Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What effects of political change in US?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

What effects of political change in US?

Unread postby GHung » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 09:49:03

What effects on energy extraction and climate policy will we see as a result of US Republicans gaining control of both houses of Congress and gains in State Governorships/legislatures? Have Americans thumbed their noses at any chance of dealing with our climate and energy predicaments? Is this confirmation of what many of us have already determined; that we'll keep burning stuff and dumping our waste steams into our environment,, until we can't? Does short-term gain trump long-term sapience every time?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: What effects of political change in US?

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:04:26

James Inhofe will be the chairman of the Environment Committee in the Senate. So, we can expect a much more positive agenda on climate change. He has a way of seeing things optimistically:

James Inhofe Says:
"Thus far no one has seriously demonstrated any scientific proof that increased global temperatures would lead to the catastrophes predicted by alarmists. In fact, it appears that just the opposite is true: that increases in global temperatures may have a beneficial effect on how we live our lives.”

See, its a good thing. Stop worrying so much. God wouldn't diss us:

James Inhofe Says:
"My point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.”
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:09:46

But, in general I think this is a good topic to discuss - and watch. It will be very interesting to see the new dynamic - Obamacare, Immigration, Energy, Taxes, Obamacare, - they should all get votes in the house and at least debate in the Senate. Mitch, if he is willing to play the old game of dangling favors in the way of infrastructure projects to a few key dems could get a filibuster proof majority for fairly conservative proposals through for some of these. So, stuff may happen.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Timo » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:12:46

Republican control of both houses will just accelerate the pace of earth's destruction. Ignorance and denial is bliss. While you're tied to the stake and burning in hell, don't worry. Be happy.

We didn't have much of any chance before yesterday's results, but now, i think the lid has been sealed on our coffin.
Timo

Unread postby wildbourgman » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:27:47

I don't think you'll see much in the way of change. The republicans that were elected are fairly moderate and won't take risk because being in power means much more to them than completion of an agenda.

I think you'll see them send Obama several dead on arrival bills that he'll veto, such as ACA (Obamacare) repeal.

You might see a bill that simplifies and lowers corporate tax rates and gives corparations an oppurtunity to repatriate some of their dollars that are overseas. I actually think Senator Obama voted for something like this in 2005. That could possibly pass a veto if they send the same bill he voted "yea" for.

I think you may see a push for the Keystone pipeline and possibly Obama might have to adjust his future picks for open cabinet post and judges, but what can or will the tame republicans in Congress do that they wouldn't have already done ? What's Obama going to do without congress that he wasn't already doing without the consent of congress ?

The only thing I think you may see that is on the horizon if the republicans actually won a bigger majority than they ever expected is to back track on Speaker Boner's admission that impeachment is completely off the table. If I were speaker I would first sue and even impeach the president if he goes against the constitution. I don't know if they have the guts!
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby westexas » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:40:14

westexas
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wildbourgman » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:45:46

westexas wrote:Keystone will probably be built:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/k ... tml?hp=l19

I wonder how todays oil prices will affect the Keystone pipeline if at all ?

Here's one affect of the election I hope for, maybe my republican friends will stop sending out the chain email that says Obama and the democrats are not allowing drilling to take place in North Dakota. Really?
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:57:04

Keystone at this point is passé, with the exception of scoring political points. As we all should be aware of, it really means nothing to jobs and the energy infrastructure. Now, post election, it will be just used as a bargaining chip.

I expect to hear crickets about it after it gets passed. Since none of the importance of it being built as portrayed by those in power will prove out. Page five news in the Main Street media next to the environmental section.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby wildbourgman » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:06:25

Lore, I get what your saying but I know a bunch of contract welders, fitters and inspectors that won't think the keystone pipeline passage is passe'. Heck for some of these guys that never or barely finished high school to make six figure salaries it's really nice.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:11:23

wildbourgman wrote:Lore, I get what your saying but I know a bunch of contract welders, fitters and inspectors that won't think the keystone pipeline passage is passe'. Heck for some of these guys that never or barely finished high school to make six figure salaries it's really nice.

Temporary jobs. If our politicians really wanted to put those people to work with good paying jobs and then some, we'd be rebuilding our infrastructure. A multi trillion dollar project.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Paulo1 » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:17:57

Lore,

Just borrow more money, I suppose? And if they borrow more just what lenders will be left to pay for increased military spending? Wait, I know. They'll just lend the money to themselves from the money tree. Multi-trillion for this, and a few trillion for that, hmmm.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby efarmer » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:19:52

I am tired of blue smoke being blown up my ass, and switching to red smoke again like back in the last decade could be a real game changer. Sometimes I get green smoke blown up there as well, often with the notion it is about the environment, but it is usually green smoke from someone trying to make money.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:21:55

Lore wrote:
wildbourgman wrote:Lore, I get what your saying but I know a bunch of contract welders, fitters and inspectors that won't think the keystone pipeline passage is passe'. Heck for some of these guys that never or barely finished high school to make six figure salaries it's really nice.

Temporary jobs. If our politicians really wanted to put those people to work with good paying jobs and then some, we'd be rebuilding our infrastructure. A multi trillion dollar project.

Yeah, not going to happen. The only government spending that will increase is military. Republicans will focus on tax policy to incentivize the enormous amount of corporate cash to be pushed into the economy through private investment. Maybe grant a tax holiday for foreign held cash to be repatriated.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:27:58

Sometimes the true insignificance of a popular election is overlooked:

KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:29:55

My take:

Obama will take executive action on immigration prior to the next Congress being sworn in. Congress will respond by attempting to create a 'secure' southern border.

Once in session, Congress will act on corporate tax reform; cutting taxes and providing more incentives, especially for the energy sector. Follow-ups will include attempts at cutting social programs and services.

TPP (the Trans-Pacific trade 'partnership)' will become a done deal. It's one thing Republicans and Obama both want - a "super NAFTA". Reid has been stonewalling it in the Senate.

Any appointments Obama attempts to make, especially judicial, will be blocked, even more than in the past. Some appointments may be used as bargaining chips.

Any new executive orders on climate policy will be challenged or circumvented. Any significant movement on climate is dead in the water, at least for now.

Any nuclear agreement with Iran and any movement on lessening sanctions will also be held up. Increased tensions?

Bottom line: We'll be deeper into overshoot mode when Obama leaves office. No surprise there.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby wildbourgman » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 11:40:45

Lore wrote:

Sure it's temporary jobs, the guys I'm talking about love it that way. They go from job to job state to state with owner operated welding trucks these folks wouldn't be caught dead working on most government infrastructure jobs. These folks might hate that type of work more than they hate ship yards and that's saying alot. I'm just bringing up one small group of folks that will enjoy the work that the pipeline will bring. It's not political just a passing remark.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby wildbourgman » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 12:03:18

GHung wrote:My take:

Obama will take executive action on immigration prior to the next Congress being sworn in. Congress will respond by attempting to create a 'secure' southern border.

Once in session, Congress will act on corporate tax reform; cutting taxes and providing more incentives, especially for the energy sector. Follow-ups will include attempts at cutting social programs and services.

TPP (the Trans-Pacific trade 'partnership)' will become a done deal. It's one thing Republicans and Obama both want - a "super NAFTA". Reid has been stonewalling it in the Senate.

Any appointments Obama attempts to make, especially judicial, will be blocked, even more than in the past. Some appointments may be used as bargaining chips.

Any new executive orders on climate policy will be challenged or circumvented. Any significant movement on climate is dead in the water, at least for now.

Any nuclear agreement with Iran and any movement on lessening sanctions will also be held up. Increased tensions?

Bottom line: We'll be deeper into overshoot mode when Obama leaves office. No surprise there.

1. I think any Obama executive action on immigration or anything else that's not legal should be stopped cold, but I don't think the GOP will take it to impeachment even though they should in order to protect the 3 co-equal branches as per design.

2. I think tax reform should take place. NO sector should get incentives from government. Social programs should be reformed or taxes should be raised to pay for them. We should pay for the amount of government we demand or demand less government. How about a balanced budget amendment ?

3. I have no opinion about the trade agreement because I'm ignorant on that topic.

4. The senate should handle their role as far as "advice and consent" is prudent and justified. If they don't want to consent to Obama's judicial picks that's how divided government works. They will have to comprimise.

5. As before any executive orders should have to pass constitutional muster prior to being implemented.

6. I don't see any nuclear agreement with Iran being completed or not completed simply due to this election.

7. I think your absolutely right, due to the Fed, the progressive government "kick the can down the road" philosophy with extensive corporate and social welfare policies "overshoot" in many instances will deepened.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 12:14:05

I understand what you're saying, but the plain fact is the Keystone is being promoted as this great job creator, which it's not. On the other hand there is a lot to dislike about the direction and affects such a project produces. Small group of workers aside.

Don't forget that this is a foreign private project taking advantage of US public and local private rights that far exceeds the temporary job concerns of a few workers.

Now, I wish these guys the best of luck in finding more work for pipe fitters, which I have to imagine there is plenty of right now. Then again historically most of those jobs by a Canadian company were given to Canadian workers.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby IM_Rich » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 12:20:57

More fossil fuel use, more fracking and the right people getting wealthier. :-D
IM_Rich
Wood
Wood

Unread postby wildbourgman » Wed 05 Nov 2014, 12:37:51

Lore, I worry about about individual private property rights being trampled with imminent domian laws especially as crony capitalistism grows. That's one thing that I worry about with the loss of old school democrats that actually were for the little guy they are all corporate and big government elite now. That's why I say that the grass roots of the Tea Party and Occupy wall street had alot in common and barely knew it.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics