Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Economics vs. ETP

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Re: Economics vs. ETP

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 19 Oct 2016, 19:14:22

ralfy wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:Wrong. Supply and demand predicts how buyers will react when prices shift. No one credible ever said this magically ensured all the supplies of every form anyone wanted. No one credible ever implied this altered the laws of physics.

From what I know, the supply curve shifts to the right to maintain equilibrium, but for that to happen, quantity has to shift to the right as well. Given limits to growth, which includes peak oil, as well as diminishing returns, will quantity increase indefinitely?

With respect, I think we're failing to communicate, based on your response above. (If demand for something increases, then for the price to remain the same, then yes, the supply has to increase for that to happen. That's basic microeconomics.)

Again, supply and demand curves only predict how rational people will react to changes in (drum roll please): supply and demand. Whether we're talking about oil, apples, or dancing girls, they don't say anything about guaranteeing there will be adequate supplies of whatever you want.

This has nothing to do with how much oil there is and people will demand, whether electric cars will solve that problem, etc. I think you have a beef with BAU and endless growth (and so do I). But that's not a failure of economics (again, supply and demand works for various different economic systems, the free market being only one).

You wouldn't blame "math" because you need 7 apples, but you only have 2 piles of 2, would you? Surely the mismatch of apples would have to do with the consumers or the producers or the transport, not the math.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 13:11:45

radon1 wrote:
Why, WHY does it have to be rising? It does not. No increased sales=> no share price growth=>no returns=> no investment. Full stop. There is no need for the consumption to be rising out of nowhere.

Increased sales can only take place if there is increased consumption.

Also, increased consumption does not "rise out of nowhere." It comes from groups of people in emerging markets who are now earning more money and spending them:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-22956470

not to mention banks extending credit by offering credit cards, home and car loans, etc. This is expected as banks have to lend more in order to earn more.

What is the objective force that makes the consumption rising, can you explain this please, instead of continuing these general declarations that "it has to be rising"? What is the specific mechanism?

It's competition coupled with growing numbers of people entering the work force, innovation which allows for new products to be made and sold not only to existing but also to new markets, and investors with lots of credit eager to invest in various businesses worldwide. This explains not only the articles which I shared earlier (and which you should read) plus credit extended to consumers through credit cards, home loans, car loans, etc. In fact, banks and other businesses are even marketing investment opportunities to consumers through instruments involving mutual funds with insurance riders, etc.

This is delusion. Investors don't fund anything. To the contrary, they draw consumer money from the consumers. This is the only reason they turn up out there in the third world countries.

Money invested is used to build dams, rail systems, factories, etc., as well as buy mining equipment, chemicals for agricultural production, etc. These are used for operations which involve generating power, various goods, and services, which in turn are purchased by consumers and even other businesses. The revenues earned are used to pay for expenses (including paying part of loans plus interest), with the remaining income used to pay taxes and for further expansion, if not shared as dividends to investors.

That's where the returns on investment come from. Of course, investors can also speculate, e.g., bet that the value of a business will go up or down and bet on that with other investors, but the value of such is ultimately based on profitability, which in turn is based on the operations, etc., mentioned above.

The irony, then, is that as more investors draw more money from consumers through increased consumption, they re-invest even more money, for which they can get returns if there is even more consumption.

Of course, this can only stop if investors stop investing. Which is not likely.

These conditions did not ignore anything. These are the only conditions which may attract money (dollars) into a country, which in turn attract investors into the country.

Again, the resource base to be exploited doesn't lead to manufactured goods immediately. Roads, dams, factories, etc., have to be built, and people have to be hired. The goods have to be sold in order to earn, which is the source of returns on investment. But as markets to which goods are sold become saturated, then businesses turn to other markets, especially when they have large numbers of young people eager to work and spend using what they earn. Add to that the same investors eager to lend to the same people through credit cards, all sorts of loans, etc., and we end up with

And that has been taking place for many years, as seen in multiple articles I have shared so far.

But since you insisting that all of these are part of "delusion," then I can only conclude that you are referring to another planet. With that, I'm afraid I'll have to add you to my ignore list, as you seem to know very little about how investing, businesses, or economics works.
Last edited by ralfy on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 14:06:24, edited 2 times in total.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 14:05:03

Outcast_Searcher wrote:With respect, I think we're failing to communicate, based on your response above. (If demand for something increases, then for the price to remain the same, then yes, the supply has to increase for that to happen. That's basic microeconomics.)

Again, supply and demand curves only predict how rational people will react to changes in (drum roll please): supply and demand. Whether we're talking about oil, apples, or dancing girls, they don't say anything about guaranteeing there will be adequate supplies of whatever you want.

This has nothing to do with how much oil there is and people will demand, whether electric cars will solve that problem, etc. I think you have a beef with BAU and endless growth (and so do I). But that's not a failure of economics (again, supply and demand works for various different economic systems, the free market being only one).

You wouldn't blame "math" because you need 7 apples, but you only have 2 piles of 2, would you? Surely the mismatch of apples would have to do with the consumers or the producers or the transport, not the math.

According to the law of demand, when price goes up, then demand should go down. In this case, oil prices more than tripled, but demand continued to increase.

According to the law of supply, if price goes up, then supply will also go up so that producers can earn more. In this case, oil prices more than tripled, but supply did not rise considerably.

When price dropped, producers should have cut production considerably, but that did not happen likely because they had to keep paying for previous debts plus operational costs, etc.

Perhaps supply will eventually increase in time so that increasing demand

will be met and prices will go down. But that's not likely given diminishing returns:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... fall-ahead

In which case, what best explains what is happening is not solely laws of supply and demand but the effect of diminishing returns (which is connected to ETP) on supply and the effects of increased credit (which will not last) on demand.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 14:15:53

I may add that as a related effect debt is dragging on demand in turn more debt is created to counter this which of course in turn further dampens demand. Part and parcel of being in the diminishing returns stage of our Civilization
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 16:11:34

ralfy wrote:According to the law of demand, when price goes up, then demand should go down. In this case, oil prices more than tripled, but demand continued to increase.

Only if you're talking about something that either can easily be done without, or for which there are easily obtainable substitutes for a reasonable price. So for the vast majority of consumer goods, this would be true. If you double the price of type/brand X of breakfast cereal, the vast majority of people will switch to type/brand Z. However, oil is neither easy to do without or easy to replace (without other substantial costs, like replacing a car or a furnace).

So the economic term there is that the demand for oil (and oil based products like motor fuels) is highly inelastic -- i.e. roughly the same demand will be there, even if the price varies by a LOT. This is basic microeconomics. And the 2008 price spike and the 2010-2014 high prices should be plenty of proof of this concept, for oil.

ralfy wrote:According to the law of supply, if price goes up, then supply will also go up so that producers can earn more. In this case, oil prices more than tripled, but supply did not rise considerably.

Again, we have an unusual constraint with oil. It's very difficult to increase supply, especially in the short term. If this were a typical commodity like wheat, and prices tripled, then as long as farmers had reason to believe the high demand would be there next season, then you can bet that supply would have increased considerably (weather permitting, etc). Oil, aside from fracking, has a long lead time for production, takes a lot of capital, etc. So high prices incent more production on the margin, over time, but you won't see that quickly. Again, this is basic microeconomics, and even common sense.
ralfy wrote:When price dropped, producers should have cut production considerably, but that did not happen likely because they had to keep paying for previous debts plus operational costs, etc.

Right. If the price for wheat (or any such commodity) dropped drastically, then producers would drop production, if they believed the drop in demand (via the low price signal) would stay subdued.
With oil, as has been stated many places many times, once the well is producing, the small net cost to pump and ship it is economic incentive to keep producing. Plus to pay to keep the doors open, of course.

You seem to be trying to say that economics isn't valid or viable with the above examples. You clearly aren't familiar with even the biggest nuances of supply and demand. (I had two basic college courses nearly 40 years ago. So I'm only a layman re economics). Trust me, the field, while far from perfect, is well prepared to deal with simple counter-examples and unusual cases, or it wouldn't be a mainstream field with centuries of successful history behind it.

You're NOT successfully showing that economic principles doesn't work for crude oil (and its products) here.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 16:27:53

ralfy wrote:Perhaps supply will eventually increase in time so that increasing demand

will be met and prices will go down. But that's not likely given diminishing returns:

In which case, what best explains what is happening is not solely laws of supply and demand but the effect of diminishing returns (which is connected to ETP) on supply and the effects of increased credit (which will not last) on demand.

I agree that over time, thus far, global energy demand is increasing. Economic growth has tended to correlate strongly with demand for crude oil, over time.

Oil prices have already gone WAY down, due to the accurate perception that, in the short term, there is a supply glut. So commenting about the future price going down due to "supply meeting demand" doesn't even make any sense. Supply already is significantly exceeding demand (and the market perceives this state of affairs will be the case for awhile), or we wouldn't have sustained prices of roughly half of what they were when this sleigh ride began in 2014.

So to me, your whole comment about future prices vs. potential demand, etc. is muddled. There is no need to even bring diminishing returns into it. You certainly haven't demonstrated diminishing returns. Also, future prices are unknown. If oil prices get crushed long term, for example, by PHEV's and BEV's, that proves such vehicles are successful. It in no way proves that ETP is right. Oil will just be needed far less due to (finally) a truly effective (or even superior) substitute.

I personally think that will happen (PHEV's and BEV's will take over), but it will be a shift that will take a few decades or so.

And OTOH, if rising demand and shrinking new reserve finds continues and eventually oil sees a large and sustained rise, then eventually the ETP followers will need to admit their theory isn't working.

Regardless, supply and demand will have continued to do their thing, all along.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 18:07:13

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I agree that over time, thus far, global energy demand is increasing. Economic growth has tended to correlate strongly with demand for crude oil, over time.

Oil prices have already gone WAY down, due to the accurate perception that, in the short term, there is a supply glut. So commenting about the future price going down due to "supply meeting demand" doesn't even make any sense. Supply already is significantly exceeding demand (and the market perceives this state of affairs will be the case for awhile), or we wouldn't have sustained prices of roughly half of what they were when this sleigh ride began in 2014.

OTOH, if rising demand and shrinking new reserve finds continues and eventually oil sees a large and sustained rise, then eventually the ETP followers will need to admit their theory isn't working.

Are we still in a supply glut? What I mean is, not only are prives up to where they were a year ago, we also have a bunch of oil being taken out of storage, refined and consumed. I can easily see we were in a supply 'glut' where prices were sharply lower and almost every week a couple million barrels of crude oil were added to storage tanks around America. So far as I can tell OPEC and Russia are still exporting as much oil as they were a month ago, but now demand is exceeding imports enough to take two or three million barrels of crude out of storage every week.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 18:34:12

There seem to be a number of analysts along with Saudi Arabia claiming recently they see the market coming back into balance already. I think that is something that will take several weeks to assess however, especially given US activity seems to be increasing.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 22:49:47

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
ralfy wrote:According to the law of demand, when price goes up, then demand should go down. In this case, oil prices more than tripled, but demand continued to increase.

Only if you're talking about something that either can easily be done without, or for which there are easily obtainable substitutes for a reasonable price. So for the vast majority of consumer goods, this would be true. If you double the price of type/brand X of breakfast cereal, the vast majority of people will switch to type/brand Z. However, oil is neither easy to do without or easy to replace (without other substantial costs, like replacing a car or a furnace).

So the economic term there is that the demand for oil (and oil based products like motor fuels) is highly inelastic -- i.e. roughly the same demand will be there, even if the price varies by a LOT. This is basic microeconomics. And the 2008 price spike and the 2010-2014 high prices should be plenty of proof of this concept, for oil.

ralfy wrote:According to the law of supply, if price goes up, then supply will also go up so that producers can earn more. In this case, oil prices more than tripled, but supply did not rise considerably.

Again, we have an unusual constraint with oil. It's very difficult to increase supply, especially in the short term. If this were a typical commodity like wheat, and prices tripled, then as long as farmers had reason to believe the high demand would be there next season, then you can bet that supply would have increased considerably (weather permitting, etc). Oil, aside from fracking, has a long lead time for production, takes a lot of capital, etc. So high prices incent more production on the margin, over time, but you won't see that quickly. Again, this is basic microeconomics, and even common sense.
ralfy wrote:When price dropped, producers should have cut production considerably, but that did not happen likely because they had to keep paying for previous debts plus operational costs, etc.

Right. If the price for wheat (or any such commodity) dropped drastically, then producers would drop production, if they believed the drop in demand (via the low price signal) would stay subdued.
With oil, as has been stated many places many times, once the well is producing, the small net cost to pump and ship it is economic incentive to keep producing. Plus to pay to keep the doors open, of course.

You seem to be trying to say that economics isn't valid or viable with the above examples. You clearly aren't familiar with even the biggest nuances of supply and demand. (I had two basic college courses nearly 40 years ago. So I'm only a layman re economics). Trust me, the field, while far from perfect, is well prepared to deal with simple counter-examples and unusual cases, or it wouldn't be a mainstream field with centuries of successful history behind it.

You're NOT successfully showing that economic principles doesn't work for crude oil (and its products) here.

Is oil supply also inelastic? Might this help?

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Th ... ained.html

One of the arguments is that a reduction of around 1 Mbd in demand should lead to a price of $80.

I also recall that oil price went down together with those of other commodities:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... years.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 23:06:20

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I agree that over time, thus far, global energy demand is increasing. Economic growth has tended to correlate strongly with demand for crude oil, over time.

So to me, your whole comment about future prices vs. potential demand, etc. is muddled. There is no need to even bring diminishing returns into it. You certainly haven't demonstrated diminishing returns. Also, future prices are unknown. If oil prices get crushed long term, for example, by PHEV's and BEV's, that proves such vehicles are successful. It in no way proves that ETP is right. Oil will just be needed far less due to (finally) a truly effective (or even superior) substitute.

I personally think that will happen (PHEV's and BEV's will take over), but it will be a shift that will take a few decades or so.

And OTOH, if rising demand and shrinking new reserve finds continues and eventually oil sees a large and sustained rise, then eventually the ETP followers will need to admit their theory isn't working.

Diminishing returns are illustrated clearly here:

That's why supply exceeding demand involved large amounts of debt:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... to-survive

with even more debt needed in the future in exchange for lower increases in oil production:

http://energypolicy.columbia.edu/events ... ey-drivers

Does this mean the supply curve has to be even steeper? How does that affect demand?

Also, I don't think EVs will crush oil prices as EVs (together with many other products) require oil for mining, manufacturing, and even shipping, not only of finished goods but even raw materials and components. Even the infrastructure needed for EVs and RE in general require oil, and what affects oil also affects copper, etc.

In addition, alternative sources of energy have low quantity and quality. A world that's uses EVs (and extensively, as businesses competing with each other in capitalist systems will require ever-increasing production and sales in order to thrive) will require extensive amounts not only of oil but of various minerals, and likely much more than what the world will allow.

Lag time also doesn't help:

http://www.businessinsider.com/131-year ... il-2010-11

Given these points, I think we will need to look at more than just supply and demand curves. Diminishing returns, the effects of increased credit and debt, the low energy returns and quantity of replacements for oil, the fact that oil is an integral requirement even for the manufacture of components needed to use other sources of energy, the effect of financial speculation on oil prices, and more will have to be considered for this issue.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 03:50:30

ralfy wrote:Increased sales can only take place if there is increased consumption.

Going in circles. Again - there is absolutely no need for increased sales. No increased sales - no investment, investors sit at home and drink tea. They don't care.

What is the objective force that makes the consumption rising, can you explain this please, instead of continuing these general declarations that "it has to be rising"? What is the specific mechanism?

It's competition coupled with growing numbers of people entering the work force, innovation which allows for new products to be made and sold not only to existing but also to new markets, and investors with lots of credit eager to invest in various businesses worldwide.

So, the reason for the growing number of people entering the work force IS the growing number of people entering the workforce. Brilliant explanation. Not to mention the rest of your points.

Your reasoning puts the cart before the horse. Investors follow the money, not the other way round as you appear to suggest.

This is delusion. Investors don't fund anything. To the contrary, they draw consumer money from the consumers. This is the only reason they turn up out there in the third world countries.

Money invested is used to build dams, rail systems, factories, etc., as well as buy mining equipment, chemicals for agricultural production, etc.

Dams, rail systems, and entire logistical infrastructure were built by the Maoist marxist state in China before the country entered the western investment stage, and their existence was a necessary pre-condition for the western investors to turn up there (hello, anti-marxist bunch, btw). The investors have been exploiting it essentially for free.

Again, investors don't fund anything, they do the opposite. As you are too shy to name the one who is really doing all the funding, I'll tell you - you are doing it. And the rest of the western consumers. Plus maybe some bits from non-market actors like states, from time to time. Now find out who is funding you, for more clarity.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 11:22:46

rockdoc123 wrote:There seem to be a number of analysts along with Saudi Arabia claiming recently they see the market coming back into balance already. I think that is something that will take several weeks to assess however, especially given US activity seems to be increasing.

Interesting, do you have a couple links I could read?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:33:34

Sub/Doc - Remind me: what is the definition of a "balanced market". Then I'll be able to know on my own when it finally happens. Thanks in advance.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 13:35:59

I use the term the same way OPEC does....supply is balanced by demand.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 15:37:44

Interesting links, I especially like this one,
Citi Bank pointed to an overall drop in inventories in the United States, Japan, Singapore and Europe.

I knew inventories in the USA were dropping from the weekly EIA data but was unaware the phenomenon was so wide spread. It seems to me that if traders were worried about future OPEC cuts they would be buying and storing more oil as quickly as they can, not taking oil out of storage.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 17:01:52

Doc - "I use the term the same way OPEC does....supply is balanced by demand.". Mucho thanks. So then the market has been balanced for many years since producers have been supplying consumers with the oil they were willing to buy. I see it the same way.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 17:53:39

UH no. I use it the same way as OPEC. They have a supply projection and a demand projection. There has been more supply available than there was demand for.

this was the situation at end Q1 by end Q4 WoodMac thinks supply curve will have diminished such that demand catches up.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 22:11:28

The catch is that supply is much more expensive now. Meanwhile, consumers need more oil but can barely afford the higher price. At the same time, the financial elite which controls much of the global economy in which these conditions exist (they fund oil exploration, the producers that use oil to manufacture various goods and services, and both the income and the credit used by consumers to buy those goods and services, from which the same investors get their returns) need cheap oil so that their investments, returns, and income continue to rise, especially given competition, opportunity costs, and innovation which drives productivity, in turn leading to more production, borrowing, spending, and consumption. They can fund production of more expensive oil, but they require higher returns because operations are riskier, which coupled with diminishing returns (increasing financial costs in exchange for ever-decreasing increases in production) means prices have to be even higher. With higher prices, consumers can barely afford to buy not only oil but all sorts of "innovative" goods and services that businesses have to sell so that they and their investors can profit.

Thus, we have a situation where consumers need oil but can barely afford it, while producers can provide that oil but at ever-increasing prices. In which case, it's not so much a matter of economics vs. ETP or even suppliers meeting demand but ETP leading to these economic conditions.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 22:32:53

ROCKMAN wrote:Doc - "I use the term the same way OPEC does....supply is balanced by demand.". Mucho thanks. So then the market has been balanced for many years since producers have been supplying consumers with the oil they were willing to buy. I see it the same way.
Demand in this case not counting oil that goes into storage. Or to put another way, when stock change approaches 0 (for an appreciable amount of time) you could say we are balanced. This has not been the case recently as stocks were growing at a good clip (2 MMbpd in 2015, another 1 MMbpd in 2016). After balance comes deficit where demand starts to get fed increasingly from our accumulated oil stocks.

Global balance summary (million barrels per day)
____________ 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
World Demand 94.4 95.6 96.9 98.2 99.3 100.5 101.6
World Supply_ 96.4 96.7 97.0 97.8 98.7 99.5 100.5
Stock Change_ 2.0_ 1.1_ 0.1_ -0.4 -0.7 -1.0 -1.1
Only in 2017 will we finally see oil supply and demand aligned but the enormous stocks being accumulated will act as a dampener on the pace of recovery in oil prices when the market, having balanced, then starts to draw down those stocks. Unless we see an even larger than expected fall in non-OPEC oil production in 2016 and/or a major demand growth spurt it is hard to see oil prices recovering significantly in the short term from the low levels prevailing at the time of publication of this report.
Another downside to low oil prices is the impact on investment. The IEA has regularly warned of the potential consequences of the 24% fall in investment seen in 2015 and the expected 17% fall in 2016. In today’s oil market there is hardly any spare production capacity other than in Saudi Arabia and Iran and significant investment is required just to maintain existing production before we move on to provide the new capacity needed to meet rising oil demand. The risk of a sharp oil price rise towards the later part of our forecast arising from insufficient investment is as potentially de-stabilising as the sharp oil price fall has proved to be.
Medium-Term Oil Market Report 2016
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

PreviousNext

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models