Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What time tomorrow does the world end?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: What time tomorrow does the world end?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 25 Dec 2012, 17:34:14

Like a competition for 'who can be the biggest asshole in America... EVER.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 25 Dec 2012, 20:23:18

SeaGypsy wrote:Like a competition for 'who can be the biggest asshole in America... EVER.

ROFLMAO! There are far far too many candidates for that position to even name them all ;)
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Econ101 » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 13:23:32

vision-master wrote:Yeah, no humor on the topic today, it will come and pass and the world will continue.

That’s what I don’t like about global warming and peak oil end of the world declarations. They don’t have a date certain like the Mayans did. We could plan and prepare and those of us that did are so thankful that we survived and the world goes on.

It’s different for the end of the worlds predicted by global warming and peak oil. Those ends are indefinite and require us to prepare in an endless fashion as the theories are adjusted for all new conflicting information. These end of the world businesses, Al Gore is now richer than Mit Romney, seem to have found a way to be perpetually relevant in holding power and making millions from us as we perpetually prepare for the worst they can predict.

I think there should be a law forcing end of the world businesses to name a date certain and after that date they can no longer sell their wares for that end of the world scenario, they would have to find a different end of the world business model.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Econ101 » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 13:32:05

vision-master wrote:Theory? Does the earth not travel around the Sun in cycles?

Fishman is a classic example of the sheeple mentality.

Hey fish, your Jesus will save you........ lsol

:lol: Thats funny!

Although physics tells us time is not directional there are no examples of it in our reality. Affect does not precede cause. Sure the earth travels around the sun, but in only one direction. The cycles within the stream of time are simply eddies and currents in the ever flowing stream of time which does move in a linear direction, either forward or backward as physics tells us, but not in circles.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 14:09:48

Why then is Christmas always on Dec 25th?

Note: The circle.....
vision-master

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 15:29:13

WTF VM Xmas is on Dec 25th because thats when it is.

Like my birthday is October 30th so it tends to stay on that date every year.

What are you getting at?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 15:35:17

You have been hijacked by the Vatican....... lsol
vision-master

Unread postby Econ101 » Fri 11 Jan 2013, 12:46:25

The geometry of the clock is not descriptive of the flow of time vision-master. It is simply the easiest and most efficient way to show people what time of day it is. Of course days are in succession, but is time the rising and setting of the sun? The voyager spacecraft dont have a rising and setting sun or a round clock, do they not have time?

I think the jump from a clock in a circle to declaring time is circular is indicative of the failed logic and easy sell faulty logic provides for many with something false to sell, ie. al gore.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 11 Jan 2013, 13:22:02

Help me with this shorty?

vision-master

Unread postby Beery1 » Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:29:34

Honestly, this thread is beginning to make me understand that some folks on here are just fricken nuts. I guess some people will argue over the sky being blue. Next, someone will claim that the clock makers are in a secret society controlled by Colonel Sanders and the Pentavirate.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:36:33

De Lubicz says an interesting thing while talking about the Egyptians use of Sirius to time their yearly calendar events. He said:

For it is remarkable that owing to the precession of the equinoxes, on the one hand, and the movement of Sirius on the other, the position of the sun with respect to Sirius is displaced in the same direction, almost exactly to the same extent. [R.A. Schwaller de Lubicz, Sacred Science, Inner Traditions (1982)

It was this short statement that launched Karl on his decision to find out if this was true. His detailed observations over a 20 year period show definitively that Sirius does not precess. This may have been why the Egyptians were so interested in Sirius and why it’s heliacal rising (first annual appearance of the star just before sun rise) became the calibration point for their calendar system. The beauty of their use of Sirius is that they did not have to worry about leap years at all and yet this system will maintain accuracy better than the Gregorian calendar. What Pope Gregory’s experts didn’t know was this crucial piece of information: Sirius does not precess.

link
vision-master

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 12 Jan 2013, 11:58:19

Narz wrote:The world will end when Roccman says it will of course. :roll:

Didn't he already say it will? Isn't he still in his bunker?
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 12 Jan 2013, 12:05:58

Beery1 wrote:Honestly, this thread is beginning to make me understand that some folks on here are just fricken nuts. I guess some people will argue over the sky being blue. Next, someone will claim that the clock makers are in a secret society controlled by Colonel Sanders and the Pentavirate.

I don't have the patience to look back in the archive, but I can pretty much guarantee you that vision-master pushed the mayan calendar doom at one time (he's pushed pretty much every other piece of quackery there is, even if the theory is mutually exclusive with another) so for him to disavow it now, since it clearly wasn't going to be the end of the world, is pretty pathetic. And for him to scold those who do (or should I say did?) believe the mayan calendar doom for being superstitious idiots and then proceed to peddle a whole host of other quackery that is just as implausible if not worse is the pot calling the kettle black, but you can't expect people who are nuts to be aware that they're nuts. Locking horns with the likes of v-m can make for a fun pass-time when you're bored but is the sort of thing that would cause anyone who first pops in here to think the entire topic of peak oil is quackery.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 12 Jan 2013, 13:28:17

lol - 2012 wasn't about the world comming to an end, what sheeple ppl TV shows did you watch?
vision-master

Unread postby Beery1 » Sun 13 Jan 2013, 18:00:58

ennui2 wrote:
Beery1 wrote:Honestly, this thread is beginning to make me understand that some folks on here are just fricken nuts. I guess some people will argue over the sky being blue. Next, someone will claim that the clock makers are in a secret society controlled by Colonel Sanders and the Pentavirate.

I don't have the patience to look back in the archive, but I can pretty much guarantee you that vision-master pushed the mayan calendar doom at one time (he's pushed pretty much every other piece of quackery there is, even if the theory is mutually exclusive with another) so for him to disavow it now, since it clearly wasn't going to be the end of the world, is pretty pathetic...

Yeah. A few weeks ago he was on the Erich von Daeniken 'Chariots of the Gods' bandwagen, and I thought that was all debunked decades ago.
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 13 Jan 2013, 19:02:52

Anything can be debunked, debunked doesn't always mean truth.

How wus the back section cut out?

Berry interesting....... lsol

vision-master

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 14 Jan 2013, 14:49:42

vision-master wrote:How wus the back section cut out?

It may make you feel important to keep presenting yourself as someone who has your finger on arcane information, but I can assure you that however the "back section was cut out" has no relevance whatsoever to the subjectmatter of peak oil, global warming, or limits to growth. Pushing one flavor of quackery while knocking others for believing in Mayan calendar doom just makes you look like a hypocrite. And I know when you read posts like mine your only response is to dredge up yet another "hmm, how did this happen?" image, so in the end it doesn't feel like I'm communicating with a full person, just as Planty doesn't seem like a full person since all he ever does is reply with Obama caricatures.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 14 Jan 2013, 15:32:23

peak oil
global warming
limits to growth.

Sounds like some kind of religion to me?

Why did you forget to add Darwin and his silly monkey to man theory.

OR some other nonsense on how we evolved from caveman to our present high state.
vision-master

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 14 Jan 2013, 15:38:55

vision-master wrote:How wus the back section cut out?

I assume they would use the standard techniques that people have been using for millennia - cut a rough opening and then smooth it out. The Incas did it with hard stone tools, which have been found.

The thing is, you present these context-free photos as if they prove anything. Heck, it's not even that difficult to carve rock, and that rock could have been cut out by anything, from ancient tools to modern ones, or by some sort of natural means. The existence of a rock with a square cut out of it only proves that there's a square cut out of a rock. A rational person doesn't go immediately from there to space aliens.

Heck, it's not even a very precise square.
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 14 Jan 2013, 16:20:59

How about pre-Inca?

vision-master

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion