Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Natural Gas Thread Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Natural Gas Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 18:45:27

OK---so you can't read very well. Lots of people can't read very well. So I copied it and pasted it and highlighted in bold for you the parts that were relevant to the use of isotopic characteristics of methane. Its not a very complicated idea, really. The fact that there are distinctive isotopic characteristics that indicate the provenance of CH4 derived from fossil fuel sources has been known for decades.

Obviously, if you can't understand this simple idea, then you won't understand the rest of the report, and you won't understand what it means.

Read the damned paper which I am now convinced you never did but instead probably got your information from a news release (as is your normal modus operandi)

Worden, J. R. et al, Reduced biomass burning emissions reconcile conflicting estimates of the post-2006 atmospheric methane budget. Nature communications. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-02246-0

Here is what actually the paper is about (versus what you are trying to characterize).They got all of their estimates of fossil fuel contributions from the paper I previously quoted (Schwietzke, S et al, 2016) that is quite obvious from their Table 1. They did not measure it themselves, in fact the entire paper deals specifically with looking at a decrease in biomass area burned and then figuring out how that impacts the CH4 mass balance based on previous estimates. Simply put because they assess that biomass burning has contributed less then the other sources (e.g. fossil fuels) must take up the slack. That is all they did. It isn’t a paper where they went out and measured isotopes trying to ascertain how much fossil fuels contributed, indeed what they did was to back out biomass burning CH4 using the following methodology:

As discussed in the following sections, we first quantify monthly CO fluxes and their uncertainties at monthly timescales on a 5 × 4° (longitude × latitude) grid using measurements of CO concentrations from the Terra Measurements of Pollution in the Troposphere (MOPITT) satellite instrument (V6J multi-spectral product40 and the adjoint version of GEOS-Chem31). CO fluxes are then re-partitioned to the CO emission types plus uncertainties on each 5 × 4° grid cell using a Bayesian Markov Chain Monte Carlo approach25,41 that accounts for the a priori and a posteriori uncertainties of the BB emissions and other CO emissions. Estimates of the CH4 emissions and their uncertainties are then calculated by multiplying BB CO emissions by the GFED-based estimate of each fire-type contribution, the expected CH4/CO emission factors for all fire types within each grid cell, and the uncertainties of the GFED-recommended emission factors. The emission factor uncertainties are tested with CH4 and CO measurements from the Aura TES instrument

And if you go to the source of their data on fossil fuel contribution to CH4 (which I previously gave the reference to).

Schwietzke, S, et al, 2016. Upward revision of global fossil fuel methane emissions based on isotope database. Nature. 538, pp 88-91

They talk about how they arrived at their data (hint no measurements were made).

The sample sizes of δ13Csource values used in published global CH4 budgets are either small (N < 100, based on cited original measurements) or unknown, uncertainties are rarely applied, and global representativeness is lacking (especially in the tropics and the Southern Hemisphere), but some δ13Csource values have nevertheless taken on canonical status with few references to primary sources (for example, refs 3, 4, 9 and 10; see full list of references in Supplementary Information section 8). We have compiled the most comprehensive δ13Csource database to date (see ref. 14 and Supplementary Information sections 3–5 for complete list of data, metadata and references) including 9,468 δ13CFF, δ13Cmic and δ13CBB original measurements from the peer-reviewed literature and other publicly available sources to define globally weighted average δ13CFF (time-dependent), δ13Cmic, and δ13CBB with well defined uncertainties. These data allowed us to revisit the source attribution of global CH4 emissions since the 1980s by applying an atmospheric box-model to global atmospheric CH4 and δ13Catm measurements (and avoiding the use of a priori FFtot and microbial source strengths), thus maximizing the CH4 and δ13Catm constraints.

And the manner by which they used this data that was compiled from literature was:

Our box-model applies Monte Carlo techniques to estimate global FFtot and microbial CH4 emissions and uncertainties as a function of δ13Csource, of isotope fractionation during oxidation (OH + CH4), of the uncertainties of both of these values, and of other factors (see Supplementary Table 1). We also estimated FFind emissions by subtracting FFgeo emissions from FFtot emissions. This allowed us to calculate global long-term trends in the Fugitive Emission Rate (FER), which is the fraction of natural gas production lost to the atmosphere through its lifecycle (production, processing, transport and use), and is a critical parameter for evaluating the climatic impact of natural gas as a fuel

given you never read any of this prior to pontificating about the measurement of CH4 isotopes let me summarize:

The NASA paper never measured CH4 for any reason other than determining biomass burning amounts through time. They did not directly measure fossil fuel originated CH4. They got all of that information from a previous paper and those authors got their information from a literature search and compilation (with no quality control, ie. assumed all values were equally relevant). The numbers that Worden et al (NASA) used were based on the box model analysis conducted by Schwietke et al. And the final numbers that Worden et al end up with regarding contribution of fossil fuels to current CH4 mass balance was arrived at through their own box model that took into account the lesser amount of biomass burning in the mix of what constitutes total CH4.

Please before you go off on pedantic rants it would help if you actually read the papers you refer to.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 19:13:23

(hint no measurements were made).....

Is that so? Do you want to bet on that? :lol: :roll:

We have compiled the most comprehensive δ13Csource database to date (see ref. 14 and Supplementary Information sections 3–5 for complete list of data, metadata and references) including 9,468 δ13CFF, δ13Cmic and δ13CBB original measurements from the peer-reviewed literature and other publicly available sources to define globally weighted average δ13CFF (time-dependent), δ13Cmic, and δ13CBB with well defined uncertainties.

If no measurements were made, then why does their data table contain 9,468 measurements?

Don't you understand that the authors based their paper on the data from the 9,468 measurements in their data tables? Do you get it now?

No, of course you don't get it.

-----------------------------------

Look-----my guess is you've got some kind of medical problem. You read things and you even quote them in your posts, but you either don't comprehend what you just read or you can't remember what you just read for more than a few seconds.

The result of this is that you continually post utter nonsense, like your claim here that there were no measurements, while you simultaneously quoted the exact part of the paper saying their work is based on 9,468 measurements.

Once again, you clearly didn't understand what you just read. You didn't comprehend at all even the passage you copied and quoted where it clearly discusses thousands of measurements. You say you read the paper, but apparently you can't remember the data tables where the data from these thousands of measurements are all listed.

My suggestion is that you should get a checkup. In my humble opinion your clear inability to comprehend or remember simple things you've just read should be a matter of concern to you.

Cheers! :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 20:53:24

If no measurements were made, then why does their data table contain 9,468 measurements?

As it says in the paper they got that information from peer-reviewed literature and other publicly available sources. They made no measurement of isotopes themselves (which is what I pointed out but apparently your reading comprehension is nearly zero). Read what was said.

including 9,468 δ13CFF, δ13Cmic and δ13CBB original measurements from the peer-reviewed literature and other publicly available sources
Does that say they made those measurements? If you think so then you are an even bigger idiot than you appear to be.

The result of this is that you continually post utter nonsense, like your claim here that there were no measurements, while you simultaneously quoted the exact part of the paper saying their work is based on 9,468 measurements.

Your attempt to twist what I said is at best infantile. As I stated above Worden et al got all of their measurements on fossil fuel methane from Schwietke et al. Schwietke et al got all of their fossil fuel methane data from the literature. Neither paper actually measured any isotope data regarding fossil fuel components of methane. ONce again read what I wrote and read the frigging paper you moron.

Once again, you clearly didn't understand what you just read. You didn't comprehend at all even the passage you copied and quoted where it clearly discusses thousands of measurements. You say you read the paper, but apparently you can't remember the data tables where the data from these thousands of measurements are all listed.

Look dipshit here is what I said

They got all of their estimates of fossil fuel contributions from the paper I previously quoted (Schwietzke, S et al, 2016) that is quite obvious from their Table 1. They did not measure it themselves,

and

The NASA paper never measured CH4 for any reason other than determining biomass burning amounts through time. They did not directly measure fossil fuel originated CH4. They got all of that information from a previous paper and those authors got their information from a literature search and compilation (with no quality control, ie. assumed all values were equally relevant)

Now if you can show how what I actually said is incorrect rather than try to show how what I didn't say was incorrect then fine. Otherwise I suggest you quit digging yourself deeper into the "looking stupid" hole.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:44:33

.... idiot ...moron.....stupid....

You're the one claiming a paper based on data tables containing page after page of data based on 9,458 measurements of atmospheric chemistry has "no measurements" in it. :lol: :roll: :-D

Cheers!

PS: When I say your reading comprehension is so poor that you don't understand what you are reading, I'm not saying you are stupid or so poorly educated that you are incapable of understanding the scientific literature. I know you have a M.Sc. degree and worked for many years as a professional in the oil biz. I'm just pointing out that your posts don't make any sense ---- probably because you can't remember what you just read. And then when this is pointed out to you you throw a childish fit. Wow.

Look at this most recent exchange...you claim a paper based on thousands of measurements of atmospheric chemistry has "no measurements" in it, and then act out like a little child having a tantrum and calling people names when your little mistake is pointed out to you.

Try to get a grip. You made a little mistake---its not the end of the world.

Waaaah! Waaaah! There are no measurements in the paper!!! Ignore the 9458 measurements in the data tables! Waaah! I say there are NO MEASUREMENTS!!!!

Cheers! :lol: :) :-D :roll: :razz:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 22:59:31

You're the one claiming a paper based on data tables containing page after page of data based on 9,458 measurements of atmospheric chemistry has "no measurements" in it.

you just made that up. If you quoted me correctly (and I just showed the quotes above) you could not make this claim. Is there something frigging the matter with your brain?

Once again what I actually said:

They got all of their estimates of fossil fuel contributions from the paper I previously quoted (Schwietzke, S et al, 2016) that is quite obvious from their Table 1. They did not measure it themselves,

The NASA paper never measured CH4 for any reason other than determining biomass burning amounts through time. They did not directly measure fossil fuel originated CH4. They got all of that information from a previous paper and those authors got their information from a literature search and compilation (with no quality control, ie. assumed all values were equally relevant
)

Please show us all where I actually said the paper had no measurements in it, what I said was those measurements came from the literature. Now please show us all where my claims are wrong. If not why not just shut the hell up.

This sort of behavior is childish at best and reprehensible at it's worst. If you can't quote people properly then you should not be here. I doubt very much the moderators look favorably on your actions. If you think this sort of behavior will cause people to engage with you I suspect you have another think coming.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 07:36:57

CHK shares are heading down below $3 again. RRC really looks ugly, too. This after a year of higher ng prices but obviously not high enough. Producing unprofitable wells isn't a long term strategy? Who would have thought...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-chesapeake-energy-corporation-apos-181100258.html

Chesapeake Energy had hoped to strengthen its financial situation so that it could return to growth mode last year. However, it ran into an unexpected headwind from Hurricane Harvey, which caused production to fall 15% in the third quarter. Additional headwinds appear set to hold it back again this year -- it anticipates that output to be flat to modestly higher, which was well below the 7% growth that analysts expected. That tepid outlook is another reason why the company no longer needs as many employees and shows how far it remains behind the competition, many of whom can deliver high-octane growth in the current environment.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:12:27

More haircuts because, hey, this stuff was never profitable. Rex Energy is also filing soon.

McClendon-founded Ascent Resources Marcellus files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Ascent Resources Marcellus Holdings LLC, a shale driller founded by the late U.S. fracking pioneer Aubrey McClendon, said on Tuesday it had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy as part of a negotiated plan with lenders to reduce about $1 billion of debt and boost liquidity.

Privately held Ascent is one of several energy companies McClendon launched after he was ousted in 2013 during a corporate governance crisis from Chesapeake Energy Corp, which he had founded and built into one of the largest U.S. shale drillers.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Flare Mining – Turning Waste Natural Gas into an Alternative

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 12:19:27

Flare Mining’s innovative, flare gas capture and processing systems turn raw associated gas and from a waste into digital currency income. Gas flaring is the combustion of associated gas produced with crude oil or from gas fields. The impact of gas flaring is of local and global concern. Gas flaring is one of the most challenging energy and environmental problems facing the world today whether regionally or globally. It is a multi-billion dollar waste, a local environmental catastrophe and a global energy and environmental problem which has persisted for decades. The option to release gas to the atmosphere by flaring and venting is an essential practice in oil and gas production, primarily for safety reasons. Flaring is the controlled burning of natural gas produced in association with oil in the course of routine oil and gas production operations. Venting is the controlled

Flare Mining – Turning Waste Natural Gas into an Alternative Store of Value
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 16:50:44

And another fine example of how filing bankruptcy make the INDUSTRY stronger. Apparently it will be the money lenders (banks/bond holders) that take the hit and not the investors or service companies: "...and added that its vendors and service providers would not be impaired by the restructuring...". Just as in the vast majority of Chapter 11 filings. I suppose those interest rate 2 to 3 times higher then that of Treasuries don't look that good right now.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 19:28:30

The Ascent referenced in the article is the West Virginia operation with 43,000 acres targeting the Marcellus only. There were a few articles around describing the situation in more detail, but I did not read them.
Backing away from pipeline commitments at these horrifically low prices may be a factor in the BK process.

Supposedly, it has all somewhat been amicably pre-arranged with lenders and the BK process will be complete in about 60 days with minimal interruption.

Rex may become a buyout target.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Natural gas flaring

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 19:37:16

Several innovative, smaller outfits have come up with hardware to capture and liquify onsite gas from unconventional wells.

I have yet to hear of any who have been widely adopted by the industry.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 19:43:37

December Pennsylvania production report just released.
One well - Chesapeake's McGavin 6 - has now produced 6 1/2 Billion cubic feet first FIVE months online.
The productivity out of the Appalachian Basin will reverberate throughout the global energy markets for decades to come.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 15:22:43

coffeeguyzz wrote:Several innovative, smaller outfits have come up with hardware to capture and liquify onsite gas from unconventional wells.

I have yet to hear of any who have been widely adopted by the industry.

This is an example, of IMO, where regulators need to do their jobs and FORCE oil extractors not to flare the gas -- or pay HUGE fines. And if it adds a small amount to the cost of fossil fuels, SO BE IT. (Not that the vast majority of people who complain about "dirty oil", etc. seem willing to actually PAY the costs associated with cleaning things up.
Which is why lawmakers don't push harder to do so.)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 18:37:26

Outcast - It's typically not a cost factor but a lack of pipelines available to put the NG in. And the lack of a pipeline is a matter of it not being economic for a NG gathering company to build one. Thus the oil would not be produced. Same true if you put a "huge fine" on the producer which makes developing those reserves uneconomic. Thus the political hurdle: the company loses the possibility of making money but the lease owns and taxing authorities would lose revenue.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 19 Feb 2018, 16:43:00

ROCKMAN wrote:Outcast - It's typically not a cost factor but a lack of pipelines available to put the NG in. And the lack of a pipeline is a matter of it not being economic for a NG gathering company to build one. Thus the oil would not be produced. Same true if you put a "huge fine" on the producer which makes developing those reserves uneconomic. Thus the political hurdle: the company loses the possibility of making money but the lease owns and taxing authorities would lose revenue.

Thanks for that.

And I get that. But isn't this semantics? (To me, the requirement to put in a pipeline (or some other viable solution) instead of flaring the gas is PRECISELY: a "cost factor", which would increase the total recovery cost for the oil source.)

The point I was (perhaps incorrectly in some way) trying to make is that regulations forcing such gas not to be flared would force such oil sources NOT to be used until/unless the price were high enough to make it economic AND responsibly handle the NG produced as a side effect of gathering the oil.

And if things like that routinely/consistently had to be done everywhere (globally), then the price of oil would no doubt be higher.

But we don't do that, just like we don't impose the social costs of burning fossil fuels -- because the voters don't want to pay the costs. (They want to talk about "being green", but IF the costs become at all meaningful, the polls move 180 degrees on the willingness to address AGW, pollution, etc).

Whatever the political hurdle or the current political focal point -- the key thing is we do the wrong thing, because it costs powerful entity X (be it producer or consumer or lease holder) too much.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Russian Arctic natural gas comes to India

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 21:44:53

It was the first ever shipload of Russian Arctic LNG to India. And more is to come. According to Lev Feodosev, Deputy Chairman of Novatek’s Management Board, the Asian market is considered of major importance for the company’s LNG project in Yamal. «One of our main priorities, which is laid down in the company’s strategy until year 2030, is the geographic expansion of deliveries and enhanced presence in key Asian markets,» he says. «The first delivery of LNG to the growing Indian market is an important first step in this direction». Since Novatek launched production at its Yamal LNG plant, out-shipments of more than one million tons of liquified gas has been made. A total of four brand new and powerful LNG carriers now shuttle to and from the project terminal of Sabetta, and another 11 vessels of the kind are under construction. The ships have powerful

Russian Arctic natural gas comes to India
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Natural Gas Developments

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 12 Jun 2018, 12:27:51

Might be part of the solution for the EU escaping Russian NG. From

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/afric ... 3-article/

(Bloomberg) -- On a tropical island just off the coast of Nigeria, hundreds of engineers work around the clock to produce liquefied natural gas at a plant the size of Lower Manhattan. Operator Nigeria LNG Ltd. says it will decide later this year whether to invest more than $10 billion to boost capacity by 40 percent. That would allow the Bonny Island terminal -- an hour’s ferry ride from the oil hub of Port Harcourt -- to export as much as 66 million cubic meters (30 million tons) a year to markets in Europe and Asia.

NLNG’s shareholders -- Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Total SA, Eni SpA and state-controlled Nigerian National Petroleum Corp. -- must weigh the benefits of expanding their profitable venture against the threat of higher taxes, pipeline vandalism in the Niger River delta and volatile gas prices. Those concerns have already delayed the project first mooted in 2012. Any further interruptions will increase the risk that Africa’s biggest oil producer misses the global transition to cleaner fuels and a chance to reduce its stuttering economy’s reliance on crude.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 25 Aug 2018, 07:37:45

I've noticed a few experts raising alarms about the amount of natural gas going into storage. We have a couple more months of build and supply expectations are high so prices are staying fairly low. Rig counts haven't risen in the shale gas areas the last year and permits in Marcellus were really low the last couple of months so I am wondering about those supply expectations being met. On the demand side, we have hot temps for the next two weeks.

One thing I noticed is that the availability of natural gas is a key to the manufacturing sector. Europe is already is the cross-hairs.

Europe's Unprecedented Natural Gas Rally Drives Up Power
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Sat 25 Aug 2018, 13:00:44

I am somewhat surprised at the low injection rate.

At the production end, There is a ton of gas coming out of the Permian, SCOOP/STACK, Ap Basin.
Even the Bakken is maxxed out in their gas capture.

And yet, future contract pricing remains very low.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming months.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 11 Sep 2018, 17:33:19

The United States exported more natural gas than it imported in 2017, marking the first time since 1957 that the United States has been a net natural gas exporter. The transition to net exporter occurred as natural gas production in the United States continued to grow, reducing pipeline imports from Canada and increasing exports, both by pipeline and as liquefied natural gas (LNG).

Natural gas production in the United States increased significantly over the past decade. The United States surpassed Russia in 2009 as the world’s largest natural gas producer as shale gas production drove overall increases in natural gas production.

As the United States has produced more natural gas, particularly from the Appalachia region, pipeline imports from Canada have decreased. As new pipeline capacity comes online in the region, more natural gas can be delivered to regions in the Midwest and Northeast, displacing Canadian imports and increasing U.S. pipeline exports to Canada.

U.S. natural gas pipeline capacity into Mexico has also increased over the past few years, driven by growth in demand for natural gas from Mexico’s power sector and favorable prices compared with natural gas supplied by LNG shipments. U.S.-Mexico natural gas pipeline capacity is currently 11.2 Bcf/d, with another 3.2 Bcf/d of capacity scheduled to be added later in 2018. Pipeline exports to Mexico have grown along with pipeline capacity, more than doubling since 2014.
The United States exported more natural gas than it imported in 2017

U.S. Natural Gas Net Imports
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion