Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A Critical Discussion the Limits to Renewable Energy Pt 2

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: A Critical Discussion the Limits to Renewable Energy Pt

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:00:54

RM, I run around with a tank of liquid CO2 in my Jeep to reinflate tires after driving offroad. The stuff either has to be chilled very cold or kept under 850+ psi pressure to remain in liquid form. How (in brief) does one inject CO2 into a warm underground and have it remain in the liquid state?
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:01:56

ROCKMAN wrote: Also known for giving HUGE bonuses when the hit goals. And elsame size from VP to receptionist. I think last one was $60,000. Very big on rewarding success in a big way.

Good for him. Seems like the best way to ensure people are engaged -- to actually follow through and give promised rewards (whether bonuses, promotions, or whatever is appropriate), for success.

I like the idea of rewarding everyone, but am not so sure about the receptionist getting the same bonus as the gal who spent 90 hours a week solving nightmarish technical problems -- but he should run his company as he sees fit, and you can't argue with success.

What puzzles me is how seldomly business owners seem to offer incentives like simple profit sharing. Take a simple Waffle House as an example. As it is, that store is a paragon of inefficiency with generally poorly motivated employees, mediocre to poor service, and in retreat generally in the past couple of decades (if how busy they are is any indication).

Now, a store with a profit sharing plan where the more they make the more the employees get in bonus -- lots of problems are solved. Motivation for one. Finding good people for another (motivated employees will help recruit. AND they'll put pressure on deadbeats to get to work or quit, and help the boss know who is consistently a deadbeat.

And so what if the owner only makes 70% or 50% of BIG and growing profits, vs. 100% of moribund or falling, small profits?

And yet, the vastly prevalent model is poorly trained, demotivated near-minimum wage employees, and customers who have little to no reason to think, "I want to come back here" in the vast majority of cases.

I don't get it.

(Any casual labor I hire for work around the yard is well paid for what they do. I'm reasonable on expectations. I insist on safety and let them know I want them to be safe and take breaks, and provide water and snacks for breaks. I praise good work. I pay meaningful bonuses over time for consistent good work. And funny thing, I'm always delighted with my workers, because the unreliable ones (there are some, no matter what you do) are always easy to replace. For me, it's just a better deal all around to treat people right and enjoy a low stress environment as a side effect). But I guess I'm an "idiot" for not minimizing my expenses as "job one". :?
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:59:27

OS, you have just described the difference between having a good boss and a bad boss. It is a little more nuanced in that you should have a working supervisor who mentors you in your job tasks, then a good manager that he works for, and a good 2nd level manager. Lastly one should have no more than four layers of management between the CEO and the least worker bee, and no more than a 10:1 discrepancy in salaries between that CEO and the lowest paid fulltime worker bee. Silicon Valley has proved this formula works hundreds of times.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Energy Technology