Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Miocene Anthropocene Future

Moderator: Tanada

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 22:40:21

Cid_Yama wrote:Yes, Plant is technically correct, that the full International Congress has not voted, but it is all but a done deal.


There is no "technical". There is just correct. When it becomes official, then people can claim it as it exists. Until then, nope, not yet.
Cid_Yama wrote:Seems AdamB doesn't like the vote and would rather misrepresent it. How does that not surprise me.


Seems like I'm not the one "technically" misrepresenting it. I stated it as a fact and I, and Plant, are both correct. There is no Anthropocene epoch. There MIGHT be...but that hasn't happened yet, so run along and misrepresent that fact to those gullible enough to not know the difference between it being a done deal, or not.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2753
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 22:44:43

Cid_Yama wrote:How stupid does he think people on here are? :roll:


You tell us, being the one currently not even knowing the difference between a declared Anthropocene, and a not yet declared Anthropocene. You don't have to lead the reality challenged brigades by example you know.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2753
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 22:51:59

Cid_Yama wrote:Blah, Blah, Blah - What I didn't read was your reply.


Why would you? You might have learned something. Stop resisting learning something, you can't change the reality of who gets to declare an epoch, just wait and see, and in the meantime stop testing the stratospheric limits of reality denial, we understand already that P.T. Barnum was right, you don't have to keep proving it.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2753
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 08:23:44

"...reality denial..."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16603
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:17:13

The reality is, it is far too late to stop climate change. The sooner we accept that the sooner we can look for solutions to maintain a viable civilization with climate change being one existential factor in the mix.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
User avatar
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 06:38:26
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby M_B_S » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 01:00:47

http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/e ... 11_neu.pdf
Middle Miocene Climate Evolution:
The Role of Large-Scale Ocean Circulation
and Ocean Gateways


Hey PEAK OILER just read the Krapp Dissertation

"Bis zum Ende der Welt" S.7 :idea: :arrow:

https://www.pik-potsdam.de/members/krapp

http://climateanalytics.org
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
User avatar
M_B_S
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat 20 Aug 2005, 02:00:00

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 05:26:51

Mark Lynas wrote:Along with Trump and Exxon-Mobil, I'd add the German Green Party to my list of climate criminals. Looks like Germany is going to miss its carbon targets 'disastrously'. Why? Because the Greens let their 1970s-era anti-nuclear ideology trump any thoughts about carbon, in establishing an 'Energiewende' that was all about switching off nuclear and replacing it with their sacred renewables. Meanwhile they left the dirty coal plants humming away undisturbed! And now they blame anyone but themselves, demanding the current government switch off coal knowing full well that is now impossible to do because the lights would go out. Greens do lots of handwaving and virtue signalling while the coal trains keep rumbling along. And this is a model for the rest of the world? It's a model for what happens when you give ideology higher priority than evidence.


http://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/1 ... ent-paper/
Last edited by Tanada on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 06:49:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
User avatar
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 4053
Joined: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 06:38:26
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 06:08:30

Subjectivist wrote:
Mark Lynas wrote:Along with Trump and Exxon-Mobil, I'd add the German Green Party to my list of climate criminals. Looks like Germany is going to miss its carbon targets 'disastrously'. Why? Because the Greens let their 1970s-era anti-nuclear ideology trump any thoughts about carbon, in establishing an 'Energiewende' that was all about switching off nuclear and replacing it with their sacred renewables. Meanwhile they left the dirty coal plants humming away undisturbed! And now they blame anyone but themselves, demanding the current government switch off coal knowing full well that is now impossible to do because the lights would go out. Greens do lots of handwaving and virtue signalling while the coal trains keep rumbling along. And this is a model for the rest of the world? It's a model for what happens when you give ideology higher priority than evidence.


http://www.climatechangenews.com/2017/1 ... ent-paper/


Yes shame on Germany under Merkel and other climate criminals... Merkel fools the whole world .

Its not the Green its Merkel CDU+ SPD "Great" Coalition
User avatar
M_B_S
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat 20 Aug 2005, 02:00:00

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby Revi » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 07:53:12

Sea levels are climbing at about a centimeter a year. That means a lot of places are going to be underwater soon. Not to mention storm surges, etc. I think we need to deal with this, and soon! Boston's back bay, large parts of NYC and of course Miami are all going to be in trouble soon. It seems like the real consequences of climate change are hitting now. We are finding out that its a real problem, despite what Pruitt, Inhofe and Our Dear Leader think.

Call it the holocene, anthropocene or whatever. It matters not. The water is rising..
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 6776
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 09:43:25

Revi wrote:Call it the holocene, anthropocene or whatever. It matters not. The water is rising..


Has been for a long time Revi. The newest stuff ain't nuttin compared to when REAL global warming was roiling the planet. But for the last 8000 years? Not so much. I would recommend we worry about real issues, like the halitosis epidemic in our rural areas.

Image
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2753
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 17:18:25

Yup, that's how fast it can rise and faster. And that is what we are heading for, and faster.
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16603
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby dissident » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 08:56:11

AdamB wrote:
Revi wrote:Call it the holocene, anthropocene or whatever. It matters not. The water is rising..


Has been for a long time Revi. The newest stuff ain't nuttin compared to when REAL global warming was roiling the planet. But for the last 8000 years? Not so much. I would recommend we worry about real issues, like the halitosis epidemic in our rural areas.

Image


What a useless graph for the current discussion. All of the details are buried around (0,0) which are at the pixel scale using the graph units.

Image

Image

Only an idiot would spout off at others about worrying too much.
User avatar
dissident
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sat 08 Apr 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby Revi » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:32:58

Obviously Adam B doesn't leave anywhere near sea level. If he did, he might understand that rising a centimeter a year could be a big problem.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 6776
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 14:32:00

Subjectivist wrote:The reality is, it is far too late to stop climate change. The sooner we accept that the sooner we can look for solutions to maintain a viable civilization with climate change being one existential factor in the mix.

I accept that the climate has changed. And it will change again. But there are no solutions. Gaia has her own time table and agenda.

This or another civilization will fall, as civilizations have fallen before. And others will rise up to replace them. It may be humans (in far few numbers) or ants. Or even a non-carbon life form? Who knows, but the universe seems to tend to order between bouts of chaos.
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster
 
Posts: 26063
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby jawagord » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 22:02:12

Revi wrote:Obviously Adam B doesn't leave anywhere near sea level. If he did, he might understand that rising a centimeter a year could be a big problem.

I think you probably do not live anywhere near sea level either? If you did you would know that tides are the big problem not minuscule sea level rise. Which is why we have tide charts, tide apps, tide warnings to protect us from events like a 12 ft change in tide level during a day.

http://www.tofino-bc.com/tides/print.php
jawagord
Coal
Coal
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon 29 May 2017, 09:49:17

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 13 Oct 2017, 22:06:42

Riiiiight.

And that is why tides are now regularly flooding the streets of Miami.

Thanks for the entertainment...
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16603
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 17 Oct 2017, 15:16:38

+ 1 Dohboi
User avatar
kiwichick
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sat 02 Aug 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Southland New Zealand

Previous

Return to Environment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests