Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

You are what You Eat

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby Cog » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 14:47:42

pstarr wrote:
Cog wrote:Bought some new jeans Saturday. I've gone from a size 42 waist to a 38 waist.

Is that your low-carb diet? Did you go with a strict Atkins?

Yes strict Atkins.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 25 Jun 2017, 15:58:57

Watch out for acidosis, which can lead to brain damage...oops...maybe already to late on that one :) :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 09:36:10

I'm going to eat my way to perfect health by way of hogs, cows, and chicken.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 17:28:57

Be careful of renal failure, too!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Mon 26 Jun 2017, 22:42:22

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 17:49:33

Cog wrote:I'm going to eat my way to perfect health by way of hogs, cows, and chicken.

In the 1920's this guy was very famous and also a big proponent of a meat diet.

VILHJALMUR STEFANSSON

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 19:15:46

http://www.sciencealert.com/yes-bacon-h ... re-for-you

Yes, Bacon Has Been Linked to Cancer AGAIN

For every 1.8 ounces (50 grams) of processed meat eaten per day, every day - the equivalent of one hot dog - the risk of cancers of the lower stomach … increases by 18 percent.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 22:12:45

So what does six pieces of bacon do for me? ;)

Bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers are the nearest thing to an erotic eating experience that I have had. Had six of them today. Keto friendly too.

Oh I almost forgot. Down 36 lbs.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: You Are What You Eat

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 10:22:08

Cog wrote:So what does six pieces of bacon do for me? ;)

Bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers are the nearest thing to an erotic eating experience that I have had. Had six of them today. Keto friendly too.

Oh I almost forgot. Down 36 lbs.

You should try Rumaki, chicken liver with a slice of water chestnut wrapped in bacon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/vale ... ki-3158495
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 14:47:25

And back state side:

Veganism Skyrockets by 600% In America Over 3 Years To 6% Of Population
The report also touched on German consumers, showing that 44 per cent of this group now follows a 'low meat' diet - another huge increase from 2014's stat of 26 per cent.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/veg ... population
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 15:25:03

Sucks to be them. :lol:

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 20:13:37

Yeah, bacon wants you....to die! :lol: :cry: :twisted:

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: You are what You Eat

Unread postby Cog » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 07:53:37

Happy 4th of July and thanks to all those who removed the jackboot of oppression of King George from neck of the Colonials.

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby longpig » Sat 15 Jul 2017, 21:48:51

" Children who eat hot dogs once a week actually double their risk of a brain tumor. Kids eating more than twelve hot dogs a month have nearly ten times the risk of leukemia as children who eat none."

http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v04n10.shtml
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
longpig
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 15 Jul 2017, 22:30:00

longpig wrote:" Children who eat hot dogs once a week actually double their risk of a brain tumor. Kids eating more than twelve hot dogs a month have nearly ten times the risk of leukemia as children who eat none."

First that article is from 2008. Secondly the population that has the highest hot dog consumption rates tend to be the poorest segment of the population. This means their socio-economic status is very different from people who eat fresh meat, fish and veggies every meal on the other end of the economic status spectrum.

Your economic status has a massive impact on your health with everything from how often you get a comprehensive medical exam to how many toxic chemicals you are exposed to due to your living conditions. Lower class housing has to be cheap, so it is often built in places nobody else wants to live. For example down wind of factories or quarries or cement plants that spew all sorts of toxic chemicals into the air. Just because the poor kids eat hot dogs and get cancer doesn't put the hot dogs at fault.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 16 Jul 2017, 00:47:43

Tanada wrote:
longpig wrote:" Children who eat hot dogs once a week actually double their risk of a brain tumor. Kids eating more than twelve hot dogs a month have nearly ten times the risk of leukemia as children who eat none."

Just because the poor kids eat hot dogs and get cancer doesn't put the hot dogs at fault.

Yup. Another big hole in our modern education system.

The post hoc fallacy strikes again. This is rivaled in frequency with the "cum hoc" fallacy, i.e. correlation is NOT causation.

Of course, if we can't have 99% of high school graduates able to do applied subtraction (make change), spell, use the correct word (even editors and professional reporters foul this up frequently in newspapers), or have enough science knowledge to reason out that the sun orbiting the earth is TOTAL nonsense (which about 25% of the US population can't reason out), expecting people to have a sense of logical fallacies is futile.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby longpig » Mon 17 Jul 2017, 00:38:27

The article was based on a study, i did look at the reference. It was hotdogs that was singled out as causing disease (along with low vitamin intake). Obviously being poor would have an effect on health but I doubt a poor child has 10 times as much risk of developing leukemia than a child who is well off. Tanada, if you want to believe that only poor people eat hotdogs and that poor people live in cheap housing down wind from factories don't visit doctors claiming the latter is the cause for poor health i disagree, hotdogs was singled out in the study and assumed cause was the nitrites and nitrosamines.

"The association between cured and broiled meat consumption by the mother during pregnancy and by the child was examined in relation to childhood cancer. Five meat groups (ham, bacon, or sausage; hot dogs; hamburgers; bologna, pastrami, corned beef, salami, or lunch meat; charcoal broiled foods) were assessed. Exposures among 234 cancer cases (including 56 acute lymphocytic leukemia [ALL], 45 brain tumor) and 206 controls selected by random-digit dialing in the Denver, Colorado (United States) standard metropolitan statistical area were compared, with adjustment for confounders. Maternal hot-dog consumption of one or more times per week was associated with childhood brain tumors (odds ratio [OR] = 2.3, 95 percent confidence interval [CI] = 1.0-5.4). Among children, eating hamburgers one or more times per week was associated with risk of ALL (OR = 2.0, CI = 0.9-4.6) and eating hot dogs one or more times per week was associated with brain tumors (OR = 2.1, CI = 0.7-6.1). Among children, the combination of no vitamins and eating meats was associated more strongly with both ALL and brain cancer than either no vitamins or meat consumption alone, producing ORs of two to seven. The results linking hot dogs and brain tumors (replicating an earlier study) and the apparent synergism between no vitamins and meat consumption suggest a possible adverse effect of dietary nitrites and nitrosamines."
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
longpig
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Medical Issues Forum