Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What's the worst place to live when we run out of oil?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: What's the worst place to live when we run out of oil?

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 14:46:10

pstarr wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:Anywhere with a high population density would be a bad place to live I.e. China because places with high population densities have less space for growing food
Actually the best of all worlds are places of high density surrounded by areas of very low density . . . farms. Unfortunately that model has succumbed to suburbia in most of the world :cry:

Large towns or small cities (pop 200,000) surrounded by sufficient land to produce sufficient food for it so less reliant on others and spaced far enough from the next town would be an ideal situation.

Few places in the world have that luxury though.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 16:25:03

I always see divided highways a pretty good farmland, for a few. Good slopes and drainage, some retention ponds for limited irrigation. And a nice path to pull your cart on.

Gotta be positive.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 21:47:44

Avoid places with high concentrations of people with high expectations.
Try and avoid people who subscribe to the "if you work hard you will get ahead" mythology.
Though their unquestioning drive may be utilised after collapse.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JohnnyOnTheFarm » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 21:57:41

DesuMaiden wrote:Please tell me. I live in Kitchener, Ontario. I am moving to Hamilton, Ontario next spring. Are those bad places to be when we run out of oil?

When "we" run out of oil? Canada has enough tar sand oil to keep your country in oil for your lifetime, easily. So "you" are good to go for your entire life.

Now the REST of us.... 8O
JohnnyOnTheFarm
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 01:01:55

pstarr wrote:Like this?
Or this? :
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 14:54:00

JohnnyOnTheFarm wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:Please tell me. I live in Kitchener, Ontario. I am moving to Hamilton, Ontario next spring. Are those bad places to be when we run out of oil?

When "we" run out of oil? Canada has enough tar sand oil to keep your country in oil for your lifetime, easily. So "you" are good to go for your entire life.

Canada probably uses around 2 million barrels of oil every single day. The production for the tar sands will never exceed 3 to 3.5 million barrels a day. Also much of the tar sands oil is exported to other countries.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JohnnyOnTheFarm » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 20:49:12

DesuMaiden wrote:
JohnnyOnTheFarm wrote:

Canada probably uses around 2 million barrels of oil every single day. The production for the tar sands will never exceed 3 to 3.5 million barrels a day. Also much of the tar sands oil is exported to other countries.

So...if your usage grows to equal production, you won't export, you'll keep it for yourselves. And you've got enough for this century. So any place in Canada sounds pretty good, oil wise, for your lifetime probably. Enjoy.
JohnnyOnTheFarm
Wood
Wood

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 21:53:40

JohnnyOnTheFarm wrote:

So...if your usage grows to equal production, you won't export, you'll keep it for yourselves. And you've got enough for this century. So any place in Canada sounds pretty good, oil wise, for your lifetime probably. Enjoy.

Good point.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 22:28:25

pstarr wrote:
JohnnyOnTheFarm wrote:So any place in Canada sounds pretty good, oil wise, for your lifetime probably. Enjoy.

Except the US border, or anywhere within 7,918 miles of it. Sheila and the Kids need their precious tar-sands oil to drive to the mall, and for band practice. And don't forget Dad's bass-fishing and his skidooo and stuff. Really! The selfishnessness of those canucks. :-x

Couldn't the USA just invade Canada for the oil that the Canadians refuse to export to the USA?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JohnnyOnTheFarm » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 22:58:13

DesuMaiden wrote:
pstarr wrote:
JohnnyOnTheFarm wrote:So any place in Canada sounds pretty good, oil wise, for your lifetime probably. Enjoy.

Except the US border, or anywhere within 7,918 miles of it. Sheila and the Kids need their precious tar-sands oil to drive to the mall, and for band practice. And don't forget Dad's bass-fishing and his skidooo and stuff. Really! The selfishnessness of those canucks. :-x

Couldn't the USA just invade Canada for the oil that the Canadians refuse to export to the USA?

Absolutely. A downside to being Canadian when it comes crunch time, and the most capable military power in the history of the world is your southern neighbor. The English speakers in the west probably won't even mind being an American colony, they don't seem to like the whining Frenchies in the east any more than Americans would.
JohnnyOnTheFarm
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 00:20:58

Being a Dualie I would be really confused!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby sparky » Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:01:46

Canada is exporting all its oil to the US ,it's a one customer market and they are getting ripped off , big time.
that's what the Keystone pipeline is all about stopping Canadian exports
now the Ottawa geniuses are sick of it and are pushing for Eastern and Western pipeline
suddenly , the ecological concerns are going to evaporate and Keystone will be build
I hope the Canadians will build their pipes anyway
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 10:53:33

So I guess Canada is the best place to live once oil becomes too scarce. It is a good thing I already live in Canada I guess. But right now I am living in China for this November.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Revi » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 15:21:31

Maine might be okay in a hardscrabble kind of way. Of course everyone else might want to move here, and then we'll be overcrowded with others eking a living, but what's the difference?
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 04:19:00

Revi wrote:Maine might be okay in a hardscrabble kind of way. Of course everyone else might want to move here, and then we'll be overcrowded with others eking a living, but what's the difference?

What is so great about Maine?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 07:01:27

DesuMaiden wrote:
Revi wrote:Maine might be okay in a hardscrabble kind of way. Of course everyone else might want to move here, and then we'll be overcrowded with others eking a living, but what's the difference?

Lobstahas, steamahas, cod , haddock, maple syrup, wood heated houses, potaoes, soldier beans, moose , deer, turkeys, neighbors that mind their own business but will lend a hand when you need one. etc.
Sort of like Vermont plus seafood and without Chittenden county.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby basil_hayden » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 13:11:09

vtsnowedin wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:

Lobstahas, steamahas, cod , haddock, maple syrup, wood heated houses, potaoes, soldier beans, moose , deer, turkeys, neighbors that mind their own business but will lend a hand when you need one. etc.
Sort of like Vermont plus seafood and without Chittenden county.

Just everything I value dearly (except VT cheddar), and without 5 1/2 CT counties that are as annoying as Chittenden.
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion