Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What percentage of the population knows about peak oil?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: What percentage of the population knows about peak oil?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 18:36:48

MonteQuest wrote:
Tanada wrote:I need to learn how to cook Carp, Lake Erie is my best bet for a long term food supply and it has zillions of Carp most people do not eat. Big ones.

I eat carp all the time here in Missouri. Deep fried with cornmeal is best. But learning how to "score" the fish is key to getting around all the bones.

Like any 'muddy' fish, a day or two in clean water helps, as does bleeding thoroughly. We have massive amounts of feral carp in the southern rivers of Oz, I like them marinated in vinegar with garlic & onion, few spices, no heat. This is supposed to be the best as far as nutritional value goes.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 19:44:17

Back to the original question, how many know?

I supect the answer lies here...

solution-aversion-t70519.html

In short, damn few.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 19:44:49

I hate catfish, never tried carp.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 06:52:47

Newfie wrote:I hate catfish, never tried carp.

Catfish actually tastes pretty good
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 09:21:53

pstarr wrote:
Tanada wrote:I need to learn how to cook Carp, Lake Erie is my best bet for a long term food supply and it has zillions of Carp most people do not eat. Big ones.
The issue with carp are the bones and the muddy taste. The wife's great uncle kept a carp in a rain barrel next to the house to flush out the river taste. The fish need almost no aeration, and a little vegetable matter for food. Deep fried sounds yummy. Apparently it is a traditional czech/polish Christmas dish.

When I had my obligatory state history class in Jr. High School I learned that Erie, Michigan used to be the carp capitol of the midwest. During the 1920's they had huge ponds like rice paddies full of carp and once every week or so they would pump them into water tank freight cars on the railroad and ship them live to the fish markets in NYC. When the Great Depression hit the immigrants in NYC couldn't afford the shipping costs, the farms went broke and dumped the remaining fish into the lake.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby wildbourgman » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 09:35:55

Here's a better question what percentage of the American population know what oil is ?
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 15:09:50

wildbourgman wrote:Here's a better question what percentage of the American population know what oil is ?

I am pretty sure everyone knows what oil is.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 08 Nov 2014, 21:58:31

"I am pretty sure everyone knows what oil is." I wouldn't bet too much on that. Some time ago I heard a chap say "We didn't to be drilling more oil wells...we should be drilling more gasoline wells". He really did. As far as the article below given his resources I assume Mr. Redford is more knowledgeable then the average citizen:

Silver screen star Robert Redford is a successful and respected actor for a good reason. For an hour or two, his films allow the audience to escape into a world of fiction, a world that’s removed from reality, a world that’s entertainment. His latest movie, a short film on the Canadian oil sands, is no different: it has little grounding in reality. In fact, it makes a number of false claims in a script whose only outstanding quality is a lack of facts. To my knowledge, Redford has never visited the Canadian oil sands. Had he done so, he would have seen an industrial operation that, like any other industrial operation, does have an impact on the environment. But he would also have seen that this important resource – important not only to Canada but also to Redford’s home country – is being developed with a major focus on reducing environmental impacts on land, air and water.

Had Redford done any research other than borrow speaking points from environmental activists, he would have come across a number of facts that would have told a different story. We did this basic research for him.

Redford says Canadian oil sands crude “is the dirtiest oil on the plant.”

Fact is that Californian and Venezuelan heavy oils are as or more greenhouse gas intensive than Canadian oil sands crude. Oil sands crude is nine per cent more intensive than the U.S. crude supply average on a wells-to-wheels basis, according to IHS CERA, and our industry is working to further reduce these numbers. For example, crude oil produced from the most recent oil sands mining operations, on a life-cycle basis, is two per cent more GHG intensive than the average barrel refined in the U.S.

Redford says that developing the Canadian oil sands “is destroying our great northern forest at a terrifying rate.”

Fact is that only 0.02 per cent of Canada’s boreal forest has been disturbed by oil sands mining operations over the past 40 years. Since the 1960s, about 10 per cent of the active mining footprint has been or is being reclaimed by industry. In addition, all lands disturbed by oil sands development must be fully reclaimed under Canada’s laws. Industry understands the need to hasten reclamation and we are focused on delivering on these expectations.

Redford says the Canadian oil sands are “producing enough carbon pollution to wreak havoc with our climate for decades to come.”

Fact is that oil sands account for 0.14 per cent of global GHG emissions. Producers have reduced carbon dioxide emissions per barrel by 26 per cent since 1990 and continue to reduce emissions intensity. They are required by Alberta law to do so, or contribute in other ways to reduce emissions such as paying a carbon levy of $15 per tonne into a technology fund aimed at innovation to further reduce emissions. Many other oil exporting countries have no such requirements.

Redford says “pipelines that carry this toxic tar sands fuel are a direct threat to our own drinking water supplies.”

Fact is that a 2013 report by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences concluded that oil sands crude is no more corrosive than comparable heavy crudes, which are already transported by pipeline in the U.S., and in many cases may be less corrosive.

Redford says the Canadian oil sands “is exactly the kind of energy we can no longer afford.”

Fact is that global demand for all forms of energy is expected to increase 35 per cent by 2035 because of economic growth and improving quality of life in developed and developing countries, according to the International Energy Agency. While the share of renewable sources of energy is growing, most economists agree that the lion’s share of growing global energy demand will be met by fossil fuels for the foreseeable future.

These are the facts that never made it into Redford’s script. We respect his right to his opinion, a right that’s fundamental to our society. At the same time, we believe reasonable people recognize these anti-fossil fuel arguments are unrealistic or, in some cases, just plain false – the world needs all forms of energy, developed responsibly, to meet its demand.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:14:28

So I guess very few people know about peak oil. Otherwise,this site would be a lot more popular than it is. I hope more people realize what peak oil is and its implications.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 09:28:39

Religion argument moved too topic70568.html

Please try and stay on topic.

I think by this time most Americans heard of Peak Oil back during the big run up of prices from 2005-2008, but have long since dismissed it because the world did not end as many of the thought leaders in the Peak Oil Aware group predicted it was going too.

So the number who 'knows' is quite different from the number who 'believe in' and even among the believers very few have actual knowledge of how oil is extracted and processed like our few real experts around here.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Timo » Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:35:59

Thank you, Tanada, for stating the obvious. It is obvious to us, but not to everyone, and that's precisely why many of the problems we are collectively facing exist today. There's a much bigger picture to how the world works than just driving to the gas station and filling up with petrol. When i try to explain how the extraction process factors into the final sales price of a gallon of gas, very, very few people are able to understand and put it all together.

Funny thing, though - Everyone does understand completely the rise and fall in the price of wheat, and its relationship to a loaf of bread.
Timo

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:03:45

What percentage of the population knows the name of the ocean off the CA coast? been quite a few years since I saw this NATIONAL poll of I think about 20,000 high school seniors. About 40% couldn't identify it as the Pacific Ocean. And those are now our 20 somethings who we wonder about their appreciation of PO. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:41:16

Pstarr – Couldn’t find that original link. But here’s one I just found. Wasn’t familiar with this site. But they appear to be rather “unbiased’’ in the sense that take shots at all bullshit ne it from R’s, D’s, conservatives or liberals. You can judge for yourself. http://hotair.com/

From: http://hotair.com/archives/2011/01/30/v ... hypocrite/

Ann McIlhenny and Phelim McAleer…have decided to focus on short films that look at the individual hypocrisies of environmental activists. In their latest edition, they feature Robert Redford, who used the earnings from his film career to buy a large preserve in Utah, a vineyard in Napa Valley, and a reputation for environmental activism. Only McIlhenney and McAleer note that the activism seems to be the do-as-I-say variety:

Redford is one of the main opponents of a plan by the Pacific Union College to build an eco-village in Angwin, California. The college says it needs the funds because of a dire financial situation. The village is close to Redford’s vineyard in the Napa Valley. However whilst publicly opposing this development “to preserve the rural heritage” Redford has been quietly selling development lots in the Sundance Preserve for $2 million. These lots are intended for vacation homes close to Redford’s Sundance Ski Resort.

The double standard is revealed in a short film “Robert Redford - Hypocrite” which has just been released. Film director Ann McElhinney said the film is not criticizing Redford for selling his property. “It is great that in a recession Mr Redford can find so many buyers. I am delighted that those houses will be built, creating jobs and vitality in a remote area but it is shocking that Mr Redford would deny others similar opportunities to make a profit and create jobs.”

The film’s co-director Phelim McAleer said the film was highlighting the double standards of so many celebrities and environmentalists. “This is just another example of environmental elites telling the rest of us how and where we must live and what we are not allowed to do, but thinking that those rules don’t apply to themselves. Robert Redford has shown himself to be a hypocrite – plain and simple,” said McAleer.

In contrast, when environmentalists wanted to build “eco-homes” (with presumably slightly smaller footprints and price tags) near his Napa Valley vineyard, he organized to stop them. Actor and environmentalist Robert Redford has stepped out against the controversial Angwin eco-village, announcing that he will join the local group Save Rural Angwin.
An eight-year resident of the Napa Valley, Redford will serve on SRA’s 13-member Advisory Council, leading the group in its efforts to defeat the eco-village proposal. “I believe that the citizens of Napa Valley, from American Canyon to Calistoga, care about preserving our beautiful agricultural and rural heritage,” Redford said in a prepared statement. “That is why I am happy to join the Advisory Council of Save Rural Angwin in its efforts to preserve this naturally carved land-basin from development.”

Redford, who has lived in Napa for the past eight years, has lent his not inconsiderable support to a campaign that opposes a proposed eco-friendly housing development on 63 acres in the wine country village of Angwin. If approved, the Angwin Ecovillage would consist of 275 housing units, 15% of which would be affordable, and a 105-unit retirement/assisted living center. Green features include solar energy, wastewater reuse, an electric car-sharing program and an organic farm cooperative.

And from the obviously rapid conservatives in San Francisco: The San Francisco Chronicle pointed out the NIMBYism, as well as the fact that the eco-home project would have provided around 40 units of “affordable housing” to the Napa area and a hundred assisted-living units.

And that film – released on YouTube – also shows how Redford has campaigned against “dirty fuels” and wants to end the use of oil whilst promoting flying by doing lucrative voice overs for a series of United Airlines commercials. Is Redford aware that United Airlines jets use oil-based fuel, just like every other airline? If they write a big enough check, does he care?

{BTW you do agree that even if you and I don't like the source of the information it doesn't change any FACTS presented, right? LOL}
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 00:22:39

ROCKMAN wrote:Pstarr – Couldn’t find that original link.

Calgary Herald ? :)
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion