Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Strange weather 2017

Re: Strange weather 2017

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 12 Mar 2017, 08:31:37

Well, we have a big N.Easter storm coming for Tuesday, 1 to 1 and half feet snow forecast. Nothing strange. Strange has been how mild the winter had been thus far
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 14:29:56

Yeah, hold on to your hats...and your snowpants!

We’re not just getting freak weather anymore. We’re getting freak seasons.

No, Big Snowstorms Like This Aren't Normal

http://grist.org/science/no-big-snowsto ... nt-normal/

This Week’s Blizzard Will Be One of the Biggest on Record

Meteorologists are running out of words to describe the late-season snowstorm expected to bring more than a foot of snow and winds stronger than a tropical storm.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ecord.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 14:37:22

Yeah D, it looks like it will be a WHOPPER . They are saying now 18 to 24 inches!
“"If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money"”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 15:12:01

That's likely to collapse a lot of roofs, those that didn't already collapse in the last snow-pocalypse, that is. And many other negative side effects as well.

What are people there talking about/ worried about?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 15:27:37

Well, power outages seem most dangerous and likely considering how much snow and the level of wind. As for whose most at danger not necessarily in this order: homeless, idiots and greedy people in the stock market haha
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GregT » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 16:02:46

We normally receive two to four snowfalls every winter. They seldom amount to more than a couple of inches each, and usually melt within one or two days. This year, by my measurements in the back yard, we have received a total of 204cm, or 80 inches. There has been snow on the ground here since the end of November, and we still have ~12 inches left on the level.

This is nothing even remotely resembling normal for around these parts.
GregT
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 19:33:29

"This year, by my measurements in the back yard, we have received a total of 204cm, or 80 inches. There has been snow on the ground here since the end of November, and we still have ~12 inches left on the level."

Sounds like Vermont when I was a kid (that was "awhile" ago). This year in eastern Virginia has been a little strange. Usually by this date I would be starting a few things in the garden. If I wanted to do that his year I'd have to dynamite it. That proclivity comes from being in the mining business most of your life. BOOM was an ever present occurrence. You get used to to. :cry: :cry:
shortonoil
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 21:46:30

We have gotten a bit over 4 inches so far in this storm, the first 3.5 melted as it hit the driveway and drained away. On the wooden deck benches however the depth is actually quite impressive for a mid March snow storm. Nothing unprecedented mind you, just a heavy depth for this time of year all in one storm.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 21:51:33

onlooker wrote:Well, power outages seem most dangerous and likely considering how much snow and the level of wind. As for whose most at danger not necessarily in this order: homeless, idiots and greedy people in the stock market haha

Turn the machines back on!!
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 14 Mar 2017, 01:31:52

Cog wrote:
onlooker wrote:Well, power outages seem most dangerous and likely considering how much snow and the level of wind. As for whose most at danger not necessarily in this order: homeless, idiots and greedy people in the stock market haha

Turn the machines back on!!

Well come hell or high water profits must be made
"The United Nations headquarters said it would close on Tuesday, but the New York Stock Exchange vowed to remain open."
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 12:58:18

I just finished shoveling off the deck after this latest storm. I measured twenty inches in the drive yesterday morning and another two sifted in last night. Plowed everything three times in three days but am pretty much cleaned up now. Another five gallons of diesel put to good use. I had to pull out one of the neighbors when he drove his Kubota with snowblower off an edge he couldn't see. It's his first full winter and he doesn't have all the rocks and pitfalls memorized as of yet. :roll:
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:19:32

So anything strange about this latest N.Easter, or just weather being weather ?
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 15:34:34

onlooker wrote:So anything strange about this latest N.Easter, or just weather being weather ?
No it was a good size storm but nothing I haven't seen before. There was one in march 1968 IIRC where it took the town crew three days to plow us out with a bulldozer because sections of road were drifted bank to bank six feet deep.
The town has larger trucks in use today and they came through twice during the storm.
I did have to drop back to forth gear to plow up the hill as I was pushing a full blade. I usually can run up the steepest part in fifth and the flatter areas in sixth on a nine speed transmission. I've had this tractor plow setup for five winters now and this was not the worst storm in those five years.
This what the worst in five years looked like.
The neighbor got stuck today just in front and a bit too the left.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 15:42:04

Looks like a good foot and half or two. Yes nothing really odd. But if it begins happening in April on a regular basis , I may have to become an Ice Age convert haha
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 16:15:36

onlooker wrote:Looks like a good foot and half or two. Yes nothing really odd. But if it begins happening in April on a regular basis , I may have to become an Ice Age convert haha
Those snow banks were three feet high so that drift right in front of me on the right was from four to five feet thick. Also drifted snow has had the lacy structure of the snowflakes as they fell broken down into smaller granules and is much denser per cubic foot then new fallen snow. I moved through that drift in one pass but when I took the picture I wasn't at all sure of how much trouble it would be.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 18 Mar 2017, 16:52:37

Half of Washington's cherry blossoms dead after cold snap

This week's bitter cold snap killed about half of Washington's beloved cherry blossoms, and the survivors are now expected to peak at the end of next week, the National Parks Service said Friday.

Freezing temperatures that had abruptly followed unseasonably warm weather had the nation's capital fearful for its more than 3,000 prized Japanese cherry trees, a major tourist draw.

The mercury dip to about 23 degrees Fahrenheit (-5 degrees Celsius) "killed virtually all of the blossoms that had reached 'puffy white'"—the late stages of the bloom cycle—NPS spokesman Mike Litterst said in a statement.

He had told AFP earlier this week that the damage would begin when the temperature dropped to about 27 degrees Fahrenheit (-2.5 degrees Celsius).

Litterst said the other half of the cherry blossoms were at earlier stages in the bloom process, and just five percent of those appeared to be damaged.

"Peak bloom"—the time when 70 percent of the Yoshino trees are in full flower—around Washington's Tidal Basin is now difficult to predict because the death of so many blossoms has distorted NPS models.

New tool gives apple farms hope in fight against spring freezes

The Apple Freeze Risk tool shows minimum temperatures for the most recent 30 days, provides a 6-day temperature forecast and shows the current stage of development in tree varieties. Apple trees are currently dormant, and only a sustained period of 25 below zero temperatures can damage this season's crop. But as days warm, the buds' tolerance for freezing lessens.

"The benefit of this tool is that a farmer can access information about a specific location anywhere in the Northeast, and can get detail to within a 2.5-mile grid of their orchard," said Allison Chatrchyan, director of the Cornell Institute for Climate Smart Solutions. The institute established the Cornell Climate Smart Farming (CSF) program, which is developing tools to support individualized, real-time and data-driven management, through what's known as "Digital Agriculture".

"With climate change already occurring, our winters are getting warmer, and farmers are asking us for specific tools and information about what they can do to reduce the risks on their farm, including from freezes," Chatrchyan said. "The apple tool was built based on stakeholder input, and with the help of our NYS CSF Extension Team, which is training farmers about climate risk and adaptation."
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sat 22 Apr 2017, 11:22:19

UK to face sub-zero temperatures and arctic weather in run up to next month

"Temperatures will be around 2 to 5 degrees below normal for the time of year over the UK and 4 to 7 degrees below normal for northern mainland Europe.

"Heavy snow and blizzard conditions will affect northern Scotland, with snow showers affecting much of the eastern coast of Britain early next week as well as parts of the west coast exposed to the northerly winds

The arctic weather comes just a fortnight (2 weeks) after the country bathed in highs of 25.5C during the hottest day of the year so far on April 9, although thermometers have only reached 18.3C in the days following.

We will see the first of this icy weather this weekend, as overnight temperatures will begin to plunge before the low pressure system moves in Monday.

Cold snap threatens French vines

A late spring frost that hit French vineyards is threatening the harvest in Champagne and Burgundy, winegrowers warn.

"It's really tricky because the frost hit when the grapes were just forming," FNSEA spokesman Jerome Despey told AFP, saying the fruit could wither on the vine.

The cold snap with temperatures as low as minus six degrees Celsius (21.2 degrees Fahrenheit) has also affected vineyards in the Loire Valley and Languedoc-Roussillon in the deep south, Despey said.

Burgundy, home to popular Chablis wines, saw a similar freeze last year.

The cold snap will also hurt the harvest in the eastern Jura region, famed for its sherry-like vin jaune (yellow wine), Jean-Charles Tissot, chairman of the local wine marketing council, told AFP.

"The damage could reach 40 to 50 percent" of the harvest, he said.

‘Fatal’ frost hits Champagne vineyards

Champagne makers fear that they have again lost a significant amount of their potential grape harvest after plunging temperatures caused severe late-spring frosts in France's premier sparkling wine region, as well as in other vineyard areas of the country.

- Frost fears across France after sudden drop in temperatures after bud-break
- Champagne vineyard managers report losses of more than 20% in some areas and 50% in others
- Growers face pressure after ‘fatal’ frost in late April for second year in a row

This means that local growers could face intense financial pressure, because as overall reserves in the region are at all-time low.

Olivier Horiot, a winemaker in Les Riceys, estimated that 40 to 50% of the potential 2017 harvest in the region has been wiped out.

‘Last night, temperatures dropped to -6 degrees celsius in some places, and they remained this low for most of the night. This combination of prolonged severe frosts is fatal for the young buds.’
‘We lost just about all of our Chardonnay last night, and had big losses in our Pinot Noir vineyards as well. Our first impressions are a potential loss of 70%, which is more than we suffered in 2003.’

Frédéric Minière, who is based in Hermonville, also reported losses up to 80% in his Chardonnay vineyards.

Temperatures again dipped below freezing on Thursday night (20 April).

Reindeer at risk from Arctic hot spell
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 01 May 2017, 03:54:36

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/s ... 19996.html

Severe storms kill at least seven in southern US
Tornadoes and flooding kill at least seven as dangerous weather hammered the southern United States.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 01 May 2017, 04:07:11

Just a heads up to becoming dehydrated. A friend of the family just died recently from apparently dehydration. In Texas. He was in late 70's. Wonder how hot it has been there recently?
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 01 May 2017, 04:20:24

Sorry about your loss, ol. But I think we are going to see more and more of this kind of thing. People are going to be seeing heat levels that they aren't used to, and they don't have experience dealing with. I was in Paris in the summer of 2003 when tens of thousands died of heat stress, mostly the elderly. No one thought it would ever get quite that hot in Northern Europe.

Meanwhile, there seems to be lots of water in Missouri right now!

Relentless rain swamps Missouri as Greitens declares state of emergency

www.kansascity.com/weather/article147706054.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate