Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Train starts UK to China run

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Train starts UK to China run

Unread postby EdwinSm » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 09:11:59

The article positions the train between ships (slow) and planes (expensive), so I suppose if it removes some airfreight then it will save a little bit of fuel.

The operators say it is cheaper to send goods by train than by air and faster than by sea.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39549077
EdwinSm
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Train starts UK to China run

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:05:42

Actually eliminating air freight would save a heck of a lot of fuel. For something like an organ transplant, okay, but for sneakers for a grand opening sale, not so much.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GASMON » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 13:06:34

For every full train from UK to China there will 50 full ones in the opposite direction !!!!!!!

Brit15
The truth is sometimes incorrect
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 16:00:35

GASMON wrote:For every full train from UK to China there will 50 full ones in the opposite direction !!!!!!!

Brit15

It's not quite that unbalanced, a lot of scrap and waste goes to China for recycling.
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
dolanbaker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby godq3 » Thu 13 Apr 2017, 10:58:08

Subjectivist wrote:Actually eliminating air freight would save a heck of a lot of fuel. For something like an organ transplant, okay, but for sneakers for a grand opening sale, not so much.

Nothing would be saved. It would just be burned elsewhere. People want things. People's needs are limitless (almost everybody would want to win a lottery, top sportsmen earn over 10 million dollars a year, etc). To make/do "things", energy is needed. So when we save energy in one place, it will be used elsewhere. Generally, price machanisms directs where energy is used. Whole world economy is just a scheme, to use available energy as fast as possible.
godq3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 11 Oct 2017, 02:10:02

godq3 wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Actually eliminating air freight would save a heck of a lot of fuel. For something like an organ transplant, okay, but for sneakers for a grand opening sale, not so much.

Nothing would be saved. It would just be burned elsewhere. People want things. People's needs are limitless (almost everybody would want to win a lottery, top sportsmen earn over 10 million dollars a year, etc). To make/do "things", energy is needed. So when we save energy in one place, it will be used elsewhere. Generally, price mechanisms directs where energy is used. Whole world economy is just a scheme, to use available energy as fast as possible.

You can say that about any and every energy conservation measure. If you really believe that you should not have insulation in your home because it just slows down the energy use for heating and cooling and the energy you save just gets used by someone else, right?
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby toolpush » Wed 11 Oct 2017, 03:11:38

30 by 40ft containers, and only one loco, seems a very short train for such a long journey. I know Europe is mainly set up for passenger rail traffic, therefore shorter faster trains, but only 30 containers still seems short.
I wonder if they can extend the train as it hit Eastern Europe?

The other thing, that looks like a diesel electric. I can't see it being the loco pulling the train through the Chunnel, unless they hook up an electric loco on the front for the underground haul?

On a side note, I tried to book a rail trip from Moscow to China via Kazakhstan in the mid 80's. For some reason we were not allowed to go that way. We ended up going via Mongolia instead. It was just ahead of my time I suppose.
toolpush
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby GASMON » Wed 11 Oct 2017, 11:06:31

All trains are electric through the Channel tunnel - diesels (due to fumes) are banned, though they may be hauled through dead.

30 x 40' containers is about right for such trains in the UK, we do not have mile long freight trains like the USA !! 775m long is the max train length on just a few UK lines. - Though they may well be longer on the continent.

Gas
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 11 Oct 2017, 12:16:45

GASMON wrote:All trains are electric through the Channel tunnel - diesels (due to fumes) are banned, though they may be hauled through dead.

30 x 40' containers is about right for such trains in the UK, we do not have mile long freight trains like the USA !! 775m long is the max train length on just a few UK lines. - Though they may well be longer on the continent.

Gas

I don't think there are many marshalling yards left on the UK rail network, let alone ones that are that long.
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
dolanbaker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GASMON » Wed 11 Oct 2017, 15:06:48

True dolanbaker, very few if any freight train marshalling (sorting) is done these days. Most of UK freight today are block trains from point to point, or port to container terminal (Chunnel to container terminal in the case of the China run). Quite a few freight block trains pass my house on the West coast main line, South & Midlands to Scotland, mostly container trains, block oil trains, some coal (imported), steel etc The days of the local pick up goods trains ended many years ago.

The length of UK trains is determined by the length (distance) between signals, and the length of passing sidings. Don't forget we invented railways, but most of our infrastructure is many years old. We have 125 mph tilting passenger trains on the same tracks as 75mph freight, running on track alignments built in the 1830's. It all works though (most times !!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgkZwMkMUDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_YnD0O8Ku0

Gas
GASMON
Fission
Fission

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics