Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Battery Technology Thread pt 3 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 6

Unread postby Squilliam » Sun 14 May 2017, 02:13:00

Sodium/lithium air has been talked up quite a bit. Various improvements to traditional Li (something) batteries in terms of cost/recharge/longevity are always in the works as well.

Lithium-air means using oxygen as the oxidiser, rather than a material. The result is batteries that can be a fifth of the price and a fifth as light as lithium-ion, plus they could make phones and cars last five times longer.

The new discovering was made at Dallas University and should help push developments in lithium-air forward. Of course, like a all research, this could still be five to ten years away from becoming a reality.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130380- ... er-the-air

If it actually works... And it was 5-10 years away about 5 years ago. It's what happens when the media focuses on the 'idea' side of things rather than the boring 'production' side of things. There are always more ideas than there are practical ways of implementing them.
To use a keyboard is to be at war.
Squilliam
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: THE Battery Technology Thread pt 3 (merged)

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 18 May 2017, 12:48:26

Interesting lecture on Lithium Sulfur batteries, the next great leap forward.

https://youtu.be/UB8epvEIdH8
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fission
Fission

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 6

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 18 May 2017, 14:04:35

eclipse wrote:What's the next big battery going to be? Anyone following trends?

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/good ... technology
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby efarmer » Mon 22 May 2017, 09:50:23

It would seem as a casual observer that Prof. Goodenough and his team in Texas and
Prof. Martin in Iowa, with his vast backround and Ames Research cred, and all others
in the US with similar moxie and track record actually get some DOE serious funding on
glass electrolyte, solid state, sodium battery technology. DARPA belongs right in there
as well. A new battery that uses copper and sodium and glass promises to be the next
big step AFTER li-on, and should be a clear cut national objective. I understand that
the market impact on the emergent EV industry of a better cell could be damaging
in it's infancy right now, but the knowledge of a better and less expensive cell on
the horizon, with a probable 10 year timeline to entering the market would be
a huge stimulus. Does anyone know of a physics flaw in this cell that has these
folks not funded?
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 22 May 2017, 12:31:43

The problems with all of the technologies you mention and many others is that something that shows promise in a laboratory at small scale may never become economical or even competitive with current technologies. Materials research, manufacturing engineering, and product design are hurdles that every promising tech has to go over before it even exists. Then marketing and mass production represent two more hurdles. Then even when in production, there is the danger represented by other techs also in development.

Out of 32 current Lithium battery manufacturers (Litium-Ion, Lithium-Iron Phosphate, and Lithium-Polymer), 8 are in production, 6 are not yet in production, and 18 have gone bankrupt or have stopped production. Lithium is a "relatively mature" tech, and was "disruptive" of lead-acid tech in it's day - 22 years ago.

The fanciful blurbs and press releases you read are geared at either securing government grants for R&D, or investment money for production. The solar industry suffers the same effect, I weary of all the new "solar tech" within five miles of my Silicon Valley home, all ever-so-promising, none in production.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 23 May 2017, 15:35:27

Agreed KJ, these things are often grant and funding fishing lures.
But the talent is stellar and proven. And Goodenough has been immersed
in lithium ion tech for decades and a large force in it's development.
He seems a high prospect to pilot and pick the talent to bring solid state
sodium cells to commercial reality.
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology