Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 14

Re: Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 14

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 15:39:34

kiwichick wrote:weather related disasters incease 6 fold since the 1950's

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... anage-risk

Is that a measure of severity or history? Back in the 1950 there were 2 billion humans on the planet. Folks didn't live in flood plains, on unstable hillsides, or the hottest desert regions. Giant south pacific cyclones and African droughts hardly counted or reported. Weather forecasting was crude, as was journalism.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 16:06:13

pbrain wrote:Cid, you have a lot of nerve even posting on this thread. Your predictions stink.

HA! I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

You do realize you have no credibility whatsoever on this website. Making such a statement just gave everyone a good laugh.

Now you can pretend that whatever you say carries some weight outside of your bros, KJ, Subjectivist, C8, Cog and maybe Tanada, but it doesn't.

You're just preaching to the choir.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 16:12:47

pstarr wrote:
kiwichick wrote:weather related disasters incease 6 fold since the 1950's

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... anage-risk

Is that a measure of severity or history? Back in the 1950 there were 2 billion humans on the planet. Folks didn't live in flood plains, on unstable hillsides, or the hottest desert regions. Giant south pacific cyclones and African droughts hardly counted or reported. Weather forecasting was crude, as was journalism.

You have heard of the ancient Egyptians haven't you?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 16:56:30

A little decorum please guys. Remember that we here are pretty universilly outside society norms for awareness. We have more in common than not.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 17:06:57

Newfie wrote:A little decorum please guys. Remember that we here are pretty universilly outside society norms for awareness. We have more in common than not.

Newfie, i don't normally get involved with global warming. But this thread is over the top, not accepted by serious sciencists. See IPCC-5.This thread is where I feel comfortable and justified.

I question the doom and exaggerations, and am always promptly insulted for it. The hysteria scared the crap out of me for years. Now I see a lot of the fankids predictions as failed, merely as cycles of drought etc. And they ridicule me for my interest in NASA's Global Greening report. But are unable to refute it.

The earth is steadily getting greener.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 18:34:12

One must ask: At what point does p's behavior on these threads amount to trolling or stalking?

If there is no substantive contribution besides "you're all idiots for thinking this," is there any reason for him to be allowed to continuing to post on GW-related threads?

Just a thought.
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 18:38:33

He made a sincere post. You or I may not agree with his position but it is his opinion.

Debate him with facts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 04 Jan 2017, 22:02:32

What 'p' has done is once again to admit his motivation behind his posts. He wants everyone saying scary things to stfu, and wants the scary threads shut down.

If that isn't obvious when he repeatedly tells you that himself, then it will never be.

I'm sure that is his deepest most sincere feelings but,

HIS INTENT IS TO DISRUPT

He admits it freely, so regardless of how sincerely he feels about it, he fits the definition of a Troll, and his attempts to disrupt are a violation of COC.

This is not an attack on 'p' nor an attempt to get him in trouble.

The sincere posters on this thread, want the freedom of discussing the topic of these threads without disruption from those who don't like the topic being discussed.

Whether you agree with 'p' or not, those who wish to discuss these topics have an equal right to the freedom of doing so without being molested.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 03:40:11

record breaking extreme weather in Australia in 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ecosystems
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 03:42:36

running 15 mean average temperature for Australia at record high

http://www.bom.gov.au/tmp/cc/tmean.aus. ... .hires.png
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 03:56:35

kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:10:00

Yes Cid, I admitted to emotional damage. It started with 2005 monster Hurricane season and the 2011 May tornado outbreak. It felt like the harbinger of runaway global warming. It scared the crap out of me.

The California (and the San Paulo) droughts were horrible, nightmare for many GW doomers such as myself. But the droughts came and went, and then I realized what a con THIS ENTIRE THREAD is. Not global warming in general, just this thread. I have a right and duty to call this crap out. Doom has not arrived for the 14th, will not on the 15th version of this tiresome circle jerk.

― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 13:03:58

You do NOT have the right to disrupt threads you don't like. That is a violation of COC.

If you don't like what's being posted here, don't frequent this thread. Very simple.

Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby clif » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 13:25:43

this tiresome circle jerk.

Yet, YOU keep returning to add to it. 8O I wonder why.

I don't go where it appears to me to be a waste of my time, yet you do for some reason ... :mrgreen:
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 13:51:57

This is part 14 of a thread that appears to be over a decade old. At what point will the "Runaway Global Warming" actually become perceptible as an enhancement to the perfectly normal warming trend that the world has been enjoying since the last glacial period?

Then I have an even better question. What possible difference will result if somebody, or several somebodies, or all the PO.com members en masse suddenly cease squabbling and start bowing and scraping to the wisdom of those members who have been making this useless argument for over a decade?

I've thought about it a lot, and I think that the probability of any positive result from this thread is approximately 0.0000001. That would be, any possible positive result other than my own amusement at watching irrational human behaviors.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 17:20:15

Well, one positive result to the site is...lots more hits!

The env section has almost single handedly kept this site afloat for a while now. Few are interested in PO theories anymore (unfortunately). But most realize that the climate is now changing rather rapidly, like an unmanned tippy canoe on a fast moving river--and that we're heading into very rough rapids at best, or over very high falls more probably.
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 11 Jan 2017, 23:57:36

"Draining huge African peatland a threat to climate: study"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/draining-hug ... 30012.html

Extract: "A swampy forest in central Africa the size of England covers previously unknown carbon stocks equivalent to three years' worth of global CO2 emissions, scientists revealed Wednesday.
Draining these peatlands for agriculture, or reduced rainfall due to climate change, would release massive amounts of planet-warming greenhouse gases, they warned in a study published in Nature magazine.

"We found 30 billion tonnes of carbon that nobody knew was there," said Simon Lewis, co-lead author of the study and a professor at the University of Leeds.

"If the Congo Basin peatlands were to be destroyed, it would release billions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere," he told AFP."

(such GHG sources are missing from AR5)

As if we didn't already have enough potential and already engaged carbon feedback loops! 8O
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 08:04:35

dohboi wrote:"Draining huge African peatland a threat to climate: study"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/draining-hug ... 30012.html

Extract: "A swampy forest in central Africa the size of England covers previously unknown carbon stocks equivalent to three years' worth of global CO2 emissions, scientists revealed Wednesday.
Draining these peatlands for agriculture, or reduced rainfall due to climate change, would release massive amounts of planet-warming greenhouse gases, they warned in a study published in Nature magazine.

"We found 30 billion tonnes of carbon that nobody knew was there," said Simon Lewis, co-lead author of the study and a professor at the University of Leeds.

"If the Congo Basin peatlands were to be destroyed, it would release billions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere," he told AFP."

(such GHG sources are missing from AR5)

As if we didn't already have enough potential and already engaged carbon feedback loops! 8O

Its nothing but a blip on the Radar dohboi. For one it would take much longer than one year to activate all that peat if it is actually there in the first place. Secondly three years worth? Give us three years of BAU and we have already done worse.

This smacks of stretching something that is not a good thing into a disaster of epic proportions. It would be bad to activate all that Carbon stored as peat into CO2 in the atmosphere, but compared to BAU human activities this is such small potatoes as to be irrelevant in the big picture.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 08:33:45

kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 16:36:48

Pstarr, CID, KJ.....

Clearly you Gus have a difference of opinion, as we all do. And clearly none of you is going to change the others mind, especially by hurling insults.

I/we all get it you don't agree. Leave it at that. Try to concentrate on adding new information please. No good is done by endlessly repeating long held position. Facts, man, facts. That's not an invitation to regurgitate all the old stuff. Keep it fresh. Let the preponderance of evidence make the case.

Otherwise you guys just sound like an out of control family quarrel.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Environment