Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Worlds biggest bribe factory

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Worlds biggest bribe factory

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 18:40:37

Quite a lengthy expose of how the corruption works in the oil industry

A massive leak of confidential documents has for the first time exposed the true extent of corruption within the oil industry, implicating dozens of leading companies, bureaucrats and politicians in a sophisticated global web of bribery and graft.

After a six-month investigation across two continents, Fairfax Media and The Huffington Post can reveal that billions of dollars of government contracts were awarded as the direct result of bribes paid on behalf of firms including British icon Rolls-Royce, US giant Halliburton, Australia’s Leighton Holdings and Korean heavyweights Samsung and Hyundai.

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... world.html
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Worlds biggest bribe factory

Unread postby americandream » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 18:58:22

Damned good article. Saved for later. The heart of the corruption network resides in the ME which doles out the lolly and by a convoluted chain of logic, leads back to Arabic-centric objectives, all nicely stashed away as Muslim friendly outcomes. The average muslim in the meantime watches his world go down the toilet whilst the core elite, by a variety of sleights of hand, seek to secure the levers of capitalism. Our leaders of course are way to busy with their own outdated notions of empire, power and brutally, the need for cash, lots of it, to the degree that they largely turn a blind eye to the reality on the ground, the usurpation of capitalism by an elite not capitalist, but feudal.

How will that work out...take a look at the shambles that is the ME and you have your answer. Can they gain the reigns of capitalism...not unless they rapidly reform and if they do reform, then they fall into the secular dynamic that is competition in capitalism. So in a nutshell, this is a failed enterprise but it will cost us...in time...time we could better be employed bringing capitalism to its ultimate thesis and the mechanism for history to continue in its experiment with us as a species. Continue in this unhistoric manner and we will fail...all those prognostications of dohboi/Cyd will come to pass.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 22:21:08

So not only are the incompetents who run many of our countries backing the douchebags in the Gulf States for kickbacks, we are losing out on business networks and of course jobs. So yeah, we get involved in medieval wars, get medieval mindset refugees overwhelming us (and the major culprits in the mayhem in Europe are those refugees from countries heavily connected with the Wahhabi wobblies (Pakistan, Afghanistan (which admittedly was thrown in there by the Cold War stuff), many of the N African states and even Ghadaffi, (who for all the very good work he did, was still a few planks short of a full load.) Syria, (Russia has been very sensible in going in, helping Assad but then sending him a clear message, shape up fellah or we are done carrying you)) and we get to lose critical business networking necessary in a competitive world. Just peachy, innit.:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/interview- ... ia/5517411
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 05:25:03

I am posting this news item here to make a related point. Ideally, a shift away from supplying the West is to be welcomed if only to keep the risk of bribery to a minimum. I cant see the Indians or Chinese quite playing ball with these Gulf States (hahaha, I am sure they will happily take the bribes but errr....delivering....I don't think the delivery will be quite what it should be. Buying is all well and good, but the lobbying gravy train is not quite so comfortable in Beijing or New Delhi):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -addiction
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 06:03:09

Why is the OP against freedom?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 06:47:01

On first reading the title to this thread the US congress came to mind so I was thinking up a "No S#$* Sherlock" comment to respond with. But they have brought up a possible contender and co-conspirator. Might have to do some analysis to determine who is the biggest. :roll:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 09:41:02

Cog wrote:Why is the OP against freedom?

Why is the Cog against laws and regulations? Can't compete on a level playing field?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eugene » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 13:53:37

My amazement is how amazed people are re corruption. It is and always has been a fact of life. Course in the absolutely amazingly wonderful, god fearing country of America it's not corruption. It's lobbying, campaign contributions, subsidies, tax breaks and other terms the masses find "nice".
eugene
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 14:14:18

Shaved Monkey wrote:Quite a lengthy expose of how the corruption works in the oil industry

Its not just the oil industry---its every industry.

Look at the high tech biz----companies like Google and Apple have got the system rigged so they make more money then any corporation in history, but they pay little to nothing in corporate income taxes.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby americandream » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 16:28:32

Plantagenet wrote:
Shaved Monkey wrote:Quite a lengthy expose of how the corruption works in the oil industry

Its not just the oil industry---its every industry.

Look at the high tech biz----companies like Google and Apple have got the system rigged so they make more money then any corporation in history, but they pay little to nothing in corporate income taxes.

Attempts to consolidate, legal as well as clandestine are as much a facet of capitalism as systemic and anti-systemic bugs are a reality of the digestive system.

Not so with ME oil sector corruption. These Arab oil sector related shenanigans, which US Republicans guard especially jealously due to their proxy use (dating back to the days when Reagan feted their extremist proteges as being the moral equivalent of the Founding Fathers) and Democrats of the corruptible or otherwise conservative kind give the nod to, are of an altogether different order to consolidation and are foreign to the objective tendencies in capitalism. Certain elements of the Republican guard who whilst purporting to be free marketeers, yet brazenly displaying their feudal tendencies (and these bizarre creatures can also be found in all races and colours including the Jewish population and are not strictly limited to Nazis or whites with a hardon for the good old days of slavery) obviously find a kindred spirit in these Arab feudalists but it needs to be pointed out to the rest on here....these Arabists and feudalists everywhere often have more in common than they do with capitalists, even the corruptible kind in the Democrat Party.

It will take someone like Trump to take the GOP apart and reassemble it again (as well as cast the spotlight on Democrat corruption), much like a long overdue purgative.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 07:23:26

Corruption as part of Capitalism has been endemic and has just gotten worse over time. The oil industry is just a BIG example because it is a big industry. So the bigger the industry the bigger the corruption. Oh and do not forget the Arms industry, just look back at Iran-contra scandal. This as to be one of the biggest corruption laden industries also. Something should be said about the corrupting influence of arms in the hands of governments that have received arms shipments. This encourages oppression within and aggressiveness abroad.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 09:03:42

I think the Norwegian model would reduce corruption!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35936521

Last July at The Times CEO Summit, David Cameron announced plans to make the top 250 companies in the UK publish the gap between average male and female earnings, in order to try to tackle the gender pay gap.

For the UK, where revealing someone else's tax affairs is a criminal offence, this is a pretty radical step. But for some countries this is nothing new.

In Norway, for instance, everyone has been able to see how much you earn and how much tax you pay since 1814. Until recently the data was only available at the town hall or in expensive printed books, rather like the Yellow Pages, but these days it is all available online.

For newspapers like Dagbladet, one of the top tabloids in Norway, this is a windfall. It can and does report on the lives and loves of the rich and famous just like many newspapers do in other parts of the world.

Nowhere to hide your ill-gotten gains if your "real" income is published.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 19:15:16

All 3 have been released now.
It will be interesting to see what comes of it.
Here is Part 1
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... /#chapter3

Here is part 2
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... /#chapter3

Here is part 3
http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... t-act.html

“Corruption leads to failed states, which leads to terrorism which leads to [threats to] national security,”

Unaoil is a Robin Hood in reverse. On steroids.
It robs the poor of oil-rich nations such as Iraq, Libya, Angola and Iran.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 03:00:02

Again, nothing at all surprising about this story. What did we think that multinational companies are all playing so fair and honest.
The world is overflowing with corruption, how much more so in the biggest industry - the Oil industry. It seems Unaoil is the front company exposing themselves so the big established companies do not have to.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Timo » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 16:41:47

eugene wrote:My amazement is how amazed people are re corruption. It is and always has been a fact of life. Course in the absolutely amazingly wonderful, god fearing country of America it's not corruption. It's lobbying, campaign contributions, subsidies, tax breaks and other terms the masses find "nice".

+1
+10
+100!!!!

BULLSEYE!!!
Timo

Unread postby americandream » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 16:56:12

onlooker wrote:Corruption as part of Capitalism has been endemic and has just gotten worse over time. The oil industry is just a BIG example because it is a big industry. So the bigger the industry the bigger the corruption. Oh and do not forget the Arms industry, just look back at Iran-contra scandal. This as to be one of the biggest corruption laden industries also. Something should be said about the corrupting influence of arms in the hands of governments that have received arms shipments. This encourages oppression within and aggressiveness abroad.

Consolidation is a function of capitalism, not corruption. A capitalist is by definition efficient at accumulating through his capital, NOT through corruption. The corrupt cannot accumulate through extracting labour surplus value so they cheat and lie their way into that stream.

In my job for example, trading is chocka with guys who can't trade if their lives depended on it. The Wolf of Wallstreet is a good example. Put that guy in front of a trading monitor and he would lose his shirt in a second. Put him up before a bunch of pensioners and he would sweet talk them out of their pensions in a sec. He is not a capitalist, he is a feudalist. Feudalists use lies and corruption and falsities like religion to get people to part with their money. Capitalists use an innate skill at innovating and thus extracting labour surplus to prevail.

As the system matures, competition becomes so pervasive that capitalists have to cut costs and wages (deflation) to survive and that destroys the system. Capitalists are no bad, they are innovative revolutionaries who have a sell by date. Feudalists, incompetents are the cancer in our midst...politicians especially who cannot survive in the private sector so they prevail on public money and bribes.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 17:09:58

I hear you AD, but the problem is that the entire system of profiteering attracts those Feudalist types. For every 1 competent Capitalist they're are 10 wanna be Capitalists not so competent. Not only that the perverse influence of money and the desire for it can tempt even the most upright self-made person to cut corners and attain a big payout without much risk or much effort. So when I say corruption is part of Capitalism I mean that the influence of money and what it buys both tangible and intangible (status-power) is an all encompassing and all consuming force that makes people act in unscrupulous and ruthless ways.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 17:45:15

onlooker wrote:I hear you AD, but the problem is that the entire system of profiteering attracts those Feudalist types. For every 1 competent Capitalist they're are 10 wanna be Capitalists not so competent. Not only that the perverse influence of money and the desire for it can tempt even the most upright self-made person to cut corners and attain a big payout without much risk or much effort. So when I say corruption is part of Capitalism I mean that the influence of money and what it buys both tangible and intangible (status-power) is an all encompassing and all consuming force that makes people act in unscrupulous and ruthless ways.

Thats the nature of dialecticism mate. As the system globalises, residual forces from the past will linger and eventually disappear. I mean look at the redneck states and the problems they are experiencing from capitalists in trying to institute Islamic style controls on women and minorities (I call minorities, infidels to drive the point home).

Financial services like trading is damned hard though. To be a full on capitalist as a trader is not easy...there are some good ones out there and as the market in these services becomes more competitive, the banks will be forced to dump the crapshit jockies. I intend to open a brokerage and mate, I plan to shake the industry up...drive those mofos out. Capitalists are coming out...watch and observe. Trump is an interesting case in point. The corrupt mofos are dead afraid of him.

But you gotta make your mind up dude. You cant live in perpetual fear. OK, the planet may be dying...who knows....life still has to be lived.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Bribery in the Energy Market – More than Bags of Cash

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 18:01:15

At the mention of corruption in oil and gas, it’s easy to first think of scandals such as the billion-dollar securities settlement from Brazil’s state-owned oil company Petrobras, but truth is, following the industry downturn, energy service companies remain eager to jump at new opportunities in international markets. With increased competition for these emerging opportunities and business developers looking to distinguish themselves, company employees may look at this as a time to get a little extra for themselves. This can create an environment ripe for bribery, according to Kelly Thorman, who spoke Feb. 27 at a Women’s Energy Network (WEN) luncheon in Houston. Thorman, who serves as managing counsel for global compliance at Parker Drilling, shared information about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). The FCPA was enacted in 1977 and made it “unlawful for certain classes of persons and entities to .

Bribery in the Energy Market – More than Bags of Cash
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics