Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Re: Prince William warns that there are too many people in t

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 03 Nov 2017, 19:46:17

Great its being said but everyone hears their own message and there is no global response

Rich people would be worried about the Chinese eating all their butter and eventually drinking all their champagne.
Poor people worried other poorer people are taking their jerbs
Merchants wanting more customers
Economists wanting more growth
People wanting to escape war and bad economics
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 12:17:53

Breed like rabbits and reverse population decline, Poles urged

Health ministry releases video praising the healthy lifestyle and reproduction of rabbits to encourage couples to have more children

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... oles-urged

I swear, you couldn't make this sh!t up!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Poles told to breed 'like rabbits' to fight falling birth ra

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 15:53:35

In a world that is rapidly becoming overpopulated and consuming natural resources at an alarming rate, we see this!

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-41931770/poles-told-to-breed-like-rabbits-to-fight-falling-birth-rate
A Polish government ad has used the example of bunny rabbits to try to encourage people to have more babies.
But it's not the only advert encouraging people to do it for the children.

They seem to be forgetting that they've successfully exported many of the most productive (in every respect) people in recent years.

The German solution has been to open the floodgates to migrants, a similar plan to many other countries in Europe.

Poland obviously wants their "production units" home grown.

Just goes to show that the ruling elite are on a different planet to the rest of us!.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 16:53:47

Indeed!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 20:00:42

Truly. They must be economist.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 07:57:32

Yep, made me think about how in poor agrarian areas families want a lot of kids to help with the farm work and how the oligarchs in countries want population growth to fuel the wealth pump that flows up into their coffers.

What would the conditions have to be that would create incentives for de growth?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 09:16:22

Yes as Ibon says our species has been compelled to grow both economically and in numbers. To me that became evident when in the last couple of decades both India and China decided to pursue economic growth policies. Also, recently when China decided to scrap its one child policy. So, I do not think our species is capable of voluntarily shifting its cultural and biological drives to procreate and to live a modern lifestyle until drastic consequences make a widespread mark on us.

By drastic, I believe sizable die off and a substantial fall off in industrial civilization worldwide. So in essence, we have passed the stage when intentional proactive change can make a difference. Which is why I am a firm follower of Ibon's thesis that only serious Consequences exogenous to us will stop this runaway train.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 22:47:05

Recently we had a link on our front page to a short interview with Dr. Rees of Global Footprint game. Among other things he noted we are depleting our soil at 10 to 40 times the ability it has to rejuvenate. On the face of it the implication is our sustainable population is 2.5% to 10% of existing.

We can likely drive better than that since our lands are being depleted to grow fuel, etc. Then again this is just ONE factor.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Population Controls Are Ill-Advised and Inhumane

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 17 Dec 2017, 11:31:17

For thousands of years, population control meant violence. War, famine, disease, and genocide served as the primary powers that nature and the state could wield to limit the expansion of the world’s human footprint. However, medical and cultural advances, such as readily available birth control and women’s liberation significantly changed the conversation around not only the ethics of population expansion, but also the available means of curbing it. Population Growth Fears In his 1968 book, The Population Bomb, bioethicist Paul Ehrlich outlined a doomsday scenario with predictions that the world’s population would increase to a point where all natural resources would be consumed, causing massive upheaval across the globe. More recently, researcher Travis Rieder, at the Berman Institute of Bioethics, argues that humans have a moral responsibility to limit the birth of children to protect the environmental stability of our planet. At NBC

Population Controls Are Ill-Advised and Inhumane
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

The Book That Incited a Worldwide Fear of Overpopulation

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:32:46

As 1968 began, Paul Ehrlich was an entomologist at Stanford University, known to his peers for his groundbreaking studies of the co-evolution of flowering plants and butterflies but almost unknown to the average person. That was about to change. In May, Ehrlich released a quickly written, cheaply bound paperback, The Population Bomb. Initially it was ignored. But over time Ehrlich’s tract would sell millions of copies and turn its author into a celebrity. It would become one of the most influential books of the 20th century—and one of the most heatedly attacked. The first sentence set the tone: “The battle to feed all of humanity is over.” And humanity had lost. In the 1970s, the book promised, “hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death.” No matter what people do, “nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the

The Book That Incited a Worldwide Fear of Overpopulation
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

A Quarter of the World’s Population Could be Living in a Des

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:38:13

Buzz60 is designed for the way we live now. Short, quirky video snacks that are a little sassy, and always smart. Buzz 60 -- and the Buzz60 channel on YouTube - produces all kinds of news video clips for web viewers who want more than just repurposed content. Our team is a diverse group of video journalists with dozens of Emmy awards, an authentic sense of humor, and a mandate to connect with viewers every day

A Quarter of the World’s Population Could be Living in a Desert If Paris Agreement Isn’t Met

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

To save our oceans, we must halt human population growth

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 11:22:35

As a lifelong surfer who has never lived more than a mile from the ocean, I heartily agree with every claim they make about the perils of overfishing and the destruction of coral reefs. I am afraid my young grandson will inherit oceans that are vast wastelands and never know the joys I experienced in the water over my 70 years. But like many environmentalists, the authors do not address the root cause of the problem. Why is there so much overfishing? Why are the seas acidifying? Why are coral reefs on track to collapse by 2050? All this is happening to feed and entertain people, the global population of which is increasing at an incredible rate. In 1947, there were 144 million people in the U.S. and about 2 billion globally. Just 40 years later, in 1987, the numbers were 242

To save our oceans, we must halt human population growth

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: How to reduce the population and other benefits the PC w

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 17 Jan 2018, 14:04:20

Yes, this planet is ripe for the harvest.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Face reality – the world’s population is growing

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 16:46:29

In 1949 the doctor who delivered me held me up by my heels and gave me a hard whack on the butt. When I entered the world, I shared the planet with 2.4 billion people. Today, that number has swelled to 7.6 billion. In my lifetime, the human population has increased over three times. Population increase has been relatively slow until recently. Twelve thousand years ago, there were 1 million people. That number reached 1.0 billion people two hundred years ago. Current population projections place the human population at 9.8 billion in 2050; 11.2 billion in 2100. This rising sea of humanity is putting a strain on the earth’s ability to provide the resources needed for everyday life. Today, we are using resources 44 percent faster than what the earth is able to replenish. In other words, it takes earth just under 18 months

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Face reality – the world’s population is growing

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 16:48:03

AdamB wrote:
In 1949 the doctor who delivered me held me up by my heels and gave me a hard whack on the butt. When I entered the world, I shared the planet with 2.4 billion people. Today, that number has swelled to 7.6 billion. In my lifetime, the human population has increased over three times. Population increase has been relatively slow until recently. Twelve thousand years ago, there were 1 million people. That number reached 1.0 billion people two hundred years ago. Current population projections place the human population at 9.8 billion in 2050; 11.2 billion in 2100. This rising sea of humanity is putting a strain on the earth’s ability to provide the resources needed for everyday life. Today, we are using resources 44 percent faster than what the earth is able to replenish. In other words, it takes earth just under 18 months [/quote

Soon to be declining :twisted:
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: World population grows through history

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 17:20:57

Actual scientists project there were 4 to 5 million people living on Earth during the last ice age which ended about 16,000 ybp depending on whom you ask. I suspect the rest of his thinking is just as poorly cogitated.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 17:46:23

That sounds about right, but it would be nice to see a supporting link, if you have have one available.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 22:39:42

dohboi wrote:That sounds about right, but it would be nice to see a supporting link, if you have have one available.

Can not find the one I was looking at earlier but here is a different one that supports the point. IIRC some of the earliest projections were based on simple population dynamics. IOW if X number of hunter gatherers lived under conditions W, Y, & Z and (different climate biomes desert/prairie/woodland) then the world total could support between 1 and 10 million before the development of pastorlism and fixed crop agriculture. This is also how they calculate the barely agricultural North American First People numbered between 2 and 3 million when DeSotto's expedition in the 1500's brought a plague of many diseases to the Mississippian Culture and caused them to undergo a collapse between that expedition and the arrival of the English and French colonists at the end of the 16th Century along the east coast.

Also keep in mind that while the Homo Sapiens population went through a severe bottleneck at 70,000 ybp the neanderthal and denisovan hominids were not affected and served as a base to build on when the spreading Homo Sapiens encountered and interbred with their populations. Current DNA studies show that modern Europeans have from 1 to 3 percent Neanderthal DNA while East Asian populations have from 3 to 10 percent Denisovan DNA in their population structure. Odds are relatively good that pale skin tone is inherited in part from the Neanderthal component because those hominids had lived in the far north for 450,000 years adapting to the cold climate and limited sunlight.

World population at the end of the last Ice Age

Researchers say that the total world population at the end of the last Ice Age stood at between one and ten million people, after two million years of development. In the previous Ice Age, the human population collapsed to near extinction. This severe collapse indicates to some degree the severity of the climate conditions on earth, during an Ice Age.

If we fail, we will fall back to the 1-10 million population that the natural world can support. That's what is at stake, and our heart and soul tells us that we should not lay ourselves down to die and commit our children to death. Out heart tells us to love to live.
LINK
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 23:53:27

ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 20 Feb 2018, 07:53:34

Newfie
Forum Moderator