Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Warning to Humanity -second notice

Re: Warning to Humanity -second notice

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 15:20:08

OS, you surprise me. Not the least aspect of that surprise is that you do not self-identify as and in fact decry "liberal do-gooders".
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 15:38:18

KaiserJeep wrote:OS, you surprise me. Not the least aspect of that surprise is that you do not self-identify as and in fact decry "liberal do-gooders".

I do try to be a "do gooder". The difference is that I don't think I have the right to tell everyone ELSE how their money should be redistributed. So instead of spending lots of time and energy fighting to have more taxes (redistribution for purposes I believe in), I just redistribute some of my own (earned) money, voluntarily and based on my own criteria.

So it's not the "good" that I decry, it's the method, the nature, and the narrative of the way liberals tend to go about it via politics. (I don't like plenty of what he GOP does re the war machine, the environment, science denial, etc. and I've said so, and many of my positions would be considered liberal -- it's specifically the "government should control as much of your wallet as possible" issue that I have the big problem with re the left.)

Now, if that makes me a "bad guy", so be it.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 15:53:02

Newfie wrote:
Cog wrote:Perhaps you doomers should just start mowing people down in the streets, especially Republicans. That is really what you want to do, so why keep hiding what you are?

OK Cog, you’ve had a couple of folks respond to your troll.

Please respond with something thoughtful.

I don't want to rile them up too bad Newfie.

After second thought I think I will. The premise of the entire article is that we need do destroy consumption by seizing wealth and spreading it around. Logically, if you can't acquire that by some peaceful means, then you have to mow people down in the streets and pick the pockets of the not quite dead. Social justice warriors want to use the force of government(those guys with guns) to take what they think would be better spent by others. The IRS has armed agents and quite a budget to accomplish this.

If onlooker doesn't want a political angle in his threads then he needs to be more careful with his source material.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 16:21:28

Carefull there. I stepped on a lot of toes in the Fascism thread, by maintaining that the most basic definition of a Fascist was that of a person who imposed his will to overide yours, restricting choice and personal liberty by using the powers of government.

I do believe that is accurate, but a Social Justice Warrior does not want to think of himself as a Fascist. Even if true.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 16:35:41

Okay first off, despite what Outcast may say, this article should any of you care to read it in its entirety does not come out one way or the other for or against wealth distribution. It simply states the obvious fact that inequality in consumption exists. The article is simply attempting to highlight how HUMANITY is allowing things to get worse related to its impact on this planet. I agree with much of what Kaiser has said about all this, in this thread and others. However, in the interest of full disclosure our assault on the planets abilities to sustain our life and that of other species is two-pronged. Via overpopulation and via an inordinate and pernicious level of consumption and technology which is harmful to the planet. The main one being CO2 emissions. So let us NOT pretend all of us do not understand this. I agree with Kaiser and others that redistributing wealth will NOT solve this dilemna. That we are simply now stuck with technologies and processes that we need to sustain us that are malicious towards the planet. And our numbers in and of themselves is also malicious towards the planet. Magic bullet solutions do NOT exist. We must to some degree take our medicine and accept it and adapt as best we can. This guarantees nothing except giving us some time. Ultimately since we are reluctant and/or unable to do it, Earth will rid many of us from it and lay low our Modern Industrial Civilization. That now seems inevitable.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 29 Dec 2017, 17:23:38

If humanity were as helpless as any other Earthly species, I would agree with you. But we are the ones who overpopulated the world with ourselves and our food animals, we are the ones who reverse and defeat every natural curb to our numbers with Medicine and Science. The ultimate carrying capacity of the Earth would be somewhere between 10 and 15 Billion, most likely - and when we discover that upper bound, we will have broken the current ecology.

This is where my oft-repeated solution of leaving the planet comes in. But I didn't mention the downside possibility that accompanies that space technology. Suppose we were to build a space elevator (i.e. a presently proposed NASA project that eliminates the need for rocketry).
This will absolutely work, it is within the bounds of present materials science, using composite carbon fiber cabling, monocrystalline metal alloys, and so forth. Financially it is not yet affordable, but the numbers do work.

So every trip UP the elevator we send people and every trip DOWN is finished goods manufactured in zero-G space. The carrying capacity of the Earth would go from 15 Billion to at least 30 Billion, perhaps 50 Billion. By then there might be another 50 Billion in space, and not long after that, the first Trillion humans milestone would be reached, mostly space dwellers.

The world of The Expanse would become real.
Believe me, one of the possibilities with Doom is it never happens. Isn't THAT a heartbreaking idea?

KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 14:06:03

The possibility exists that Tinkerbell and Santaclause will announce themselves , meantime in the real world
https://rubbishplease.co.uk/blog/land-p ... tatistics/
Some grim Land Pollution Facts And Statistics
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 17:46:20

:lol:
:cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jawagord » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 08:36:22

Space elevator in 15 years predictions pop up every decade, about half the frequency of the "we have 5 years to fix climate change or we're doomed" predictions.

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/jul/cover
jawagord
Coal
Coal

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 14:31:25

The difference is that we now have composite alloys and carbon fiber cabling to actually meet the required specs. I'm not saying this will happen in the next century, but I believe it will sometime after that. I'm a person who remembers propeller driven airliners, and the wonder of the Boeing 707 in an age when most Middle Class people travelled on railroads, before the interstate highway system was built.

KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 01 Jan 2018, 14:39:30

I admit that my curiosity most peaks with advances in Bio-genetics and Cybernetics along with Warp drives and Worm holes
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate