Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 17 Apr 2017, 12:53:19

jedrider wrote:A Crucial Climate Mystery Is Just Under Our Feet

Ahttp://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/04/crucial-climate-mystery-just-under-our-feett

That said, Silver thought Sanderman's conclusions made sense: Grow more stuff, and you get more carbon left behind in the soil. Rattan Lal, director of the Carbon Management and Sequestration Center at Ohio State, also gave the study his seal of approval.

The implications are huge. The study suggests we can slow climate change simply by feeding people. But there's a gap between discovering something and putting it to use.

That sounded very happy to me, though it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Agriculture, in general is a good way of sequestering carbon IF we grow stuff WITHOUT feeding people IMO. Still, an upbeat article.

It kinda does to me. Stuff grows better when it has plenty of organic stuff mixed in the soil. If you continually add compost to your garden, it goes happy.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 17 Apr 2017, 14:39:30

https://www.axios.com/corporate-america ... 77108.html

Corporate America isn't backing Trump on climate

Corporate America is uniting on climate change

Consumer brands and industrial giants have been supporting government action on climate change for years. In a shift that is changing the debate, the biggest and most important U.S. energy companies are now dropping their resistance to a global climate deal.

Why it matters: Broader corporate backing of global action on climate change is helping push President Trump away from his campaign promise to pull out of the climate deal, which was struck by nearly 200 nations in Paris two years ago to slow the growth of global greenhouse gas emissions. ...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 06:08:56

dohboi wrote:https://www.axios.com/corporate-america-isnt-backing-trump-on-climate-2353777108.html

Corporate America isn't backing Trump on climate

Corporate America is uniting on climate change

Consumer brands and industrial giants have been supporting government action on climate change for years. In a shift that is changing the debate, the biggest and most important U.S. energy companies are now dropping their resistance to a global climate deal.

Why it matters: Broader corporate backing of global action on climate change is helping push President Trump away from his campaign promise to pull out of the climate deal, which was struck by nearly 200 nations in Paris two years ago to slow the growth of global greenhouse gas emissions. ...

This IMO is a kind of puff piece. The corporate decisions cited are all based on PR and political maneuvering, which are no doubt important factors. However political landscape in both the USA and Europe is in the middle of a paradigm shift as evidenced by Brexit, the fact that we have President trump in office, and the way elections all across individual EU nations are trending. PR on the other hand still has the 'mass consumer product' companies like Starbucks and Coca-cola posturing to appeal to the Millenial Generation who believe in AGW because that is the message they have been given in school for the last two decades.

On the other side of your corporate divide you have the big energy producers and energy consumers like fossil fuel companies and electric utilities. Every electric utility wants to use the cheapest supply they can get to maximize profits when they sell that electricity to the end consumers. For the last 20 years Wind and Solar have received massive subsidies during the same period when Fracking made natural gas very cheap in places that are on existing natural gas pipelines, or located where those pipelines can be extended without a lot of NIMBY headaches.

With the current Congress and current President the politics of energy in the USA is changing on a large scale. Wind and solar subsidies are not being renewed. Coal disincentives are being removed. Fracking east of the Appalachian mountains is a local matter in almost all respects because there is relatively little federal land in those states. There are also massive NIMBY issues when it comes to expanding Natural Gas main pipelines and distribution networks, especially in New England. Add in that short sighted political forces in the Northeast have managed to close several perfectly viable nuclear power plants in the last 5 years that could have been used for another 20 years or longer to provide low carbon electricity. Solar does not preform well in the northeast, and nearly every wind project has been stymied by the forces of NIMBY.

Add all these many factors together and what do you get? Gas remains expensive on the eastern seaboard, the climate does not suit solar very well and wind is NIMBY'd to death. Uneducated politicians and voters have chased out half the low carbon baseload power in the form of fission. Coal is still cheap as dirt when hauled by bulk freighter across the Great Lakes or on mile long unit trains from powder river basin mines with abundant low sulfur coal. That same cheap low sulfur coal is no longer being talked down and roadblocked every moment of the day by the government. Take all these factors together and cheap coal for baseload electricity, especially in the Northeast where all alternatives are more expensive or hated even more (fission) by the politicians and poorly educated voters, is the financially exciting choice for the next 8-16 years. If I had money to invest that is the way I would go because if you take AGW out of the picture coal remains the cheapest and in many cases most convenient source of baseload electricity.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 08:09:49

I've lost 21 pounds in 33 days with the Atkins diet. I'm very amazed by the results.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:00:11

Tanada wrote:Add all these many factors together and what do you get? Gas remains expensive on the eastern seaboard, the climate does not suit solar very well and wind is NIMBY'd to death. Uneducated politicians and voters have chased out half the low carbon baseload power in the form of fission. Coal is still cheap as dirt when hauled by bulk freighter across the Great Lakes or on mile long unit trains from powder river basin mines with abundant low sulfur coal. That same cheap low sulfur coal is no longer being talked down and roadblocked every moment of the day by the government. Take all these factors together and cheap coal for baseload electricity, especially in the Northeast where all alternatives are more expensive or hated even more (fission) by the politicians and poorly educated voters, is the financially exciting choice for the next 8-16 years. If I had money to invest that is the way I would go because if you take AGW out of the picture coal remains the cheapest and in many cases most convenient source of baseload electricity.

I don't see much happy in this post.
On the other side - my turkeys now know me well enough to get within 5 feet when I am out walking. It probably helps that sometimes when I walk, I throw corn down behind me.
I have a fine herd this year.
Forgot to mention that yesterday I saw a good looking yearling moose when I was walking.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:17:18

Here's a happy story: Research shows global photosynthesis on the rise
April 5, 2017
They sampled ice cores, which contain increased carbonyl sulfide since the industrial age. Carbonyl sulfide can only enter the atmosphere from plant photosynthesis.

Excess CO2 results in additional plant growth (they use it to grow marijuana in Humboldt). A previous report last year (in the same science journal Nature) reported that deserts everywhere have been greening since 1972 (when we started mapping the planet from space) as CO2 emissions rise. The new study goes back 200 years. Additional evidence that Gaia loves us :) She/he loves all his/her chillun' lol
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 11:56:36

Cog wrote:I've lost 21 pounds in 33 days with the Atkins diet. I'm very amazed by the results.

Watch outvfor the rebound effect. Oops hope that is happy talk
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 12:16:52

Cog wrote:I've lost 21 pounds in 33 days with the Atkins diet. I'm very amazed by the results.

That is great. I live on a low carb diet, which seems to totally eliminate my afib. I think a low carb diet is a great help in keeping blood sugar levels in line, which in my opinion, is one of the major causes of afib. Eliminating a six pack (or two) of beer every day may have helped also :) .
I do try to include complex carbs though. Lots of greens and stuff.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 14:41:18

onlooker wrote:

Watch outvfor the rebound effect. Oops hope that is happy talk

That is the problems with most diets. They drop weight but if you go back to the same habits, you gain it all back. Atkins should probably be described not as a diet but more of a complete change in how and what you eat. Its a lifetime deal.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 18:47:22

Natural gas has contributed to the US improving CO2 emissions profile, and it makes me happy that this expected to continue! Between that and ever more EVs on the roads, I say we all need to be green!

EIA expects natural gas to be largest source of U.S. electricity generation this summer

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 15:18:41

It seems to still be up in the air whether a switch to NatGas is a net good thing or not. We keep hearing that it's global warming potential is higher than previously thought, and there are so many leaks in delivery systems and in mining practices...

On high protein diet issues, you also have to watch out for kidney problems, including kidney stones, osteoporosis issues, and of course ketosis, with symptoms including:

• breath that smells fruity or like nail polish or nail polish remover.
• rapid breathing or shortness of breath.
• excessive thirst.
• frequent urination.
• stomach pain.
• nausea, vomiting.
• fatigue, weakness.
• confusion.

That last one might keep you from recognizing the others for what they are, I would think (and may explain the confusion that seems to be often operating in the brains of some of my colleagues here!! :-D :-D )

Of course, if you get your protein from meat, and especially from red and from processed meat, you are opening yourselves up to a whole other slew of possibly lethal health risks--various cancers, heart disease, diabetes, food-born pathogens, possibly erectile dysfunction, hormone disruption, immunity to antibiotics... most of which, like the above, are likely to creep up on you and be far advanced before you realize you have them or what is causing them.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/137865- ... en-chicken

I do appreciate people policing the site to keep messages 'happy.' I didn't intend that no one should ever correct anybodies post, if the correction is less than cheery. But to keep in the spirit of the thing, let's do try to add some 'sugar' to any such 'vinegar' that crops up here, and to follow my own rule, let me point to this new post by rs:

https://robertscribbler.com/2017/04/19/ ... ent-113118

Renewable Energy Technology is Now Powerful Enough to Significantly Soften the Climate Crisis
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 15:59:45

dohboi wrote:let me point to this new post by rs:
https://robertscribbler.com/2017/04/19/ ... ent-113118
Renewable Energy Technology is Now Powerful Enough to Significantly Soften the Climate Crisis

That is happy news. When I see headlines about California getting 29% of its power from renewables, and Texas 25%, it make me think that we are making some serious changes. Probably slower than some want, but still appreciable in size.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 16:09:23

And then there's:

...this year solar capacity will overtake coal for the first time in Western Europe...

At least another 4.3 gigawatts [of coal-based generation] will be closed, placed on standby or converted to natural gas this year...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ne-thought
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 19:17:56

Excellent! I did it for about 2 weeks, could see the results as well, but DAMN did I get weird moody about it. The doctors opinion was that I had overdone it, and needed to put more carbs back in, a little more at each meal. And then didn't work so well because once a little non-complex carb went into my mouth, I wanted more, and couldn't get the grams dialed back afterwards. But I was surprised during my 2 weeks at how some fatty parts just seemed to melt away.

The question from the doctors angle was what was going to happen to the kidneys as a result.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 20:20:50

There's a more moderate '17 day' plan that starts you off pretty strict then modulates, with the final 'stage' being going back and forth between 'carb fasts' for a day or two iirc and then allowing some carbs. The idea is to keep the body a bit off balance so it doesn't settle in to one regimen or the other. But most people want one fixed diet to stay on (or more often to fail to stay on).

I'm not particularly concerned with what shape my body is in, as long as it can do the things I need it to. To old to be vain about the thing anymore.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 22:32:00

AdamB wrote:

Excellent! I did it for about 2 weeks, could see the results as well, but DAMN did I get weird moody about it. The doctors opinion was that I had overdone it, and needed to put more carbs back in, a little more at each meal. And then didn't work so well because once a little non-complex carb went into my mouth, I wanted more, and couldn't get the grams dialed back afterwards. But I was surprised during my 2 weeks at how some fatty parts just seemed to melt away.

The question from the doctors angle was what was going to happen to the kidneys as a result.

What doctors have managed to achieve with their carb heavy diet pyramid is to create legions of obese people with the attendant Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, strained joints, and heart disease. All of which they can prescribe a pill for the symptoms.

Our bodies did not evolve eating carbs daily until they were satiated. We were designed to eat meat and live on our body fat when we couldn't find any critters to eat. High fat and high protein diets take advantage of the body's design to use fat as a fuel instead of carbs/sugars. As a result, when we drop weight, we moderate our blood pressure, blood sugar, and change our cholesterol levels to something approaching normality.

Just from personal observation, my energy level is pretty constant all day long. No spikes in energy or mood. The "keto flu" you are referring to, feeling moody, went away in a few days.

But there is no magic in a keto diet. You still end up eating less calories than your body needs to maintain weight and therefore you lose weight. It is simply easier to do since you aren't hungry all the time like you are on a purely calorie restricted diet.

I don't do fads and wouldn't be following this way of eating unless there was science behind it. Plus it works.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 04:01:37

Yesterday while using my new Stihl chainsaw to trim up an out of control hedge, I tripped and fell on the previously cut down limbs. I did not damage the saw and other than a bruise on my upper arm, no ghastly tears into my body nor any pokes with sharp sticks occurred. I'm pretty happy about that.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 05:44:49

I hope this qualifies as good news
https://www.wsj.com/articles/imf-boosts ... 1492520402
IMF Boosts Global Growth Forecast to 3.5% Despite Geopolitical Angst
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 06:47:31

I meant it a little tongue and cheek, your absolutely right D, yet you ask a person on the street and they will say its good news
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 07:26:24

https://www.yahoo.com/news/look-giant-a ... 13189.html
Look Out for a Giant Asteroid Passing Very Close to Earth in Tonight's Sky

It missed us! Hip Hip hooray :-D
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment