Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Arctic Sea Ice 2017 Pt. 1

Moderator: Tanada

Re: Arctic Sea Ice 2017 Pt. 1

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 02:20:46

Wattsupwiththat is a denier site. Try the end of the Pliocene as the last time the Arctic was ice free.
That's 2.58 million years ago. The start of the Pleistocene is the start of the four most recent glaciations. Current understanding is that there had never been an ice free period between those glaciations. Of course, you will find some who believe otherwise, but the current understanding is that the last time the Arctic was ice free, was the end of the Pliocene. (Based on Arctic Ocean sediment cores.)

Opps, I just found a paper from 2014 that pushes it back to 4 million years ago.

The emergence of modern sea ice cover in the Arctic Ocean
Arctic sea ice coverage is shrinking in response to global climate change and summer ice-free conditions in the Arctic Ocean are predicted by the end of the century. The validity of this prediction could potentially be tested through the reconstruction of the climate of the Pliocene epoch (5.33–2.58 million years ago), an analogue of a future warmer Earth. Here we show that, in the Eurasian sector of the Arctic Ocean, ice-free conditions prevailed in the early Pliocene until sea ice expanded from the central Arctic Ocean for the first time ca. 4 million years ago. Amplified by a rise in topography in several regions of the Arctic and enhanced freshening of the Arctic Ocean, sea ice expanded progressively in response to positive ice-albedo feedback mechanisms. Sea ice reached its modern winter maximum extension for the first time during the culmination of the Northern Hemisphere glaciation, ca. 2.6 million years ago.

link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Fri 06 Oct 2017, 20:25:54

I saw this beautiful video today of sea ice forming in the Arctic and I would like to share it:

https://youtu.be/cQjKjOdAZow?t=1s

From watching it I was amazed to see how much water vapor is being expressed into the atmosphere from the freeze up process. If freezing is diminished, then this source of water vapor would diminish.
Rod_Cloutier
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Cool ice

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 08 Oct 2017, 08:09:53

We highlight a selection of the most breathtaking ice formations that have been found in nature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8b_IQv-rw

Maybe Elsa the icy queen can let it go:

Fearless optimist Anna (voice of Kristen Bell) sets off on an epic journey—teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff (voice of Jonathan Groff) and his loyal reindeer Sven—to find her sister Elsa (voice of Idina Menzel), whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

What else could save the arctic sea ice from going extinct?
Magic is what we need, and soon.

That or drain the arctic ocean 50 meters as to lay bare the ESAS so it can refreeze and the 1500 Gton carbon pool stays put, sealed.
Close of the water between Russia/Alaska, Fram, Iceland to Norway and pump enough water out, make a giant brine lake.......sweet and salty.
Easy does it, just ask the Dutch, they love to pump out water and clear land.
Whitefang
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 08 Oct 2017, 16:21:08

Rod_Cloutier wrote:how much water vapor is being expressed into the atmosphere from the freeze up process. If freezing is diminished, then this source of water vapor would diminish.
I think it's the opposite. The evaporation is from open water, nothing to do with the process.
"I could go on, but let’s veer off in another direction instead."

– The Archdruid
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 08:16:06

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 08:58:55

I guess it's the third smallest area covered by sea ice, but still well below the average...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:42:10

Keith_McClary wrote:
Rod_Cloutier wrote:how much water vapor is being expressed into the atmosphere from the freeze up process. If freezing is diminished, then this source of water vapor would diminish.
I think it's the opposite. The evaporation is from open water, nothing to do with the process.

No the below 0 deg. C wind blowing over the open water is giving it a wind chill effect and stripping heat and moisture (as water vapor) out of it. As soon as enough heat has been sucked away that open water will also freeze.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Environment