Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Nuclear Power Thread pt 9 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Nuclear Power Thread pt 9 (merged)

Unread postby EdwinSm » Tue 01 May 2018, 05:30:55

StarvingLion wrote:Bankrupt America can no longer keep the lights on...they are admitting TOTAL COLLAPSE IS IMMINENT.

I was just wondering if your (non-screen) name is Richard C Duncan?

Anyway the news of economic problems in the nuclear industry is interesting.

ps. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I am still concerned about nuclear waste. I just haven't seen the breakthrough in handling this in the years since I demonstrated against nuclear power back in the 1970s. Maybe I am getting too old to worry about this for myself, but it still does not looked solved for my children and any children they may have (and any children they may have...........).
EdwinSm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Tue 01 May 2018, 06:39:29

Dry cask storage of nuclear waste at Yucca mountain was the solution to storage of waste generated from nuclear power plants. But here again anti-nuclear protests and the usual NIMBY folks shut that project down. IMO if you are anti-nuclear you are anti-environment.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby StarvingLion » Tue 01 May 2018, 11:36:54

EdwinSm wrote:
StarvingLion wrote:Bankrupt America can no longer keep the lights on...they are admitting TOTAL COLLAPSE IS IMMINENT.

I was just wondering if your (non-screen) name is Richard C Duncan?

Anyway the news of economic problems in the nuclear industry is interesting.

ps. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I am still concerned about nuclear waste. I just haven't seen the breakthrough in handling this in the years since I demonstrated against nuclear power back in the 1970s. Maybe I am getting too old to worry about this for myself, but it still does not looked solved for my children and any children they may have (and any children they may have...........).

EdwinSim is concerned with nuclear waste but not the obvious fact that America cannot afford reliable electricity generation. LOL.

You know why Nuclear is a bad guy, EdwinSim? Its because a nuclear buildout (and continuing operating maintenance) would require MORE oil consumption, NOT LESS thus causing the price of oil to go to $300 and collapse the Housing Ponzi. Ponzi Shale Gas is the new "solution" except for the small problem that nobody can afford that either.
There is no escaping The Oil Apocalypse and there will be no survivors.
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Tue 01 May 2018, 13:27:49

There are no solutions to handle the nuclear waste. Reinforced concrete only last 50-100 years. Concrete without reinforcement could theoretically last pretty long but compared to the hundreds of thousands or even millions of years which is the time for the nuclear waste to lose its toxicity it is clear that there are no solutions to handle the waste. Just remember - the first sarcophagus for the chernobyl lasted only 30 years. They build the new one but the question is- who is going to build the next one? Without fossil fuels the answer is - nobody.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cog » Wed 02 May 2018, 09:32:28

Romans used a form of concrete using volcanic ash. Those structures still stand today exposed to weather. Dry cask storage of used fuel rods in a dry place of either a salt mine or Yucca mountain in volcanic glass(ash) extends the useful life of those storage places into thousands of years.

If you do not expose concrete to freeze/thaw cycles, it lasts far longer than the 50 years you suggest. Hoover Dam was built in 1933. Has it fallen apart yet?

https://www.history.com/news/the-secret ... n-concrete
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 02 May 2018, 12:09:17

Bankrupt America is going out of bidness. The Idiocracy will get to vote on turning off the lights forever...LOL.

https://www.power-eng.com/articles/2018 ... close.html

By Editors of Power Engineering

The fight over renewable energy in Arizona rages on, with Arizona Public Service Co. saying a renewable energy measure up to voters could force Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station to close.

The Clean Energy for a Healthy Arizona measure would require utilities to generate or acquire half of all electricity from renewable sources by 2030, Arizona Central reported. The measure goes to voters in November.

APS claims the measure would cause so much renewable development it would generate too much electricity during months with milder weather.

"The way we see this, it will force the closure of all our baseload facilities," said Jeff Burke, APS' resource planning director. "This really closes the door on a lot of different resources."

The company estimated the ballot measure would directly require it to build 3 GW of solar capacity, up from the 1.6 GW it operates today.

However, APS believes the renewable generation would cause other traditional plants such as Cholla and Four Corners to close, requiring it to eventually hold 8 GW of renewable capacity.

The 3.3-GW Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station is the largest power plant in the United States.

Arizona lawmakers are already working to counteract the measure and has already passed a law that lowers the penalties for not complying with the measure to between $100 and $5,000. An additional measure being considered by lawmakers would allow the Arizona Corporation Commission to ignore the requirements if it would push electricity costs too high or otherwise cause trouble.
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 02 May 2018, 13:20:45

We are all doomed. Run for your lives. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Yonnipun » Thu 03 May 2018, 17:27:57

Cog wrote:Romans used a form of concrete using volcanic ash. Those structures still stand today exposed to weather. Dry cask storage of used fuel rods in a dry place of either a salt mine or Yucca mountain in volcanic glass(ash) extends the useful life of those storage places into thousands of years.

If you do not expose concrete to freeze/thaw cycles, it lasts far longer than the 50 years you suggest. Hoover Dam was built in 1933. Has it fallen apart yet?

https://www.history.com/news/the-secret ... n-concrete

It does not matter, compared to millions of years a few thousand years is nothing. Also nobody knows what happens to climate or what kind of seismic acticity will take place in the future. All those uncertainities together make it impossible to storage nuclear waste safely.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 03 May 2018, 17:58:16

Yonnipun wrote:nobody knows .... what kind of seismic acticity will take place in the future. All those uncertainities together make it impossible to storage nuclear waste safely.

Actually, we have a very good idea of what kind of seismic activity will happen in the future, thanks to scientific studies of the geology and geophysics of the tectonics of the earth.

We know very well what areas of the earth are seismically active---and which areas aren't.

tectonics and seismic activity of the earth

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 07 May 2018, 11:40:04

Bankrupt UK cannot afford nuclear. The Shitty of London will soon be burnt to the ground.

UK in last ditch new nuclear crunch talks as ageing power plants falter

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ts-falter/

Quote:
The Japanese conglomerate behind plans to build a new reactor at the Wylfa nuclear site in Wales is expected to call on the Government to take a direct stake in the new plant, or risk the £27bn project falling through. The last-ditch talks between Hitachi chairman Hiroaki Nakanishi and the prime minister were scheduled for the same day that fresh cracks in one of the UK’s oldest nuclear plants underlined the need for new investment in low-carbon power.
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 07 May 2018, 20:05:07

Bankrupt Japan is failing badly. Its nuclear dreams are turning into a nightmare...

https://neutronbytes.com/2018/05/07/jap ... eed-bumps/

Japan’s Plans for Nuclear Exports Hit Speed Bumps
Posted on May 7, 2018 by djysrv

Hitachi seeks to reduce equity stake in UK nuclear project by 50%
Soaring costs for Turkey’s Sinop project cause a key investor to pull out
Japan’s best chances for new nuclear reactor projects may be at home

Nikkei, a Japanese business wire service, reports that Hitachi CEO Toshiaki Higashihara is asking the UK government to take a 50% direct stake in the Horizon nuclear power project. The project located at Wylfa in Wales is expected to be composed of two 1350 MW Hitachi ABWRs. Currently, it is 100% owned by Hitachi. What the firm’s CEO would like to see is a consortium of UK firms and the government take half of the risk of financing the project.
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 07 May 2018, 20:08:01

scaryjello says the only hope for nuclear is to get rid of the jarheads...abandon ye nuclear plants people, HAHAHAHAHA....

https://atomicinsights.com/waste-issue- ... /#comments

scaryjello says

May 5, 2018 at 6:50 AM

It would be nice to see some PRISM reactors built, although they are a little scary. It would take some [more] years of operations/refueling experience before these units could transition from labcoat and pocket-protector led operations to blue collar IBEW led operations. Also, physical security needs to be built into these plants from go; the current levels of security staffing at commercial LWRs, which were built as undefended industrial sites, is a very visible burden that hurts competitiveness. We must get the jarheads OUT of the next generation nuclear plant.
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology