Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 15 Jul 2017, 00:37:48

Yes, you're right, as[hnas]g...flying was not highlighted because it is definitely way too 'political'...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16459
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 16 Jul 2017, 15:32:02

This is a perfect example of a 'first world problem'. Folks in most of Africa/Asia/South America go by foot or train, but Noth Americans and Europeans consider flying to be a 'right'. Truth be told without subsidies air travle would quickly become to expensive for middle and lower class European/North American folks as well.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
User avatar
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 06:38:26
Location: Northwest Ohio

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby vox_mundi » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 10:01:59

New Model Projects Increased Dust Storms In U.S.

Image

Video - Could the storms that once engulfed the Great Plains in clouds of black dust in the 1930's once again wreak havoc in the U.S.? A new statistical model developed by researchers at Princeton University and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts that climate change will amplify dust activity in parts of the U.S. in the latter half of the 21st century, which may lead to the increased frequency of spectacular dust storms that have far-reaching impacts on public health and infrastructure.

Certain regions of the U.S., such as the southwestern deserts and the central plains, are dust-prone. Most importantly, existing climate models predict "unprecedented" dry conditions in the late-21st century due to an increase in greenhouse gases in these very areas.

It is this "perfect storm" of geography and predicted drought and drought-like conditions that led Pu and her colleague Paul Ginoux, a physical scientist at GFDL, to examine the influence of climate change on dust. They analyzed satellite data about the frequency of dust events and the land's leafy green coverage over the contiguous U.S., as well as precipitation and surface wind speed, and reported that climate change will increase dust activity in the southern Great Plains from spring to fall in the late half of the 21st century due to reduced rainfall, increased land surface bareness and increased surface wind speed. Conversely, they predicted reduced dust activity in the northern Great Plains in spring during the same time period due to increased precipitation and increased surface vegetation.

Image
Changes of dust event frequency in the late half of the twenty-first century (with reference to the historical run, 1861–2005).

Full Access: Bing Pu et al. Projection of American dustiness in the late 21st century due to climate change, Scientific Reports (2017).


Tasmania's Fisheries Cooked by Record-Breaking Marine Heatwave

Human induced Climate Change was almost certainly responsible for a marine heatwave off Tasmania's east coast in 2015/16 that lasted 251 days and at its greatest extent had an area of impact seven times the size of Tasmania, according to a new study published today in Nature Communications.

The marine heat wave reduced the productivity of Tasmanian salmon fisheries, led to a rise in Blacklip abalone mortality, sparked an outbreak of Pacific Oyster Mortality Syndrome and saw new fish species move into Tasmanian waters.
"The evidence shows that the frequency of extreme warming events in the ocean is increasing globally," ... "In 2015 and 2016 around one-quarter of the ocean surface area experienced a marine heatwave that was either the longest or most intense recorded since global satellite-records began in 1982.

At its peak intensity, waters off Tasmania were 2.9°C above expected summertime temperatures.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
User avatar
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: Wed 27 Sep 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 14:19:27



Do any scientists or any of their climate models ever assume that global warming will stop at 2°C because of the Paris Climate Accords?

Of course not---that shows you right there that the limits on global warming agreed to in the Paris Accords are a total sham and a fraud against all humanity.

cheers!

"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
"Il bel far niente"
---traditional Italian saying
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 20256
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 02:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 14:45:05

asg70 wrote:One of those actions dwarfs the rest. Which do you think that is? Why do you think that action isn't really highlighted? Because it's a third-rail politically of course.


All VOLUNTARY, of course.

Subsidies to fossil fuel industries make it a no-brainer to take an airplane because everyone else will do so if they can as well.
User avatar
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu 28 May 2009, 09:10:44

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Jul 2017, 09:40:22

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-red-pill

Climate denial is like The Matrix; more Republicans are choosing the red pill

The wall of Republican climate denial is starting to crack
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16459
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 19 Jul 2017, 14:35:35

How To Tell Who’s Lying To You: Climate Science Edition
Image
What is the Greatest Scientific Fraud of all Time? (from the ManhattanContrarian.com)
Part I
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2013/7/18/what-is-the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part II
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2014/7/2/what-is-the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-ii?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part III
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/2/9/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-iii?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part IV
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/2/11/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-iv?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part V
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/6/7/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-iv?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part VI
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/7/21/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-v?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part VII
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/8/23/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-vii?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part VIII
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/10/29/rfsa9vbsxlt2zlacglwufgt29mh0f1?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part IX
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2015/11/30/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-ix?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part X
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2016/7/20/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-x?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part XI
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2017/1/4/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-xi?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Part XII
http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2017/1/18/the-greatest-scientific-fraud-of-all-time-part-xii?rq=The%20Greatest%20Scientific%20Fraud%20Of%20All%20Time
Image
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley


Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Jul 2017, 17:43:16

https://www.commondreams.org/author/mar ... in-salamon

The Planet Is Warming. And It's Okay to Be Afraid
Why being fearful can be part of a healthy, heroic response to the climate crisis


A
ffect tolerance—the ability to tolerate a wide range of feelings in oneself and others—is a critical psychological skill. On the other hand, affect phobia—the fear of certain feelings in oneself or others—is a major psychological problem, as it causes people to rely heavily on psychological defenses.

Much of the climate movement seems to suffer from affect phobia, which is probably not surprising given that scientific culture aspires to be purely rational, free of emotional influence. Further, the feelings involved in processing the climate crisis—fear, grief, anger, guilt, and helplessness—can be overwhelming. But that doesn’t mean we should try to avoid "making" people feel such things. Experiencing them is a normal, healthy, necessary part of coming to terms with the climate crisis.
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16459
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 19 Jul 2017, 19:57:56

dohboi wrote:-snip-

(One wonders whether KJ even realized that his second cartoon--as if cartoons prove anything, anyway--is actually making fun of denialists like him...)


Not my interpretation - and if it is yours, you are pro-AGW prejudiced. (But it's funny either way.)

Doughboy, a simple explanation for why so many scientific climatistas have been caught cheating - meaning fudging the data to show that a warming trend exists - would be appreciated.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby dissident » Wed 19 Jul 2017, 22:33:27

KaiserJeep wrote:
dohboi wrote:-snip-

(One wonders whether KJ even realized that his second cartoon--as if cartoons prove anything, anyway--is actually making fun of denialists like him...)


Not my interpretation - and if it is yours, you are pro-AGW prejudiced. (But it's funny either way.)

Doughboy, a simple explanation for why so many scientific climatistas have been caught cheating - meaning fudging the data to show that a warming trend exists - would be appreciated.


You are an example of a fanatic. Someone who refuses 100% to admit any evidence that their position/opinion is flawed. Basically you think like a religious fundie. You think all of this is about some belief system.

Rolling out a list of debunked talking points over and over will never make them true. And your attempt to smear scientists as frauds is beyond pathetic. I dare you to list all of the scientists you claim have been "caught cheating". This is patent blood libel. But such fanatical thinking is consistent for you.
User avatar
dissident
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Sat 08 Apr 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 00:15:26

The most recent, most publicised Global Warming frauds:

Michael Mann, UVA climate scientist, is being prosecuted for a 2002 statute, the Virginia Fraud Against Taxpayers Act, as part of the East Anglia "Climategate" scandal.

NOAA itself was busted for warming up temperature data last February by retired NOAA climate scientist John Bates. Bates had been one of two Principal Scientists at the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI).

Both NoAA and the IPCC were busted in the "Pausebuster" scandal when the published "Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperatures version 4", or ERSSTv4, which tripled the warming trend over the sea during the years 2000 to 2014 from just 0.036C per decade – as stated in version 3 – to 0.099C per decade.

In October 2016 there was a UK scandal where the UK government gave $11 million dollars to the Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy (CCCEP) in exchange for research that the organization reportedly never actually did. Instead they made lists of papers that others had published, mis-represented the resulys, and claimed credit.

The pattern is clear: if the actual data does not support the modelled warming trend, the data is "adjusted" until the trend is shown, and the adjusted figures are archived in place of the original data. Time and again, it is happening.

READ and respond to the 12 blog articles above. You see, YOU are the one denying reality when you exclude knowledge of AGW cheats, and automatically discard any publication that does not support your flawed AGW theory.

Now you are free to repeat your "97% of all climate scientists believe...." argument. Total BS that would be, science is not done by popular opinion.

Doughboy, just how is it that you are so abymally ignorant of all the datasets that dispute the AGW theory?

I believe it's because you are wearing blinders, and excluding valid data that does not support your favorite theory.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 01:04:46

@ kj ......that would be because there is no data that refutes the fact that we are heating up the planet at the fastest rate ever seen......probably 10 X the previous fastest
User avatar
kiwichick
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat 02 Aug 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Southland New Zealand

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 07:13:38

kiwichick wrote:@ kj ......that would be because there is no data that refutes the fact that we are heating up the planet at the fastest rate ever seen......probably 10 X the previous fastest


Nor is there any data that establishes that fact. Derived temperature data is highly suspect, with +/- 10% tolerances for recent (hundreds of years ago) temperatures, and larger tolerances the further one gets from the present. Yet all of the climate models ignore the tolerance bands, and assume that the prior temperatures have the value of the center of the band.

The only accurate global temperature data we have is from the Earthsats, and those satellite datasets are the ones that do not support any warming above that predicted for net solar radiance, and are only decades old. All of the paleotemperature data is suspect, that is the point. Nor is there any way to integrate spot temperature data into an average global figure, aside from scanning an entire hemisphere of our planet from a satellite.

By the way, there is no accurate way to establish an average global temperature from spot thermometer values, or from scattered and sparse tree ring, lake bed sediment, and ice core data. Discussions of derived paleotemperatures are nonsense, and all recorded spot temperatures from the last few huindred years display warming that is simply the result of the urban heat island effect. These readings are popularly "adjusted" until they too show a warming trend above the solar radiance and heat island trends. ALL temperature data is adjusted, then the original figures are replaced in the archive with the "adjusted" values. That was explained in detail with numerous examples in the links above, proving that you did not read them either, because you too have a closed mind on the topic of AGW, and exclude anytyhing that does not match your prejudice.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 14:22:35

Gavin has a compelling moving graph on his twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/ClimateOfGavin/stat ... 5196820480

"Global average monthly temperature distributions since the 19th Century"

(If anyone can figure out how to get it to show here, it would be much appreciated.)
User avatar
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge
 
Posts: 16459
Joined: Mon 05 Dec 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:09:31

Again, warming is the natural and expected temperature trend, in response to the basic Milanković theory. What is necessary to make your case is to demonstrate a warming trend on top of the natural warming, and to do so without cheating. That means no temperature readings adjusted upwards, no inconvenient data "lost" because it shows no warming, and no cherry-picking the observation sites that display warming.

Yet the climate scandals are unending - until now, when to get funding from the Feds, you have to be disproving warming. The sound of "scientists" flip-flopping is deafening. Perhaps scientists are human after all, and like to get paid.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 02:27:15

The supposed "troll" notes with amusement your juvenile behavior, which is evidence of a psychological disfunction known as "group think".

Note that we don't insist that everyone believe as we believe here, we value other viewpoints and the discussion of open issues like AGW.

I am a minority opinion holder, but that does not mean that the two of you should call me names or cast aspersions on my intelligence.

After all, AGW is a theory, and climate change a constant, and the world has been both colder and warmer in the past. You have your theory, and some people don't accept it.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 11:26:04

Again, I call foul, and politely ask that you fefrain from the ad hominem attacks on myself, and stick to the subject at hand.

Note also that my own posts were exactly on topic, and I have posted to the earlier parts of this thread many times, and nobody has ever proved to anybody's satisfaction that AGW/CC is anything more than a theory.

In fact, in earlier posts I made a challenge to anybody to present me with a working climate model, and the data to plug into it, and we would test it against actual past temperatures. Nobody responded to the challenge, and I believe none of you are climate scientists who are even qualified to have a valid opinion on this topic.

Note that I HAVE cranked through three such models, found all defective in the sense that they did not model actual temperatures correctly, and also that two additional models were defective/incomplete as published, and could not be used.

NO, I didn't do this by myself, I cooperated with a Phd Physicist from the nearby IBM Magnetics Laboratory. We had both volunteered to work at the High School our daughters attended together. The students and ourselves were shaken by the results. That was in 1995 and I have been a legitimate climate skeptic ever since.

Let me ask you, how many of you have actual personal knowledge that the many and assorted climate models are correct? Please name the model and explain how you came to that rather amazing conclusion.

Secondly, why are you SO VERY VERY CERTAIN that you are correct? Because such certainty seems very very unscientific. A litmus test would be if you read the blog posts above. If you did not do so, that would be a reliable indication that you have pre-judged such matters. Prejudice plays no part in objective scientific inquiry, I would note.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby chilyb » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 11:36:20

Hi KaiserJeep,

"Round Earth" is another theory, just like AGW:

https://www.livescience.com/24310-flat- ... elief.html

Have a great day!
chilyb
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue 02 Sep 2014, 21:35:20

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 19

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 12:18:57

chilyb wrote:Hi KaiserJeep,

"Round Earth" is another theory, just like AGW:

https://www.livescience.com/24310-flat- ... elief.html

Have a great day!


I personally think that flat earthers are fools, but I would not disparage your beliefs in such.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:16:32
Location: California's Silly Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Environment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests