Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

We are on our last cars.

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: We are on our last cars.

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 18:46:38

or
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Revi » Thu 05 Feb 2015, 09:07:35

I came across this in Shortonoil's posting.
Optimistic estimates place the world's total petroleum reserve at 4,300 billion barrels. Of that quantity the ETP model predicts that it will be possible to extract 1,760.5 billion barrels.

So therefore I have to revise it to 210,000 miles left per vehicle on the planet.

That's the URR, so it will undoubtedly be far worse than that, but it's a kind of best case scenario.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 05 Feb 2015, 11:00:55

Except the "ETP" is wrong.

And not only wrong but it shows just how wrong it is by affecting such precision - he has the total oil consumption of the world, forever, calculated down to .5 billion barrels - that's 5 days consumption!

LOLOL, if he is that good, why is he sharing the info when he should be rolling in his billions on a yacht somewhere?

ETA:I guess I should say his precision is .1 billion barrels, approx. 1 day's consumption
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Thu 05 Feb 2015, 12:18:39

I would also like to point out that it is unlikely we will ever create another 800 million new vehicles because cars require a huge amount of oil to create. It takes 27 to 54 barrels of oil to produce the average 5-person vehicle. Bigger vehicles like trucks and buses require much more oil to produce. It probably takes hundreds of barrels of oil to create a truck or bus because they are much larger than an average 5-person vehicle.

There is no way we can have 800 million new internal-combustion engine vehicles because there ain't going to be enough oil to make them. There is also no way we can replace the 800 million internal-combustion engine vehicles with electric cars because there ain't going to be enough oil to make those electric vehicles with. It requires a huge amount of resources, namely oil, to replace all of the current internal-combustion engine vehicles with electric vehicles.

While electric cars sound good in theory, their implementation is severely limited by the amount of resources we have available for making them. Namely our oil resources because all cars (regardless of their power source) require oil in their manufacture. But there ain't enough oil to produce 800 million electric-powered vehicles.

Also there is the issue of the batteries of electric cars. The batteries of electric cars are made from lithium, but there isn't enough lithium to make that many batteries with.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Thu 05 Feb 2015, 12:23:14

That's only about 10 years of production @2014 rates. We'd better hope that production doesn't fall to zero in that time.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/2668 ... ince-2009/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Thu 05 Feb 2015, 23:07:24

Pops wrote:That's only about 10 years of production @2014 rates. We'd better hope that production doesn't fall to zero in that time.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/2668 ... ince-2009/

What makes you think production will fall to zero? Also, the production of what are you referring to?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Fri 06 Feb 2015, 11:25:34

DesuMaiden wrote:What makes you think production will fall to zero?
The premiss of the thread?

DesuMaiden wrote:Also, the production of what are you referring to?

cars?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Revi » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 22:21:51

This is just a little back of the envelope math, but the back end of peak oil is going to be nasty because the decline rate is going to be so steep. Everything left will be harder to get and take so much energy to get it won't be worth it. I think people will abandon oil far quicker than we think. We'll be back to oxcarts in no time. The idea that cars will continue is ridiculous. Maybe we'll be able to keep some diesel trucks on the road to transport things, but keeping everyone motorized is not going to be possible.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 22:34:08

Here's another statistic. It takes 27 to 54 barrels of oil to construct the average 5-person vehicle. There are around 800 million internal-combustion powered vehicles on the road. So it will take around 30 to 40 billion barrels of oil to construct another 800 million cars. I don't think we have that much oil, however.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 22:55:45

A cheap car like my old Honda Civic last 15+ years so there is no reason to panic about replacing 800,000,000 cars overnight. You need to build 54 million a year to replace them as they wear out, 4.5 million a month or just over a million a week spread out over every factory building cars on Earth. Given that oil will not disappear overnight you don't have to build all electric, or all CNG or all Ammonia fuel, you build a combination of fuel types to bridge the gas/diesel supply gap for new cars. Farmers can easily use ammonia fueled engines for farm equipment and trucks, short range commuters can use pure electric, long range commuters can use CNG or hybrid plug in electrics.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 08 Feb 2015, 03:30:38

According to this article, there are around 1 billion cars worldwide:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08/23 ... 34291.html

and that the U.S. alone has over 230 million. For China to follow the U.S. in terms of cars per capita, it will require a billion vehicles. Also, in order to have 2 billion cars worldwide, oil production has to rise to around 120 Mb/d.

In addition, I think the numbers refer to sedans and light trucks. If all other vehicles are included, including motorcycles, delivery trucks, buses, etc., then the numbers will certainly be higher.

Finally, the needed oil production might refer to fuel used to provide power to vehicles. If oil is also needed to manufacture them and many more goods that families will need or want besides passenger vehicles (such as appliances) then even more oil, energy, and material resources will be needed.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 08 Feb 2015, 22:57:16

ralfy wrote:According to this article, there are around 1 billion cars worldwide:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08/23 ... 34291.html

and that the U.S. alone has over 230 million. For China to follow the U.S. in terms of cars per capita, it will require a billion vehicles. Also, in order to have 2 billion cars worldwide, oil production has to rise to around 120 Mb/d.

In addition, I think the numbers refer to sedans and light trucks. If all other vehicles are included, including motorcycles, delivery trucks, buses, etc., then the numbers will certainly be higher.

Finally, the needed oil production might refer to fuel used to provide power to vehicles. If oil is also needed to manufacture them and many more goods that families will need or want besides passenger vehicles (such as appliances) then even more oil, energy, and material resources will be needed.

It is impossible to have that many cars in the world. 2 billion cars? Yeah right. I doubt there will ever be that many cars, and why is it necessary for there to be that many cars? I don't think it is a good idea to produce anymore cars because

a) Producing cars requires an enormous amount of energy.
b) Maintaining and using all of those cars will require a huge amount of energy.

Either way, we are probably on our last cars, whether you like it or not.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Revi » Mon 09 Feb 2015, 09:15:34

I think there are around 1.2 billion vehicles on the roads, but that's just an estimate. It was a very popular way of getting around, but then so were buckboards. I think we'll have to abandon or recycle them, and move on to other ways of getting around. I like small vehicles like this:
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 09 Feb 2015, 23:48:19

ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:08:56

We might be abandoning our cars already.
http://www.thehillsgroup.org/depletion2_022.htm
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:32:15

The transmission went on my 2006 Chevy Uplander last month. I had a decision, sink big $$ into fixing it or buy another car. I did a lot of thinking and bought a new 2015 Dodge caravan. 84 month term on the loan. (7 years)

I figure the economy will collapse before I've paid it off. After that will I want to buy another one? So yeah, we're on our last cars.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:37:54

Since it costs the average person in the US about $9000 per year to keep a car going a lot of us can't afford it any more.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2070397/
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:40:36

Repent wrote:The transmission went on my 2006 Chevy Uplander last month. I had a decision, sink big $$ into fixing it or buy another car. I did a lot of thinking and bought a new 2015 Dodge caravan. 84 month term on the loan. (7 years)

I figure the economy will collapse before I've paid it off. After that will I want to buy another one? So yeah, we're on our last cars.

It might, but a vehicle like a minivan will be useful, because it can carry lots of cargo or people and that could be very useful. When I lived in Guatemala it was one of the few vehicles we use here in the States and they also use down there. They were minibuses, and carried people around.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:52:17

Repent wrote:The transmission went on my 2006 Chevy Uplander last month. I had a decision, sink big $$ into fixing it or buy another car. I did a lot of thinking and bought a new 2015 Dodge caravan. 84 month term on the loan. (7 years)

So let's see. After one Chevy fails before 10 years of service, buy a Dodge. Get a 7 year loan. Plan on the world blowing up before the loan is payed off (does endlessly being wrong ever impact doomers?).

So what's next. Blaming job creators when the world doesn't blow up and you don't like the financial result you are left with? (That would be the far left political plan).

Oh, and since we're on a peak oil site, is there a reason you chose two vehicles with combined mileage of roughly 20 mpg? Unless you need to haul, say, 7 people, it seems like an odd choice for a doomer who believes in peak oil.

And I'll sign up for having bought a Corolla instead of a Prius C recently, but at least my car should get about 33 mpg combined, which is decent.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Lore » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 19:08:24

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
So let's see. After one Chevy fails before 10 years of service, buy a Dodge. Get a 7 year loan. Plan on the world blowing up before the loan is payed off (does endlessly being wrong ever impact doomers?).

No, because when it comes to doom, you only have to be right once. Unlike cornucopia belief which must be fed continuously.

Outcast_Searcher wrote:So what's next. Blaming job creators when the world doesn't blow up and you don't like the financial result you are left with? (That would be the far left political plan).

No worries there because the job creators have already created the jobs and continue to do so; just not in this country.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion