Happy crab, found a new home !!

Gas
The truth is sometimes incorrect
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 17 May 2017, 14:31:41

Gas, if you talk to deepsea fisherman around here, they will tell you the floating mats of plastic garbage are alive with sea life. Nice hiding places in the open ocean.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 17 May 2017, 14:46:12

Hawkcreek wrote:
Newfie wrote:Plastics!

Whats a line from "The Graduate" got to do with it? :-D

Just reminding Adam and others that oil is not just about fuel. Even if we do move off of fossils fuels we will still have a great need for fossil fuels for their other uses in packaging, fabrics, etc.

In other words......Plastics.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 17 May 2017, 16:51:03

I know.
All my ex-wives always told me that when I thought I was being funny, I wasn't.
Nobody ever gets my jokes. :(
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 17 May 2017, 20:41:37

Newfie - Actually when it comes oil it's not motor fuels vs plastics. The vast majority of each comes from separate portions of "distillation" process.

How much oil is used to make plastic?

"Although crude oil is a source of raw material (feedstock) for making plastics, it is not the major source of feedstock for plastics production in the United States. Plastics are produced from natural gas, feedstocks derived from natural gas processing, and feedstocks derived from crude oil refining. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) is unable to determine the specific amounts or origin of the feedstocks that are actually used to manufacture plastics in the United States.

"Petrochemical feedstock naphtha and other oils refined from crude oil are used as feedstock for petrochemical crackers that produce the basic building blocks for making plastics."

"The distillation process involves the separation of heavy crude oil into lighter groups called fractions. Each fraction is a mixture of hydrocarbon chains which differ in terms of the size and structure of their molecules. One of these fractions, naphtha, is the crucial element for the production of plastics.

Actually there are other end uses that complete with the plastics industry. IOW it ain't the drivers competing for that distillation fraction, naphtha:

"Some petroleum refineries also produce small amounts of specialty naphthas for use as solvents, cleaning fluids, paint and varnish diluents, asphalt diluents, rubber industry solvents, dry-cleaning, cigarette lighters, and portable camping stove and lantern fuels. Those specialty naphthas are subjected to various purification processes. On a much larger scale, petroleum naphtha is also used in the petrochemicals industry as feedstock to steam reformers and steam crackers for the production of hydrogen (which may be and is converted into ammonia for fertilizers), ethylene and other olefins. Natural gas is also used as feedstock to steam reformers and steam crackers."

There you go: more about making plastics then you ever wanted to know. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby efarmer » Wed 17 May 2017, 20:51:37

Hawkcreek, I know what you mean. I cracked up my wife when I was trying to be serious, and when I told jokes, she would stare like she could hear me it just wasn't registering. My Mom would howl when I told jokes, and I asked her why she "got" them when others did not. She said that ever since I was a child I would tell a joke and then howl at the end, and that every time she heard me howl like that it tapped some deep maternal connection and that made her laugh as well,but in truth, she said she almost never got my jokes, but I should keep trying, because it "is good for a person to laugh".
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Squilliam » Thu 18 May 2017, 18:09:42

I'm taking an anti-depressant for the purposes of smoking cessation (Zyban). It's amazing how it affects your perspective. It makes this place completely uninteresting. The ideas of peak oil, climate change, overshoot, depletion, arctic amplification etc mean nothing -- they don't worry me in the slightest.
To use a keyboard is to be at war.
Squilliam
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 18 May 2017, 18:23:04

Are those pills blue?

(THAT was a joke! :-D )
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 18 May 2017, 18:26:03

ROCKMAN,
Thanks for the explanation, I've not heard that before.

So here is my big question, what is kerosene and will it be around a long time? (I think it will because of jet turbines). I use it to cook with, but only a few gallons a year.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 May 2017, 16:15:02

On the way back from the lawyer's office, to settle my father's estate, I had an epiphany of a sort. I realized that I had the love of my wife and daughter and that is the only thing that truly mattered. Money, politics, who is right or wrong on the internet, can not hold a candle to love.
Last edited by Cog on Fri 19 May 2017, 16:21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 19 May 2017, 16:20:00

Cog wrote:On the way back from the lawyer's office, to settle my father's estate, I had an epiphany of a sort. I realized that I had the love of my wife and daughter and that is the only thing that truly mattered.

Thats a beautiful thought.

Thanks for posting that.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby joewp » Fri 19 May 2017, 19:58:11

Cog wrote:I've lost 21 pounds in 33 days with the Atkins diet. I'm very amazed by the results.

Is it not amazing? Glad you got results quickly. I'll bet you feel a lot better already, and just wait till you reach your goal weight!

Congratulations and good work!
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 19 May 2017, 20:07:10

Cog wrote:On the way back from the lawyer's office, to settle my father's estate, I had an epiphany of a sort. I realized that I had the love of my wife and daughter and that is the only thing that truly mattered. Money, politics, who is right or wrong on the internet, can not hold a candle to love.

Yes, right there, THAT is real wealth.

Good for you.

PS....ARs are still pee shooters! :badgrin:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 20 May 2017, 04:44:01

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I was born a gun owner. I didn't become one later in life. I was born this way.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Sat 20 May 2017, 11:30:40

Me too. Some of my happiest memories are from going out with my father to shoot jackrabbits, near Reno, Nevada . I had a 22 with a 19 round tubular magazine, and he used to call me Machine Gun Kelly. I eventually got good enough to hit those quick little speed demons on the run.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 20 May 2017, 11:36:11

Me also. First gun was a single shot open hammer 410.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 20 May 2017, 13:26:49

I shot a gopher yesterday with my Walther P22. :)

Found another new mound/hole in progress this morning . . . went back inside for half hour . . . and he had already backfilled it in. Little so-an-so b@stard. I'll get him :-x 8) :) lol
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 20 May 2017, 13:49:51

Not a gopher story but
Scientists Use Stem Cells To Create Functional Artificial Blood

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/b60d5c18-2 ... ls-to.html
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 21 May 2017, 07:21:26

Hawkcreek wrote:Me too. Some of my happiest memories are from going out with my father to shoot jackrabbits, near Reno, Nevada . I had a 22 with a 19 round tubular magazine, and he used to call me Machine Gun Kelly. I eventually got good enough to hit those quick little speed demons on the run.

Went pheasant hunting with my dad when I was a kid. My dad was this even keeled farmer stock that rarely got emotional. Once we flushed a pheasant from 2 feet away and my dad swung around and actually missed it with his shot gun and he was cursing himself for the next 45 minutes non stop. I can still remember clearly, a cold winter day. walking on the stubble of an old corn field along the edge of a forest, my dad so pissed off and mercilessly berating himself. It left an impression.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 May 2017, 09:08:52

Sounds like maybe he was channeling what his father would have been telling him after such a miss, perhaps?
dohboi
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Environment