Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

We are in a global recession

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: We are in a global recession

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 21:55:28

George Soros sees echoes of 2008 crisis

China is struggling to find a new growth model and its currency devaluation is transferring problems to the rest of the world, Soros said in Colombo.
A return to positive interest rates is a challenge for the developing world, he said, adding that the current environment has similarities to 2008.
"China has a major adjustment problem," Soros said.
"I would say it amounts to a crisis. When I look at the financial markets there is a serious challenge which reminds me of the crisis we had in 2008."

http://www.theage.com.au/business/marke ... m1jgb.html
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 23:14:28

Yeah well, this was Soros in 2007, and I avoided serious losses by listening to him

PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 09 Jan 2016, 12:51:06

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-0 ... ow-trapped
Excerpt from article "Of course, the longer China does nothing, the greater its problems will become as the status quo is the status quo is also fundamentally destructive. As such Beijing needs to choose: either collapse the economy in a deflationary wave, leading to a debt crisis and widespread social unrest, or devalue massively overnight in hopes of stimulating inflation, leading to collapsing profit margins, and even more widespread social unrest." As both China and US are keys to the world economy this tenuous economic situation in China bodes badly for the status of the world economy.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 09 Jan 2016, 14:05:32

https://www.hvst.com/posts/35589-zero-h ... retty-soon

'Zero Hedge refuses to recognize any good news. As Rational Wiki wryly observed, “Zero Hedge has accurately predicted 200 of the last 2 recessions.” The fact that the financial collapse has not happened yet (and in fact markets have risen) does not count as evidence against the theory but, in true paranoid style, only serves to confirm that the apocalypse is being papered over in myriad ways. One is reminded of Sigmund Freud’s story of a man who borrows a teapot from a friend and returns it with a hole; when confronted, he claims that there is no hole, that the hole was already there when he borrowed it, and that he never borrowed the teapot in the first place. Zero Hedge offers a similar closed circle of justifications in which the prophecy itself can never be wrong. The crisis is definitely coming, or perhaps is already here and we don’t see it . . . yet. It is hard to tell if Zero Hedge represents Apocalypse Now or Apocalypse Not Quite Yet.'
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 09 Jan 2016, 19:27:17

Okay this is not zerohedge. http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/9619 ... cting-hard
MARKETS ARE CORRECTING HARD!
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 09 Jan 2016, 22:56:29

No. It's Chris Martenson's site. The usual suspects, basically.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 09 Jan 2016, 23:53:29

Let me guess MSM.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 15:14:57

pstarr wrote:
ennui2 wrote:No. It's Chris Martenson's site. The usual suspects, basically.

And who do you go to for your sage advice?

I don't have a sage. Having a sage is like following a cult-leader. The moment you put the blinders on and just follow one source you shut your brain off.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 15:43:03

pstarr wrote:Chris Martenson, MBA degree from Cornell University, perhaps?

And he's used his MBA to parley his doomerism into a living being a doomer version of the Motley Fool. Doesn't necessarily mean his analysis is infallible.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 16:55:54

ennui2 wrote:
pstarr wrote:Chris Martenson, MBA degree from Cornell University, perhaps?

And he's used his MBA to parley his doomerism into a living being a doomer version of the Motley Fool. Doesn't necessarily mean his analysis is infallible.

But it sure as heck does not mean necessarily that is analysis is bogus.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 19:18:46

ennui2 wrote:https://www.hvst.com/posts/35589-zero-hedge-apocalypse-pretty-soon

'Zero Hedge refuses to recognize any good news. As Rational Wiki wryly observed, “Zero Hedge has accurately predicted 200 of the last 2 recessions.”

Rats... They stole my line. Guess I should have used it instead of just thinking it many times.
Zero Hedge offers a similar closed circle of justifications in which the prophecy itself can never be wrong. The crisis is definitely coming, or perhaps is already here and we don’t see it . . . yet. It is hard to tell if Zero Hedge represents Apocalypse Now or Apocalypse Not Quite Yet.'

And yet, just like the fast crashers on this site (many who) make MANY blatantly incorrect forecasts, and just tweak the forecast and shove the date forward again, endlessly, never admitting they might be wrong -- all their bad calls add up to a near-complete lack of credibility to all but the fast crashers who want to (apparently) hear the next crash forecast pretty much constantly.

I suppose if it sells enough ads, that's a true success in internet journalism. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 20:27:10

Again where do some of you see any of us giving dates?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 22:02:32

onlooker wrote:But it sure as heck does not mean necessarily that is analysis is bogus.

If his livelihood depends on doom, don't be surprised when he predicts doom.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 22:03:44

pstarr wrote:Fast crashers on this site? Hum? I've been here a lot longer than you two mooks and have yet to meet a 'fast crasher.'

Challenge accepted.

No need to go mine the archives (which are chock full of fast-crash fear-mongering) because it keeps percolating up.

So when I read something going forward that smacks of fast-crash or insta-doom, I will label it as such.

Stay tuned.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 11:06:30

Oh come on people, I know I have been guilty of typing things like "I think this is it by this time next year things will be completely different" or "I am convinced 2010 is the year we fall off the plateau".

Pretending like we never said those things doesn't make them go away, why are you wasting time on this argument? Just bored I guess?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance