Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Houston, We Have A Problem--Floods Shut It Down

Re: Houston, We Have A Problem--Floods Shut It Down

Unread postby Cog » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 06:07:45

Lot of chemical factories all the way down to the Gulf from Houston. You get used to the smell.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 15:12:22

I live across the highway from the second largest oil refinery in the western hemisphere and I never smell nuthin'. OTOH my farts don't stink either. :P
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Feb 2017, 17:16:39

We kept our boats near the Delaware City Refinery. I never noticed a lot of smell but their extensive grounds made a nice nature preserve. Here's of deer and three bald eagle nests.

OTOH insane blSted and painted my boat only to have the paint fail repeatedly. The paint factory reps keep telling me the problem MUST be salts on the surface causing osmaitc blistering. I mean the first time it failed BEFOR THE BOAT HIT THE WATER.

I have remanded and repainted parts of that bottom multiple times. Then it finally hit me. I NEVER had this problem in Newfoundland. Maybe the salts were in the air from the refinery.

We will see if the problem repeats next year as I rewarded and repainted a big patch again this year.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 00:43:26

Newfie - When things do bad at a plant they can go very bady: about 10 years ago there was a hydrofluoric gas leak. Imagine how that worked on car paint jobs.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 08:37:58

ROCKMAN wrote:Newfie - When things do bad at a plant they can go very bady: about 10 years ago there was a hydrofluoric gas leak. Imagine how that worked on car paint jobs.

YIKES! Forget the paint that stuff eats glass, just think what a wiff does to your sensitive lung tissue!
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:10:13

Exactly Tanada, exactly!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 10:10:21

T - " just think what a wiff does to your sensitive lung tissue!". No worries: officials told the public to just "shelter in place". LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:45:32

ROCKMAN wrote:I live across the highway from the second largest oil refinery in the western hemisphere and I never smell nuthin'. OTOH my farts don't stink either. :P

To be fair, it used to be MUCH worse; now a drive in to Houston from the sticks really isn't all that bad air wise; still often noticeable towards Pasadena.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Environment