Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Strange weather 2017

Strange weather 2017

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 03:14:57

Finland's warmest place currently is Kilpisjarvi lake, which is in the northernmost place in Lapland, +4.7C. Temperature anomaly is somewhere from +10C to +20C.
Link in Finnish -yle
Tuike
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Strange weather 2017

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 13:39:22

Today: 64°F (18°C) - Sunny
Tomorrow: 15°F (-9°C) - 8-12 inches of snow
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 09 Feb 2017, 16:45:07

Yesterday low was -29.5 C (-21 F) by Wednesday is expected to be +17 C (62.6 F). May seem strange to some but this is very typical of winter temperature swings in Alberta. I distinctly remember one day when I was quite young that it was ~ -40 C (with the windchill) when I woke up and by mid afternoon the chinook had driven the air temperature to plus 10 C. I think the record was set in the forties with temperatures rising 40 degrees C in a couple of hours. There is a famous drawing made by one of the early pioneers out here of a horse dangling from the steeple of a church...the joke being someone tied their horse to a post and went into the church when he came out of the church after the chinook came through they found out it was the top of the church steeple and all the snow had been melted leaving the horse dangling.
Imagine how strange such normal weather would seem to someone from Syria.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Feb 2017, 06:20:10

http://gizmodo.com/gigantic-bats-die-up ... 1792269548
Gigantic Bats Are Dying Upside Down, Making Australia's Heatwave Look Like a Horror Movie

Freakish!
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 28 Feb 2017, 13:09:25

These maps show how early spring is arriving in your state this year

The US Geological Survey has a neat set of maps, updated daily, showing how early spring has arrived in each state this year — an index based on plant events, like leaves appearing on trees and flowers blooming. In a swath of the country from San Antonio to New York City, spring arrived two to three weeks earlier than usual. In Washington, DC, spring arrived 22 days early:

https://www.usanpn.org/data/spring
https://www.usanpn.org/data/agdd_maps
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 04:13:09

Supposed to go up to 70 today then down to the 30's Friday here in NY ,VERY weird
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:06:53

Spring has arrived in our area (Southern Appalachians) much earlier than 20 days. Many plants are thinking it is late March or early April, and I fear a return of heavy frost will do a lot of damage to trees and plants already stressed by last year's drought. Few lows below freezing in Feb. this year. Most years see few lows above freezing. Highs frequently in the 60's and 70's this year. At least I'm saving on firewood.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:51:44

Very warm February in Southern Illinois. Blooms are out on trees. Good setup for a hard freeze and loss of apple and peach tree crops. I do remember when I worked outside waiting for April to get a warm-up so I could stop being cold. That has changed this year.

Oh and the damn grass is growing. I can usually wait until late March to start mowing. If trends continue I'll be mowing again in a week.
Cog
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 16:14:03

GHung, if you replace freezing with 0 F, we have the same thing here in MN.

Meanwhile:

For the first time in recorded history (back 146 years), Chicago has had no measurable snowfall in the months of January and February.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog/fo ... ary-022817
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 16:25:17

Still waiting for the polar vortex which was forecast to really intrude into the US in March. Maybe, that vortex will not be as cold as usual haha
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 16:31:28

Things are...strange...in the Southern Hemisphere as well. I can't help but feel as though we really turned some major climatic corner this year.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffM ... -threat-in

Cyclones missing in action in the global south this year
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 16:40:40

dohboi wrote:Things are...strange...in the Southern Hemisphere as well. I can't help but feel as though we really turned some major climatic corner this year.

https://www.wunderground.com/blo years g/JeffMasters/glacial-pace-for-southern-hemisphere-cyclone-season-tornado-threat-in

Cyclones missing in action in the global south this year

Yes, the last couple of years is featuring truly bizarre weather around the world. Could the Arctic have anything to do with it?
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 17:24:24

Cherry blossom peak bloom this year could be the earliest on record

Organizers of the National Cherry Blossom Festival announced Wednesday that the blossoms are expected to hit peak bloom between March 14 and March 17. As a result of the early bloom, the month-long festival will begin March 15, five days earlier than planned. The festival will run through April 16.

The earliest peak bloom in the city is March 15, recorded in 1990, according to National Park Service records. In 2014 and 2015, peak bloom occurred April 10 — the latest the city had seen in a decade.

“Peak bloom” refers to the point when 70 percent of the cherry blossoms along the Tidal Basin are in bloom. The blossoms last year hit their peak on March 25, several days ahead of the average date of April 1. The latest peak bloom occurred April 18, 1958.

If the cherry blossoms bloom as predicted, most will not make it through the duration of the annual festival.

vox_mundi
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 06:39:13

We are having the driest wet season ever.
Im usually out whipper snipping the lawn and weeds as they take of real fast with a bit of rain.
THis year the lawn is brown and crumbly no green anywhere.
I never have to water the trees or veggies in the wet season and my tanks are usually overflowing.
This year Im watering nearly every day and all the tanks are only about half full.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 11:03:57

The early warmth makes fruit growers tremble

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... it-growers
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 02 Mar 2017, 17:09:17

OMG, It is really getting freakish!
Blizzard warning issued in Hawaii
http://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/B ... 969227.php
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 03 Mar 2017, 12:31:36

onlooker wrote:OMG, It is really getting freakish!
Blizzard warning issued in Hawaii
http://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/B ... 969227.php

Clearly the author and yourself have both forgotten that Hawaii has some pretty substantial mountains. The reason they measure CO2 and have all those telescopes there is because high mountains are cold and clear air, which means if some moisture gets pushed up hill by the wind patterns you get snow.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby rdberg1957 » Fri 03 Mar 2017, 15:30:41

Unusual weather is common. I remember an 86 degree day in early April 1965 in Minnesota. Unusual. What has changed is that the unusual weather is almost exclusively in the warmer direction. In the 1970's there were record lows in January, it was a mix of extremes. This winter, there have been several extended periods of warm weather, record warm weather. 60's in February in MN for several days. We are getting similar weather this weekend, a little less unusual for this time of year. But the cold weather we had this year felt very cold, but it was just average for MN for the time of year. The concerns I have are for plants and animals who have biological clocks which are tuned to temperature. We are at the beginning of the upturn in heat and climate change. I don't want to know what 2-5 degrees of additional warming looks like.
rdberg1957
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 04 Mar 2017, 12:31:26

rdb, good points about the mismatch of few new record lows and lots of new record highs.

The other new pattern that is striking to me that I don't remember seeing in my MN youth is long stretches of unseasonably warm weather in the middle of winter. It was not unusual at all, almost expected, in the '70s that there would be a 'January' thaw...which basically meant that temperatures got noticeably above freezing for a day or two.

This 'winter' we had whole ten day periods when the temperature never got below freezing, punctuated in one case be a very summer like thunderstorm--I don't remember having any of those in the middle of winter in my youth.

We've basically moved to St. Louis or thereabouts, with occasional excursions into real (old normal) MN weather.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Mar 2017, 22:33:39

Tornado Confirmed Near Zimmerman; Earliest Tornado In Minn. History

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/03/0 ... oes-march/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Next

Return to Environment