Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CalExit: The Free State of California

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

CalExit: The Free State of California

Unread postby vox_mundi » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 19:12:46

After Trump Inauguration, 'CalExit' Ballot Measure Builds Steam

Acknowledging that the legal and political obstacles are formidable, the proponent of a state ballot measure to sever California's ties with the United States and form its own nation has been cleared to start collecting signatures.

If passed by voters, the measure, "California Nationhood. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statue," would remove language from the state constitution describing California as "an inseparable part of the United States of America" and require the governor to request admission for California to the United Nations.

... Years ago, a former top aide to Brown when he was governor the first time around in the 1970s, told me that he loved to contemplate all kinds of scenarios.

"We once discussed the pros and cons of having the California National Guard invade Nevada," he told me. That could be music to the ears of the CalExit campaign.

or

... Never before have the people thirsted for authority, direction, order, as they do now. If each age has its doctrine, then innumerable symptoms indicate that the doctrine of our age is the Fascist. Fascism respects the God of ascetics, saints, and heroes, and it also respects God as conceived by the ingenuous and primitive heart of the people, the God to whom their prayers are raised."
— Benito Mussolini (1932)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: CalExit: The Free State of California

Unread postby Cog » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 19:38:57

I believe this was tried before in 1861 with somewhat disastrous results.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 20:43:44

Isn't that the Bear Flag Republic?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 21:27:27

I have no doubt the Republican Party would fully support the effort. Pulling those electoral votes out of the mix would guarentee R domination for many decades. And think of the extra money we would have in the Social Security system since those former Californians would be denouncing their citizenship.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 21:45:01

ROCKMAN wrote:I have no doubt the Republican Party would fully support the effort. Pulling those electoral votes out of the mix would guarentee R domination for many decades. And think of the extra money we would have in the Social Security system since those former Californians would be denouncing their citizenship.

Thats the logical way to look at it.

But just as the Ds have a bad habit of seceding from the union, the Rs have a bad habit of fighting the Ds to preserve the union.

COME ON, BOYS!!!! WE'VE GOT THE Ds ON THE RUN! ON TO SAN FRANCISCO!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Fri 27 Jan 2017, 22:54:56, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Zarquon » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 21:48:33

They'd need the Chinese to guarantee their security. That should be fun to watch.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Fri 27 Jan 2017, 22:10:50

Hmm Never thought I'd be fighting on the Union side but I'm game.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 00:30:40

P - The interesting part of this silly hypothetical is that northern CA has been wanting to ditch southern CA for decades. Some folks in Washington state might want to hook up with CA but with the 5th largest refining industry in the country I doubt they would want to be dependent upon oil imports from another country, the SUSA...the Somewhat United States of America. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 05:20:49

Governor Moonbeam is no Jefferson Davis.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 08:20:13

Pu will have to deal with 50 insane entities with nuclear weapons, instead of just one. Man, that's scary 8O .
radon1
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 08:34:15

Nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

45.8% of California land is owned by the Federal government.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 09:47:34

radon1 wrote:Pu will have to deal with 50 insane entities with nuclear weapons, instead of just one. Man, that's scary 8O .

Nah, only the states with Navy or Air Force bases have nukes, the rest are dependent on National Guard who are poorly paid and insufficiently trained.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 18:43:38

Lord please let them try this. Governor Moonbeam, being led away in shackles, would make my year.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/0 ... p-threats/

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – The state of California is studying ways to suspend financial transfers to Washington after the Trump administration threatened to withhold federal money from sanctuary cities, KPIX 5 has learned.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 18:56:10

Newfie,

Get that boat out of drydock. I'm going to get a letter of marque and we are going conduct warfare along the California coastline. Always wanted to be a privateer.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 21:01:18

Cog wrote:Lord please let them try this. Governor Moonbeam, being led away in shackles, would make my year.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/0 ... p-threats/

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – The state of California is studying ways to suspend financial transfers to Washington after the Trump administration threatened to withhold federal money from sanctuary cities, KPIX 5 has learned.

THis is too stupid for words---- Gov. Jerry Brown is acting like an absolute loon.

He lives in a fantasy world if he thinks California is sending money to Washington, because the state of California doesn't make any transfers to DC. Individual taxpayers pay federal taxes, yes, but the state doesn't make any payments to DC.

It sounds like Brown is thinking about organizing California taxpayers to not pay their federal taxes. If so that is a felony.

Not only is it stupid---its very cowardly of Gov. Moonbeam to investigate how taxpayers in California can stop paying their income taxes. May I suggest that he volunteer himself to be the first to withhold his taxes over Trump's election. He can be the text case to see just how that is work out. :lol:
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 28 Jan 2017, 22:09:33

"...how taxpayers in California can stop paying their income taxes." The Confederacy tried something similar. It worked...for a while. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 11:55:52

It is California after all. Lot's of celebraties have refused to pay taxes...unfortunately for them it didn't work out.
Lets see..Lindsay Lohan, Nicolas Cage, Ozzie Osborne, the list goes on. Some like Heidi Fleiss and Wesley Snipes were awarded jail sentences as an award for exercising their right to protest tax paying! :lol:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hvacman » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 15:09:21

ROCKMAN wrote:P - The interesting part of this silly hypothetical is that northern CA has been wanting to ditch southern CA for decades. Some folks in Washington state might want to hook up with CA but with the 5th largest refining industry in the country I doubt they would want to be dependent upon oil imports from another country, the SUSA...the Somewhat United States of America. LOL.

Actually the far northern rural region of California where I live near Shasta Lake wishes to ditch BOTH southern California and what most think of as Northern California - (Sacramento, San Francisco and the Bay Area). together with portions of rural southern Oregon (Ashland, Medford, etc.), there is a movement to form the "State of Jefferson".

So if Cal exits, Jefferson will exit the exited Cal, and perhaps a nip of Oregon will peel off too. Probably better to just sort out our temporary differences or Balkanize into a hundred states.

http://interactive.nydailynews.com/2016/02/state-of-jefferson-secessionists-california-gun-totin-rebels/
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 15:47:51

Surely the thread title should be "Calgone"
Ronald Coase, Nobel Economic Sciences, said in 1991 “If we torture the data long enough, it will confess.”
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 21:10:24

Now wait a minute, think this through.

California wants to be a sanctuary state.

The USA doesn't want all those folks seeking sanctuary.

So.....send them on over. And give free exit visas, one way, to all those who want to leave the USA now that Trump is president.

Give them all free one way tickets and let it rip.

We can then just annex PR and keep the flag the same. I like PR, It has water and a better climate.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics