Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Greenland Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Greenland Thread (merged)

Unread postby dissident » Mon 18 Nov 2013, 20:14:40

Subjectivist wrote:
dissident wrote:
I have made the point several times on this board before: comparing the climate sensitivity to CO2 increases today and 5.3 million years ago is not appropriate. We slipped into an ice age because the Panama channel closed and due to ocean currents around Indonesia about 5 million years ago and not because the CO2 was removed by some unknown process. So 450 ppmv CO2 today will have a different impact than it did 5 or 10 million years ago. From the paleclimate record there will be a smaller temperature response with today's sensitivity.

Really? How much smaller do you believe the response will be? So far from the effects we see in the Arctic the amplification has been higher than what the climate models were predicting, not smaller.

This smells of trolling. Which climate models? Please provide some references.

Everyone and his dog knows that climate GCM land and sea ice schemes are very primitive (glorified ice cube models). They also only started using coupled ocean-atmosphere models very recently (not for the previous IPCC round) due to lack of computer power. I have not seen the diagnostics of these coupled models. If they have realistic sea ice schemes (e.g. ones where the sea ice is transported by the ocean circulation as affected by the atmospheric circulation), then they should do a much better job of capturing the albedo loss we have seen during the last 10 years.

You show the basic problem with climate science: everyone thinks he's an expert. Do you have a gut feeling about the ocean circulation under different land mass arrangements? Do you also have a gut feeling about CO2 flux at the ocean surface due to different circulation regimes?
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 13:32:51

dissident wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:
dissident wrote:
I have made the point several times on this board before: comparing the climate sensitivity to CO2 increases today and 5.3 million years ago is not appropriate. We slipped into an ice age because the Panama channel closed and due to ocean currents around Indonesia about 5 million years ago and not because the CO2 was removed by some unknown process. So 450 ppmv CO2 today will have a different impact than it did 5 or 10 million years ago. From the paleclimate record there will be a smaller temperature response with today's sensitivity.

Really? How much smaller do you believe the response will be? So far from the effects we see in the Arctic the amplification has been higher than what the climate models were predicting, not smaller.

This smells of trolling. Which climate models? Please provide some references.

Everyone and his dog knows that climate GCM land and sea ice schemes are very primitive (glorified ice cube models). They also only started using coupled ocean-atmosphere models very recently (not for the previous IPCC round) due to lack of computer power. I have not seen the diagnostics of these coupled models. If they have realistic sea ice schemes (e.g. ones where the sea ice is transported by the ocean circulation as affected by the atmospheric circulation), then they should do a much better job of capturing the albedo loss we have seen during the last 10 years.

You show the basic problem with climate science: everyone thinks he's an expert. Do you have a gut feeling about the ocean circulation under different land mass arrangements? Do you also have a gut feeling about CO2 flux at the ocean surface due to different circulation regimes?

If I thought I were an expert I wouldn't be asking polite questions.

I was referring to the IPCC 2007 report that was predicting an ice free arctic ocean in 2070, later revised to 2040. From what I see on here and nevens blog and possibly on realclimate I have the impression it will be an ice free ocean by the end of this decade.

Recently I watched a series of lecture from Dr. Richard Alley where he was talking about rapid less than 5 year climate transitions and the potential for the west antarctic ice sheet to become unstable with a small sea level rise because it is grounded on sub sea rock.

Sorry you felt my enquiries had to be met in such a hostile manner.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 15 Jan 2014, 16:36:20

In case you missed it, last week Greenlands government opened up a vast new tract of oil leases off of their coastline.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X8qB7g_m5lg
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 13:59:54

Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Greenland Ice Core Data: Spooky

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 31 Mar 2014, 10:55:18

PenultimateManStanding wrote:Here's a good summary of the situation:

By the turn of the new millenium, finally the idea of abrupt change had reached some kind of critical mass among climate scientists. In a coming of age for the science, the National Research Council appointed a special committee to conduct a comprehensive review of the subject. Some of the brightest climate scientists in the business were asked to identify "critical knowledge gaps" and to recommend a research strategy. In 2002, the NRC committee issued its report Abrupt Climate Change: Inevitable Surprises.
"We do not yet understand abrupt climate changes well enough to predict them," Richard Alley, who chaired the NRC committee, wrote in a preface to the report. "The models used to project future climate changes and their impacts are not especially good at simulating the size, speed, and extent of the past changes, casting uncertainties on assessments of potential future changes. Thus, it is likely that climate suprises await us."
A problem that Alley and other paleoclimate scientists refer to as the "insensitivity of models" or the "model-data gap" sounds like a technical issue but really is more fundamental. It means that the models are unable to reproduce accurately the numerous epidodes of abrupt change that show up clearly in many environmental archives around the world. The reasons for this failure are not yet known, but the implications are plain enough. Until these highly sophisiticated numerical representations of Earth's climate system - running on the world's most powerful computers - are able to get the past right, what reason is there to believe they can get the future right?
Climate Crash, John D. Cox

Dr. Richard Alley has given an abrupt climate change update at the fall 2013 American Geophysical Union meeting. For those who don't know Dr. alley is co-discoverer of abrupt climate change from Greenland Ice Core research.

http://youtu.be/v2qfa3TYgcs
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 07 May 2014, 21:51:03

Greenland melting due equally to global warming, natural variations

The rapid melting of Greenland glaciers is captured in the documentary "Chasing Ice." The retreat of the ice edge from one year to the next sends more water into the sea. Now University of Washington atmospheric scientists have estimated that up to half of the recent warming in Greenland and surrounding areas may be due to climate variations that originate in the tropical Pacific and are not connected with the overall warming of the planet. Still, at least half the warming remains attributable to global warming caused by rising carbon dioxide emissions. The paper is published May 8 in Nature.

phys.org
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Wed 07 May 2014, 22:08:29

Subjectivist wrote:In case you missed it, last week Greenlands government opened up a vast new tract of oil leases off of their coastline.

Maybe I'm stupid, but assuming oil is found there how do you produce it? Despite climate change, the area is covered with ice most of the year.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 08 May 2014, 07:33:30

The western COAST and surrounding waters is warmed by the Gulf Stream much as Norway. While not ice free, the area below Disko has relatively little ice and few bergs. The bergs tend to go West to The Baffin coast then South with the
Labrador current.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 19 May 2014, 20:34:08

Climate change, forest fires drove widespread surface melting of Greenland ice sheet

Rising temperatures and ash from Northern Hemisphere forest fires combined to cause large-scale surface melting of the Greenland ice sheet in 1889 and 2012, contradicting conventional thinking that the melt events were driven by warming alone, a Dartmouth College-led study finds.

The findings suggest that continued climate change will result in nearly annual widespread melting of the ice sheet's surface by the year 2100, and that a positive feedback mechanism may be set in motion. Melting in the dry snow region does not contribute to sea level rise; instead, the meltwater percolates into the snowpack and refreezes, causing lower albedo and leaving the ice sheet surface even more susceptible to future melting. Albedo is the surface's ability to reflect sunlight.

The study appears in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The study was conducted by the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth and the Desert Research Institute. The research was supported by the National Science Foundation and NASA.

phys.org
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 24 May 2014, 19:13:10

Greenland will be far greater contributor to sea rise than expected

Greenland's icy reaches are far more vulnerable to warm ocean waters from climate change than had been thought, according to new research by UC Irvine and NASA glaciologists. The work, published today in Nature Geoscience, shows previously uncharted deep valleys stretching for dozens of miles under the Greenland Ice Sheet.

The bedrock canyons sit well below sea level, meaning that as subtropical Atlantic waters hit the fronts of hundreds of glaciers, those edges will erode much further than had been assumed and release far greater amounts of water.

Ice melt from the subcontinent has already accelerated as warmer marine currents have migrated north, but older models predicted that once higher ground was reached in a few years, the ocean-induced melting would halt. Greenland's frozen mass would stop shrinking, and its effect on higher sea waters would be curtailed.

"That turns out to be incorrect. The glaciers of Greenland are likely to retreat faster and farther inland than anticipated – and for much longer – according to this very different topography we've discovered beneath the ice," said lead author Mathieu Morlighem, a UCI associate project scientist. "This has major implications, because the glacier melt will contribute much more to rising seas around the globe."

phys.org
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: The Greenland Thread

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 01 Apr 2017, 15:17:51

And speaking of Greenland here's an update of its oil development status:

"Another key step in the development of Greenland’s oil and gas industry occurred in 1992 when the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland registered oil seeps on Disco Island. In following years numerous seeps were recorded over a wide area. These promising signs prompted a number of seismic companies to acquire speculative data offshore Greenland.

Oil and gas licensing in Greenland started in earnest in the early 2000s, with licensing rounds in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2012-13. In addition, Greenland offered a separate open door procedure in the Jameson Land and South West Greenland areas in 2002 and 2008, respectively. These were areas with comparatively more limited data coverage where the open door procedure allowed companies to apply for acreage on an ongoing basis, with applications considered, and areas awarded on a first come, first served basis.

Currently, 23 offshore licences for oil and gas exploration and exploitation have been awarded by the Government of Greenland."
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 02 Apr 2017, 11:22:58

I think there was at one time 20 leased blocks all of which were off the west coast of Greenland. The only drilling that I am aware of was done by Cairn Energy who spent around a billion dollars to drill a number of wells with no commercial success.
My understanding is there are oil seeps present onshore and source rock has been identified in early Cretaceous sediments. The basic geologic setting is that of a rift basin and it has been compared to the Viking, Central graben of the North Sea in terms of size and genesis.
The contract terms are certainly attractive 15% royalties and a 6.25% carried interest for the indigenous company Nunaoil. Even with attractive terms the costs of activity here are prohibitively high even at much higher oil prices as far as I can tell.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 02 Apr 2017, 12:49:32

Doc - I agree. If we see oil eventually being produced in Greenland it will mean the world is in really screwed. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aldente » Wed 31 May 2017, 23:51:48

lorenzo wrote: It's ours![We need preemptive propaganda more than ever now. Yankee: putting Walmarts on Antarctica first will not make it yours.]

Lorenzo is either a "true Greenlander" - or must have some personal financial stake in all of this - how otherwise would one be so possessive ?!

aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jawagord » Fri 09 Jun 2017, 14:45:52

Graeme wrote:Greenland will be far greater contributor to sea rise than expected

Greenland's icy reaches are far more vulnerable to warm ocean waters from climate change than had been thought, according to new research by UC Irvine and NASA glaciologists.

"The glaciers of Greenland are likely to retreat faster and farther inland than anticipated – and for much longer – according to this very different topography we've discovered beneath the ice," said lead author Mathieu Morlighem, a UCI associate project scientist. "This has major implications, because the glacier melt will contribute much more to rising seas around the globe."

phys.org

These NASA melt stories always seem to ignore the other side of the glacier equation, accumulation of snow over winter months. The Danish Meteorological Institute who've been monitoring Greenland ice mass for the last 36 years show the snow/ice accumulation the 2016-2017 winter was a record high, near 700 gigatons (GT). According to the Danes, accumulation has exceed melting every year on record, but with ice flowing to the ocean and glaciers calving off into the sea there has been a net loss of mass on average of 200 GT per year. At this rate Greenland's 2.5 million GT of ice will be completely gone in 15,000 years. Maybe we can hold off on the sandbagging and dyke building for awhile?

http://beta.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maaling ... ss-budget/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 18:41:08

The rate of sea level rise is increasing, in part due to increasing melt coming from Greenland

greenland-major-driver-sea-level

The IPCC was way too conservative....sea level rise is happening significantly faster then they predicted.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 27 Jun 2017, 22:27:03

The IPCC was way too conservative....sea level rise is happening significantly faster then they predicted.

Hardly. IPCC AR5 indicated that the average rate for 1993 – 2010 was 3.2 mm/y with a range of 2.8 to 3.6 mm/yr. That rate is the same as the current rate of sea level rise and it is exactly captured in the IPCC models and that rate is kept out until 2020 where it diverges based on the various RCP’s used in the models.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 00:52:48

rockdoc123 wrote:

Hardly. IPCC AR5 indicated that the average rate for 1993 – 2010 was 3.2 mm/y with a range of 2.8 to 3.6 mm/yr.

Don't you know anything? Why do I have to explain the most simple things to you?

The IPCC AR5 report is the fifth and most recent IPCC report---it was published in 2013-2014. OF COURSE an IPCC report published in 2013 gets the rate of level rise right for the years 1993-2010----. BY 2013 the years from 1993-2010 are already in the past so the bit you quote isn't a prediction at all.

I suggest you look up the meaning of the word "prediction" before you make this boneheaded mistake again.

Cheers! :lol: 8) :-D :)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 28 Jun 2017, 12:01:28

Don't you know anything? Why do I have to explain the most simple things to you?

The IPCC AR5 report is the fifth and most recent IPCC report---it was published in 2013-2014. OF COURSE an IPCC report published in 2013 gets the rate of level rise right for the years 1993-2010----. BY 2013 the years from 1993-2010 are already in the past so the bit you quote isn't a prediction at all.

I suggest you look up the meaning of the word "prediction" before you make this boneheaded mistake agai

how thick are you? Did you not read what I wrote. The IPCC rate of 3.2 mm/yr is exactly what it is today and in their models they had carried 3.2 mm/yr from 2012 out to 2020 (that's a projection you twit) and then the projections diverged based on which RCP was used in the model. So it is absolutely impossible that sea level is rising faster than the IPCC predicted. They predicted a rate of 3.2 mm/yr for 2012 - 2020 and that is exactly what is happening now.

What part of this do you not understand?
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to North America Discussion