how many folks think current LOWER oil prices and higher production rates indicate that there not very bad times coming for the world with respect to energy. Sorta like the passengers on the Titanic that thought it was cool to put ice in their drinks after it fell from berg on to the deck after they hit it. And the band played on. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 15 Aug 2015, 13:25:51

With the money I have saved on fuel bills, I have bought another AR so it is sort of works its way out in the end. [smilie=new_snipersmilie.gif]
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Tue 18 Aug 2015, 15:12:47

ROCKMAN wrote:Still amazing to see how many folks think current LOWER oil prices and higher production rates indicate that there not very bad times coming for the world with respect to energy. Sorta like the passengers on the Titanic that thought it was cool to put ice in their drinks after it fell from berg on to the deck after they hit it. And the band played on. LOL

Its kind of like a chess game. Its very hard for most..except for the experienced player...to see more than a move or two down the road. Prices where they are now look like we are "out of the woods", possibly for quite some time, but the reality is this may be the worst shock the oil and energy industry may sustain in modern times. I see a lot of strange looks, comments, and basic incredulity from analysts at the low price point we are enjoying presently. Everyone thinks its due to a glut of production, which is partly true. That is an easy notion to buy off on and one the punditry uses because right now it is irrefutable save for anyone with half of a brain that has been following this story for more than a decade. The "why" part is where most folks fall off the bus.

The reason for the "shock" is the part that is NOT intuitive to most since it makes no sense. I think most of us understand it and the mechanisms at play. While we are inside this protective and warm fuzzy bubble of low prices and STILL abundant production the corny's and the rest of the "low Info" crowd will use the present paradigm to make those of us who get it look like a bunch of looney tunes ;) Its always been like that with these sorts of things. I really could care less anymore about arguing the point. It truly is a dynamic and important time for the energy world and very big and interesting things are coming for all of us.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby AirlinePilot » Tue 18 Aug 2015, 15:21:29

ennui2 wrote:Peak oil has lost its branding.

Yup, I actually agree with that. It was wiped out by the largest stick save in modern history. The creation of the largest deficits and debt in the entire history of the United States and several very large Western monetary systems(if not ALL of them!).

There is an end game to that and the Peak of global oil production is tightly correlated with it. My personal feeling is that it wont be hard to understand once we get there. Right now its a very tough nut to crack for the average casual observer, but once we move into the time where debt can no longer be sustained it will become PAINFULLY obvious.
AirlinePilot

Unread postby sparky » Tue 18 Aug 2015, 18:00:36

If one observe the crude oil price trend , it become obvious it is plagued by a boom and bust sequence
it take about 6 years to go from a high to a low ,
in system analysis it it the sign of an unstable feedback loop , in this case the supply/demand response.
the high get higher and the lows lower at each cycle .
so , when will prices break the current record?
for my two cents , 2021 ....an humungous tsunami of money bidding for drips
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby peripato » Tue 18 Aug 2015, 19:57:02

Cog wrote:copious.abundance is dead on point. Your ad-homs don't refute that.

Bite me
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 17:04:41

peripato wrote:
Cog wrote:copious.abundance is dead on point. Your ad-homs don't refute that.

Bite me

copious.abundance should spike the football and say he's off to Disney World if ad homs like these are the best that peakers can muster.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby JimBof » Thu 20 Aug 2015, 21:34:30

AirlinePilot wrote:
ennui2 wrote:Peak oil has lost its branding.

Yup, I actually agree with that. It was wiped out by the largest stick save in modern history. The creation of the largest deficits and debt in the entire history of the United States and several very large Western monetary systems(if not ALL of them!).

There is an end game to that and the Peak of global oil production is tightly correlated with it. My personal feeling is that it wont be hard to understand once we get there. Right now its a very tough nut to crack for the average casual observer, but once we move into the time where debt can no longer be sustained it will become PAINFULLY obvious.

Greece obviously has no chance to pay its debts. The UK could do it in a couple of years if they tried. Australia? our debt is relatively low but our politicians could not organise a F***up in a brothel. The USA pay its debts? EVER?
JimBof
Peat
Peat

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion