Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

We are in a global recession

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: We are in a global recession

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 11:53:17

Right on schedule you refuse to get out of your mainstream bubble.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 13:39:07

Right on schedule your insistence that all mainstream data is inherently false.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 16:37:31

onlooker wrote:Right on schedule you refuse to get out of your mainstream bubble.

Of course. The paranoid fringe group "short term doom" is the only correct group, even though their predictions are proven WRONG again and again, year after year after year. :roll:

I'll go with the MSM, which is generally right at least as often as it is wrong, thankyouverymuch.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 16:52:15

Which doom projections are those OS? Climate. Happening faster and more severely than anyone including scientists and computers thought possible. General Environment. Everyday we are hearing about worsening Environmental trends and circumstances. Economy. Again believe the official statements or notice world events and trends that attest to worsening economic/social problems. And all of this being confronted by corrupt,inept and dysfunctional leadership structures and the powerless , sometimes apathetic and ignorant masses
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 17:07:09

Thanks P. oh and continue being your irreverent self, it is refreshing
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 18:08:36

onlooker wrote:Everyday we are hearing about worsening Environmental trends and circumstances.

Guess where you're hearing it, Onlooker?

FROM THE MSM!!!!!!!!!!!

OH NOES! THE MSM WON'T COVER IT!!!

2.7 MILLION Google News articles at present.

What world are you living in, man?

onlooker wrote: Economy. Again believe the official statements

Again, given the doomy AGW coverage, there's really no aversion by the MSM to cover doomy topics once the evidence is there beyond a certain point.

Your assertion that the MSM is painting an overly rosy picture of the state of the economy is wrong and based on borderline paranoia.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 18:11:26

pstarr wrote:onlooker, didn't someone say that In a Time of Universal Deceit — Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act? I thought I read that somewhere? lol

Be brave.

Be brave. Be a crusader. Warn the world of doom! Edit someone's posts like an 8-year old.

Turd-burglar...
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 18:33:12

Maybe not Ennui. Because either people do not understand environmental problems very well, believe they will not pertain to them or believe they will not manifest anytime soon. On the other hand people are very in touch and concerned with economic problems, know they can appear at any moment and with few exceptions believe they are NOT immune to them. So the MSM is carefully instructed to be restrained and optimistic in reporting them lest people get funny ideas like PO or that the financial system is no longer working for the good of anyone but the rich and that a crash can happen at any time. No because then people may decide to vote for a 3rd party candidate , withdraw their deposits , get off the grid, keep some money in savings etc. None of which would serve the interests of the affluent class, political class or oligarchs
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 18:54:59

pstarr wrote:If that doesn't get you banned? I don't know what :cry:

You should have been banned at least when you threatened to murder me with a gun.

onlooker wrote:So the MSM is carefully instructed to be restrained and optimistic in reporting

Like I said. Paranoia. Tinfoil hat.

And it's not like a lot of people aren't discontented with the economy. Trump wouldn't have a campaign otherwise.

So if the MSM is trying to spin things in a positive direction, they're doing a piss-poor job of it.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 29 Aug 2016, 22:04:00

pstarr wrote:I threatened to murder you with a gun? Really? Was it a gay gun? lol

LOL?

Seriously, LOL?

A normal person would recognize how much your "joke" disturbed me and take this as an opportunity to apologize, reassure the other person that you weren't in some way winking and nudging and dog-whistling that you'd like some convenient excuse to murder me and get away with it on the basis of self-defense.

If you recall, I also warned you that if you keep going down that road I'd get a formal restraining order on your ass. Now that your real identity as Peter Starr via your Facebook page is known (not revealed due to me "stalking" you, but another poster) that would be quite easy. So think twice before you keep feeling that you can keep pushing the envelope under the blanket of anonymity.

Normally I'd send something like this through a PM but I want the handful of remaining posters to know what kind of a douchebag you really are, since no amount of flagging your posts seems to be able to get the mods to send you back out to the cornfield.

ennui2 wrote:I spent my life in publishing.

I thought you were writing shovelware on early IBM PCs? You know, that deep technical know-how that qualifies you to judge the viability of Tesla, but yet not enough for you to understand how to maintain your own avatar image that you need to ask the mods to change it for you.

Pretty much the only thing you're capable of doing these days is camping out on your computer 24/7 and insulting anyone who disagrees with you from your hypocritical high-horse.

ennui2 wrote:The mainstream media is controlled by sales and advertising

Then why does the media cover global warming doom?

Last time I checked, 99% of all news is BAD news. News makes money more on FEAR, not propagandizing complacency.

Remember Glenn Beck and all of his shilling for precious metals and rations on FOX?

Depending on your angle, doom can be profitable too.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 30 Aug 2016, 00:10:31

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
onlooker wrote:Right on schedule you refuse to get out of your mainstream bubble.

Of course. The paranoid fringe group "short term doom" is the only correct group, even though their predictions are proven WRONG again and again, year after year after year. :roll:

I'll go with the MSM, which is generally right at least as often as it is wrong, thankyouverymuch.

Several of the "short term doom" predictions are coming from mainstream sources, including multinational banks, intelligence agencies, insurance groups, etc. The reports are mentioned across several threads in this forum.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Fri 18 Nov 2016, 23:11:24

http://arctic-news.blogspot.ca/2016/11/ ... -2016.html

This graph offers evidence that the global economy is stalled. The 2008 recession is apparent from the drop of CO2 emissions. We have entered a stagnation period.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EdwinSm » Sat 19 Nov 2016, 03:07:41

pstarr, you seem to have not bothered to read the post. The question to ask is, "is the amount of CO2 emissions a good proxy for the economic state?" At least it is a physical measurement that we don't have to argue about whether it should be adjusted for inflation (and what inflation rate one should use).

dissident wrote:This graph offers evidence that the global economy is stalled. The 2008 recession is apparent from the drop of CO2 emissions. We have entered a stagnation period.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 19 Nov 2016, 03:31:31

dissident wrote:http://arctic-news.blogspot.ca/2016/11/monthly-co-not-under-400-ppm-in-2016.html

This graph offers evidence that the global economy is stalled. The 2008 recession is apparent from the drop of CO2 emissions. We have entered a stagnation period.

I wouldn't say stalled. Likely slowing.

Since the global economy (especially the first world) is getting more efficient with its energy use, and producing less carbon per unit of energy used, a flat CO2 reading wouldn't imply no growth -- it would imply net global growth equivalent to the gains in efficiency.

With clean sources like solar and wind accelerating globally, and continued efficiency gains via things like the US CAFE standards and ever more efficient devices of all kinds, plus using more natural gas, the total impact is far from negligable.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Sat 19 Nov 2016, 05:26:57

I think you might be onto something there Outcast. I would also couple that with an increasing number of Americans not in the labor force. That number has been increasing both due to the baby boomers retiring and more efficiencies in the work place. One would think that more people not working would mean more leisure use of fuels but that is not necessarily the case. My use of motor fuels has decreased substantially since I retired.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 19 Nov 2016, 05:34:00

the rapid rollout of renewables in China is having a significant effect......see the latest IEA report confirming a drop in coal use

could spell trouble for the Australian economy with its large coal exports

unless they get their act together and start ramping up renewables themselves
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance