Unread postby onlooker » Fri 22 Jun 2018, 18:22:35

Wow that"s calling bucking the trend in a big way
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Arctic Sea Ice 2018

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 25 Jun 2018, 06:45:24

Tanada wrote:The image I linked above updates automatically as the web site it feeds from updates usually one day behind the calendar. Today it is showing May 3, 2018 with the ice already receding from the northwest corner of the Alaskan Arctic coastline. I don't have any images handy to compare to, but that strikes me as extraordinarily early in the season for this event.

Here is a different image showing the entire Arctic basin,

On my system this is dated the 21st on the 25th, I think maybe it updates once a week?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 26 Jun 2018, 13:52:30

"A huge stretch of the Arctic ocean is rapidly turning into the Atlantic. That’s not a good sign"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... 13f4ad84e9
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 26 Jun 2018, 15:51:07

I think I’ll start a thread on Miami.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 26 Jun 2018, 19:02:24

onlooker wrote:"A huge stretch of the Arctic ocean is rapidly turning into the Atlantic. That’s not a good sign"

I don't consider the Washington post a unbiased source.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 26 Jun 2018, 19:35:38

Try this then.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-018-0205-y

“Thus, the northern Barents Sea may soon complete the transition from a cold and stratified Arctic to a warm and well-mixed Atlantic-dominated climate regime. Such a shift would have unknown consequences for the Barents Sea ecosystem, including ice-associated marine mammals and commercial fish stocks.”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby GHung » Wed 27 Jun 2018, 07:49:29

vtsnowedin wrote:
onlooker wrote:"A huge stretch of the Arctic ocean is rapidly turning into the Atlantic. That’s not a good sign"

I don't consider the Washington post a unbiased source.

Didn't someone say we are a reactionary denialist species?

For VT's info, the people cited don't work for the Washington Post:

.....“We call it the Arctic warming hot spot,” said Sigrid Lind, a researcher at the Institute of Marine Research in Tromso, Norway.

Now Lind and her colleagues have shown, based on temperature and salinity measurements taken on summer research cruises, that this warming is being accompanied by a stark change of character, as the Atlantic is in effect taking over the region and converting it into a very different entity.

Their results were published this week in Nature Climate Change by Lind and two colleagues at Norway’s Institute of Marine Research and University of Bergen. They underscore that the divide between the Atlantic and the Arctic isn’t just a geographical one — it’s physical in nature.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 30 Jun 2018, 20:29:44

Dramatic shift to Atlantic climate in Arctic warming hotspot

The Arctic is about to shrink, shows a new study, as an important part of the Arctic Ocean shifts over to an Atlantic climate regime. The rapid climate shift occurs in the northern Barents Sea—the Arctic warming hotspot where the surface warming and loss of winter sea ice is largest in the entire Arctic.

“Less sea ice inflow from the interior Arctic has caused a 40 percent freshwater loss in the northern Barents Sea, leading to weaker stratification and increased vertical mixing with the deep Atlantic layer,” says lead author Dr. Sigrid Lind

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-06-shift-atl ... t.html#jCp
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 08 Jul 2018, 21:29:09

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/char ... ice-graph/

Though we are holding above the 2012 record drop the 2018 line is still more than 2 standard deviations below the normal readings. For those who never took statistics this only happens in 4.5% of all possible outcomes. This is around the third time it has happened since 2012 meaning the entire definition of standard is being broken on a semi regular basis at this point in history.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 09 Jul 2018, 07:27:39

"...the entire definition of standard is being broken on a semi regular basis at this point in history"

Nicely put, sadly.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 09 Jul 2018, 09:59:44

https://robinwestenra.blogspot.com/2018 ... l?spref=fb

High ocean temperature, methane emissions and a cyclone in the Arctic
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 10 Jul 2018, 12:05:12

This image is from the Norwegian ice office. If you look at the full image by clicking it the left side is Greenland, the center is Svalbard and the right edge is Novy Zemlya off the coast of Siberia. The colors indicate the density of the floating sea ice in the region it covers.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 10 Jul 2018, 13:20:47

Thanks for that, T. What's your takeaway from it?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 10 Jul 2018, 22:52:42

Truthfully I need to look at a good surface flow map to be sure, but the only times in the past when I can recall such a wide ribbon of ice east of Greenland at this time of year has been when there was a case of very large sea ice export taking place from the Arctic into the North Atlantic. I can't seem to find the flow data, however I did find this through Neven's graph page, Image

This view shows the sea ice has retreated so far north of Scandinavia that it is within a few degrees of the geographic pole, yet at the same time Hudson's Bay retains significant ice cover. Yet the view I posted in my earlier message shows the ice to be significantly further south, though still a long way from Scandinavia's northern coast. They can not both be correct so presumably they are either using different satellite data or are interpreting it very differently.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 11 Jul 2018, 05:01:19

Looking at the current Canadian and Danish charts I see that neither the North West or North East passage is yet open to anything other than a strong ice breaker . With about eight weeks of melting to go that will probably change.
http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/WIS55S ... 115497.pdf
http://polarportal.dk/fileadmin/polarpo ... 180710.png
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 11 Jul 2018, 09:16:00

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 18 Jul 2018, 11:21:30

State of the Polar Oceans 2018 Report

http://sites.uci.edu/zlabe/arctic-sea-i ... thickness/

In a new report published this week scientists from leading UK and Norwegian research institutions highlights the urgency to further investigate the least understood regions on Earth.

Reporting in the State of the Polar Oceans 2018 researchers explain how decades of multi-disciplinary studies have advanced scientific knowledge about climate warming, biodiversity and conservation of marine life in the Antarctic and the Arctic.
... 36°C - the amount that the atmosphere would have warmed by if none of the heat trapped by greenhouse gases had been absorbed by the world’s oceans.

Scientists know that the polar oceans control global temperatures, and have absorbed more than 90% of all the extra heat trapped in the Earth system since the industrial revolution began.

These oceans are warming significantly. Summer temperatures in the Arctic Ocean now 2–3°C warmer than the 1982–2010 mean, with a corresponding reduction in summer sea ice extent of nearly 50% from the late 1970s to 2017.

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 08:51:23

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... le-climate

The North Pole just had an extreme heat wave for the 3rd winter in a row
As snow falls in Rome, the Arctic is getting alarmingly hot in the middle of winter.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 20 Jul 2018, 19:58:21

Why post February weather headlines in July, especially without explanation?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 22 Jul 2018, 15:46:20

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... ands-shore

Climate Change and the Giant Iceberg Off Greenland’s Shore
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext