Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Do I have a right to feel safe?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Do I have a right to feel safe?

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 00:58:37

'Feeling safe' is arguably a state of mental health, up to the point where there is no doubt that safety is lacking, at which point fight or flight takes over- paranoia is rationally trying to pre-empt the actual requirement for instinctual action- so the question is really about that weird area of psych- the over layering of instinct with rationality- which differs in every person & in every situation- so there is no blanket answer to your specific question. The guy might end up being a great dude you missed out on meeting because of your hyper-rationality, or he just might be the 1 in a million & hack you up, ending up on death row for 20 years before a mildly botched execution.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 01:01:13

You have a right to take another job if you don't like the kinds of customers your current job requires you to make sales calls for.

If you're going to base your perceptions of reality on horror movies, don't expect to have exactly accurate perceptions.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 01:23:59

You may think this is freaky but- I have worked (&would do again) in a field called 'forensic mental health'. All clients have done very serious crimes, but have a diagnosis prohibiting prosecution. Often I have been in 1 on 1 situations from Friday night to Monday morning, with clients who on average once every few weeks do their very darnedest to damage persons or property. I could write a book about the crap that went on, but my point is more about mitigated risk.
In these situations, I had a 'safe room' with a one way locking heavy door, 3 methods of communication, authority to flee & call police at any time. We were taught to expect atrocious behaviour & hired on the basis of being able to keep cool & effectively communicate. Standard pay is over $1k AUD for a weekend, demand for experienced workers is huge. I am a person who trusts my instincts, having learned a lot in my gypsy life, but I need money & I'm OK with calculated risk. If plane tickets & rice were free I would never work for money again.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 02:06:55

Therapy works good.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 02:44:52

You should move to a state like Maryland or Hawaii. You won't have to worry about anyone being armed except for the criminals. That should make you feel a lot safer.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 04:04:40

If it makes you feel any better, the survivalist/prepper, whose home you service, is probably more worried about you then you are of him. When I have a service technician come to my house, I generally make sure my preps and guns are well concealed.

So what does this dude do exactly that makes you feel paranoid? Does he hover around while you work or what?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 06:04:40

Baha, I was referring to po.com therapy lol ;)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 07:58:04

baha - You make some valid points. But answer this: it's 2 AM and you hear someone kicking in your front door: would you rather be armed or unarmed at that point? Of course the reality is that you're much more likely to be killed by a drunk driver then a home invader. But that doesn't change the validity of my question...armed or unarmed?

At one time I used to teach firearm safety. Trust me: there are lots of folks out there, regardless of training, that shouldn't be armed. I refused to train a number of them after some profiling. Are you one of those folks who would be dangerous if armed? From what you've said probably not. But once again: if you or someone you loved had life threatened would you rather be armed or not? Likewise there are a lot of folks out there (especially those with drinking problems) that shouldn't be allowed to drive. So what would be safer for all of us: banning guns or banning bad drivers? Obviously banning bad drivers would save many more lives then banning guns, right? So setting knee jerk emotions aside which would you vote for first: banning firearms or bad drivers?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 10:45:35

ROCKMAN wrote:baha - You make some valid points. But answer this: it's 2 AM and you hear someone kicking in your front door: would you rather be armed or unarmed at that point? Of course the reality is that you're much more likely to be killed by a drunk driver then a home invader. But that doesn't change the validity of my question...armed or unarmed?

This scenario is likely the number one reason why people want to own a handgun for self defense. The gun lobby likes to project the idea that we'd all be safer if everyone was armed. All I see is the potential for a dispute between two people to escalate to an exchange of gun fire, or for someone to misread a situation and unnecessarily kill someone. Even police officers who are trained to deal with confrontational situations sometimes overreact. There's also the toll of accidental shootings related to having loaded, unsecured handguns in the home.

I'm happier living where ownership of handguns is heavily restricted. It means I can't buy a handgun for self defense, but it also means that in the unlikely event that someone breaks into my home they aren't likely to be armed either. The statistics are clearly on my side -- the incidence of gun related deaths is far lower in Canada than it is in the US.

My father-inlaw was having dinner with business colleagues in a private room in a restaurant somewhere in the US. A group of thieves came in and took all their wallets. Afterwards one of the men seated beside him pulled out a handgun and said he could have shot the thieves. My father-inlaw thought this was a ridiculous statement -- if anyone had brought out a handgun there would have been an exchange of gun fire and people would have been injured or killed. To risk injury or death made no sense because everyone could easily replace what had been stolen from them.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby C8 » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:11:36

You do not have a right to feel safe. Everybody has differing fears, I feel unsafe driving with people texting on the road. Feelings cannot be the basis of policy. Some fear people who sneeze.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:40:42

Isn't that what your taxes are suppose to be going for? So, not only can you feel safe, but be safe from criminal pursuits? I mean your paying for the protection.
Last edited by Lore on Tue 06 Oct 2015, 12:24:48, edited 1 time in total.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 11:54:28

ROCKMAN wrote:So what would be safer for all of us: banning guns or banning bad drivers? Obviously banning bad drivers would save many more lives then banning guns, right?

Driving is a privilege. You lose it if you drink. Why is not possible to apply this to gun ownership? Owning a gun should not be enshrined in a constitutional amendment but be a privilege that is earned by the very basic set of tests; no mental illness, no felonies. Passing basic background checks, etc.

This is all about exaggerated paranoia over the government. If we allow the government to regulate fire arms this is the first step in the Federal government impinging on my 2nd amendment rights etc.

Lets bring Apneaman's comments over here from the other thread which was spot on.

Apneaman wrote: What I find most amazing, is the screaming about constitutional rights and cold dead hand. Y'all just went through the last 15 years of having almost all your constitutional rights stripped away and sat on your fat asses and did nothing except mumble. Oh but when it comes to the 2nd amendment this is somehow the only one worth screaming about. You have all your guns, more than ever, but no real freedoms left to protect because I guess the game was on or some shit while they were being legislated away.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby davep » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 12:06:31

Amen.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby GHung » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 13:05:04

I'm a bit confused here, Baha. You say you're going to provide a service (what service?). Why would someone be a threat to someone coming to provide a service. Presumably, they either requested, or need, that service.

I worked in utility mapping and assessments which required me to follow power grids and other utilities wherever they led me; accessing rights-of-way onto private property, often unannounced. Ran into all sorts of crazy people and situations. Had to talk down an elderly lady with a shotgun who was afraid I was there to do harm or turn her power off. Walked up on booby-trapped plots of pot, even had a naked woman follow me around while I did my job. Chased by packs of wild dogs; spent most of a morning atop an elevated manhole until I threw my lunch one way and ran the other while they fought over my Bologna sandwiches. Ended up in court after witnessing (and reporting) some guy beating the shit out of his wife, and my partner found a dead guy on a pipeline right-of-way. Sometimes we had to map abandoned utilities into decrepit industrial sites and buildings. All types of scary weirdness there. After the wild dog incident I began carrying my .357, but was attacked by pet dogs on several occasions (not a good idea to shoot people's pets). I love dogs for the most part, so I began carrying treats. Of course, then they would follow me around like I was their best friend.

It was the kind of job where you learn just how many crazy and fucked-up folks there are out there, and how nice others are (and how messed up much of our infrastructure is). That said, I don't ever remember actually being afraid to do my job; too much adventure there. Needless to say, you ( Baha) wouldn't have lasted long.

""I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once." (A mantra of the City of Introspection)
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 06 Oct 2015, 14:51:31

Baha you have the right to BE safe, however your FEELINGS are not relevant to the world outside of yourself. I would FEEL much safer of every corrupt politician were caught, convicted and thrown in prison at hard labor for some long period of time to discourage others. However so long as our current system remains in place my FEELINGS are irrelevant.

So long as this customer is not actually attacking you or overtly attempting to intimidate you into doing something immoral or illegal you are safe, and that is all that is necessary for any two humans to coexist peacefully. If your boss has given you the option of taking an assistant so that you are not alone then do so.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics