Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Russian TV says Russia could turn US to 'radioactive ash'

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Russian TV says Russia could turn US to 'radioactive ash'

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 02:10:33

State TV says Russia could turn US to 'radioactive ash'

Moscow (AFP) - A leading anchor on Russian state television on Sunday described Russia as the only country capable of turning the United States into "radioactive ash", in an incendiary comment at the height of tensions over the Crimea referendum.

"Russia is the only country in the world realistically capable of turning the United States into radioactive ash," anchor Dmitry Kiselyov said on his weekly news show on state-controlled Rossiya 1 television.

Kiselyov made the comment to support his argument that the United States and President Barack Obama were living in fear of Russia led by President Vladimir Putin amid the Ukraine crisis.

His programme was broadcast as the first exit polls were being published showing an overwhelming majority of Crimeans voting to leave Ukraine and join Russia.

He stood in his studio in front of a gigantic image of a mushroom cloud produced after a nuclear attack, with the words "into radioactive ash".

"Americans themselves consider Putin to be a stronger leader than Obama," he added, pointing to opinion polls which then popped up on the screen.

"Why is Obama phoning Putin all the time and talking to him for hours on end?" he asked.

Kiselyov has earned a reputation as one of Russia's most provocative television news hosts, in particularly with his often blatantly homophobic remarks.

But he is also hugely influential with his weekly news show broadcast at Sunday evening prime time.

Putin last year appointed Kiselyov head of the new Russia Today news agency that is to replace the soon to be liquidated RIA Novosti news agency with the aim of better promoting Russia's official position.

Kiselyov also made great play of Russia's so-called "dead hand" capability to fire nuclear-capable intercontinental missiles automatically in the case of attack.

The system, also known as Perimeter, was in use during the Cold War but its use in post-Soviet Russia is not officially confirmed.

But Kiselyov appeared to claim it remained active
, giving Russia the chance to strike back even if its main command positions were taken out in a strike by the West.

"Even if people in all our command posts after an enemy atomic attack cannot be contacted, the system will automatically fire our missiles from mines and submarines in the right direction," he added.

The channel's graphic showed the line of a Russian missile heading towards the Pacific coast and the United States.

Pro-opposition news site slon.ru did not mince its words in describing the implications of Kiselyov's comments.

"This evening... Dmitry Kiselyov threatened the United States with a nuclear strike if the conflict over Crimea deepens," it said.

Russia and the United States are reducing their Cold War missile and nuclear warhead arsenals under the terms of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty that entered into force in 2011.
http://news.yahoo.com/state-tv-says-russia-could-turn-us-radioactive-212003397.html

Thoughts, anyone?

New York Times blog has these tweets:

Leonid Ragozin @leonidragozin
Kiselev is not your average moron. He is Russia's most senior government media executive, essentially minister of propaganda.

Kiselev then talks abt Russia's 'dead hand' system that will destroy America automatically after all Russians are dead.

Kiselev claims a publication about "Perimeter" - the Russian nuclear extermination system - prompted Obama's frantic calls to Kremlin in Jan
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/russia-could-still-turn-the-u-s-into-radioactive-dust-news-anchor-in-moscow-reminds-viewers/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

My thoughts? I know Russians are loving this, seeing the US and the West "squirm," but this isn't a game and they ought to cool it -- if this goes that far, a Russian first strike, then Russia will be gone too.

The popular news commentator doesn't seem to mention that part.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Russian TV says Russia could turn US to 'radioactive ash

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 05:42:45

This looks like a Russian Glen Beck.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 05:59:40

Ibon wrote:This looks like a Russian Glen Beck.

The guy is an outright propaganda thrower.

Interestingly, he is apparently in the list of visa-ban sanctions. Meaning - sanctions for the expression of the views, i.e. for the "freedom of speech", even if propaganda.

Re the "Perimeter" ("Dead Hand") installations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_ ... ear_war%29

A similar automatic retaliation system called the "Doomsday Machine" features prominently in the movie Dr. Strangelove. The system depicted there is however completely automatic, and impossible to shut down. Thus, an American nuclear bomb dropped by accident on the Soviet Union causes an automatic reaction. This would, however, not be a nuclear-retaliation in the sense of launching nuclear weapons against America, but the detonation of 50 large cobalt bombs buried on Soviet territory intended to create a "Doomsday shroud" of deadly radioactive fallout that would encircle the Earth and extinguish all life.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 07:05:51

radon1 wrote:The guy is an outright propaganda thrower.

Thank you for being responsible and a voice of reason.

I'm a bit concerned here. It all seems like a Foxnews thing, a lot of people watch Russia's Channel 1, people getting so pumped up for war, and this is way way over the top and worse than anything that's ever been on foxnews or American tv.

I saw a story somewhere about Russian intellectuals getting criticized by Russia's "foxnews" pro war crowd. I can't find the link. But here's what some anti-war Russians have to say:

Russian Intellectuals Slam Crimean Occupation

Mikhail Ugarov, a founder of Moscow's feisty Teatr.doc, responded to the news that playwright Mikhail Durnenkov and director Yury Muravitsky were among the 360 people arrested Sunday at an anti-war protest, posted this text: "Soon there will not be a single person at Teatr.doc who has not been tried in court …"

Durnenkov himself wrote the following after his release from custody several hours after his arrest: "I am fine and I am going home now. I will have something to tell [my son] Matvei someday. I was thinking — I am an artist and, in principle, I should sing. But history and the times have prepared for me the role of a crow. All I can do is squawk. There is no other art right now but squawking. And in some sense, in the sense of unborn flourishing gardens that we could be cultivating, this is very sad."

Olga Darfy is a playwright and director who has worked at Teatr.doc and the Playwright and Director Center. Here is what she wrote:

"I am a citizen of the Russian Federation and I currently live in Crimea. It so happens that I am an occupier. But I have the distinct impression that aggressors have occupied this land. It has begun. In the skies are the sounds of fighter planes. Such silly nonsense, it is impossible to work."

"Yes, of course the Yankees will arm the Ukrainians, yes, and in Russia all monies will now be wasted on war instead of social programs. We will kill each other awhile. And what will come of it? Putin is a thug for hire. No to war! And no to war on Facebook!"

Natalya Vorozhbyt is a Ukrainian-born, Russian-language playwright who lives in Kiev.

"How we all have been squeezed … for the last five years or so! You and us, too. There was a time when I lived in a different Moscow. And I lived in a different Ukraine. I could breathe and not fear. I do not want to live with memories of freedom. I don't want to and I will not. When injustice is so huge, how can we not be victorious? It is now so big that even a blind person could spit at it and hit the mark."

"Of course, we are talking here about revenge for Maidan," Shenderovich said, "but primarily it is the reflex of a hyena. Ukraine, largely thanks precisely to Putin's aggressive policies, found itself defenseless in a matter of moments, torn into political shards, and lacking in legitimate power. It is the perfect time to attack! He will bite off as much as he can and then, of course, will retreat a little. The impotence of the West will allow him to be bold for the time being."

"Naturally he wants to go down in history as the 'alpha-male,' the author of the partitioning, and he wants it to be as triumphant as possible. But he seriously lacks an adequate grip on things. One gets the sense that the Olympics, victoriously shaken from his shoulders, have completely fogged his mind. Today he holds God by the beard and thrills in it. Alas, he is incapable of making sense of historical parallels, beginning with that same Crimean War. He was taught the wrong lessons."
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/arts_n_ideas/article/russian-intellectuals-slam-crimean-occupation/495567.html

Russians should write more and war less. That's some gorgeous writing:

I was thinking — I am an artist and, in principle, I should sing. But history and the times have prepared for me the role of a crow. All I can do is squawk. There is no other art right now but squawking.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dissident » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 09:33:41

Somebody needs to remind the self-anointed masters of the Earth in Washington and Brussels that their lies and whims will not create reality. The western media does not even acknowledge the existence of Dmitro Yarosh and pretends that the Crimean majority wants to be loyal to the Kiev regime. Naturally, the Kosovo precedent is dismissed as "special". But only "special" people would fall for this BS. So there is no room for diplomacy and compromise, only the language of power can be heard by the west.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:17:06

At least it wasn't Putin saying something like:
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:11:28

This situation probably represents one of the big down sides to the www. Any report, be it from a major new agency or a local TV story can be distributed around the world in seconds. And depending on the viewer might be taking as a true characterization of the situation. And often such stories are designed strictly for local consumption. Imagine some of the truly asinine speeches made by both sides of the Congress in the late night ramblings form "the floor of the US Senate" being taken as representative of the US govt’s position on the subject matter.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:26:41

Don't worry 6. If Russia turns the USA into radioactive ash Obama will give a speech and call Putin on the phone and then two weeks later announce travel sanctions against a dozen Russians in Putin's inner circle to show Putin how concerned we are. :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rollin » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 13:00:22

A Russian blowhard. Completely irresponsible to broadcast such ideas. If Russia is going to start acting like the Soviet Union again, they will come up against those who can turn them to ash.

This is not a war, it is a description of total annihilation. No one wins a full out nuclear attack, no one. If you think your safe on that island or far from the nuclear countries, your not. You will be dead within a year and guaranteed all dead in under a decade. You do not have to hit or be near a nuclear explosion to be killed. It just takes longer, although not much.

As fallout spreads around the globe, nuclear winter will produce up to a decade of minimal sunlight. No crops and everything becomes radioactive anyway. Best to go the day of the attack.
And if you think not being near a city will give you an advantage, think twice. Since the early 1960's strategic high altitude bursts have been planned. No you don't get killed by the shockwave, but the firestorm, as everything bursts into flame in a radius of 25 to 75 miles per bomb, will get you just the same.

So anyone promoting nuclear war, especially between those with fusion devices, is totally insane or totally ignorant.
Once in a while the peasants do win. Of course then they just go and find new rulers, you think they would learn.
rollin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Fishman » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 13:45:38

"He is Russia's most senior government media executive, essentially minister of propaganda."
Now for us, would that be the head of MSNBC of just Chris Mathews?
As to the post quoting Reagan, it was just a joke, but then the Soviet Union crumbled didn't it? Kasparov today stated that Carter was a Churchill compared to our present One.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AndyA » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 16:07:01

This is a clear and real threat, it has obviously come from Vladimir Vladimirovich the evil tyrant dictator. The US should not hesitate to attack, the US has the second best anti missile system in the world and any exchange would be short lived. If Obama is too busy playing golf we should replace him with this true patriot.
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 19:20:34

The US should not hesitate to attack, the US has the second best anti missile system in the world and any exchange would be short lived

Really....!!!

Guys and gals, global thermonuclear war is a real possibility. The nukes are real. The intercontinental missiles are real, the hair trigger response systems are real. Those who die in the thermonuclear war will be the lucky ones. Seriously folks do we really want WWIII this week?

Lets think this through again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... LaAwI#t=13
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Loki » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 20:05:23

Repent wrote:Seriously folks do we really want WWIII this week?

This week is bad for me, I have to wait for my paycheck to clear. How about next week?
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 17 Mar 2014, 22:34:03

Also, "The Road to World War 3"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7L8bw5QF4
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Tue 18 Mar 2014, 20:38:22

It's heating up.
bbc.com wrote:Ukraine officer 'killed in attack on Crimea base'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26637296

Ukraine's military says an officer has been killed in an attack on a base in Crimea, the first such death since pro-Russia forces took control in February. Ukraine has now authorized its troops to fire in self-defence.

An eyewitness told the BBC that armed men arrived in two unmarked vehicles, storming the base in Simferopol and firing automatic weapons. The Ukrainian government said a junior officer who was on duty in a park inside the base had been killed and another officer injured. A third serviceman had leg and head injuries after being beaten with iron bars, it said. The government said the commander of the unit was captured by men wearing Russian uniforms.

Interim Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk told an emergency government meeting: "The conflict is shifting from a political to a military stage."
"Russian soldiers have started shooting at Ukrainian military servicemen and that is a war crime."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 18 Mar 2014, 21:03:14

I doubt that the death of a single soldier will lead to nuclear war. It was insane last time, and it still is.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby steam_cannon » Tue 18 Mar 2014, 23:48:52

Graeme wrote:I doubt that the death of a single soldier will lead to nuclear war. It was insane last time, and it still is.

No of course one death would not lead to nuclear war. But that death and attack, the order to "Ukraine... authorized its troops to fire in self-defence" and other reports like the reports of captured spetsnaz in the east suggests that the Russian caused situation in Ukraine is still not stabilizing.
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 00:07:03

rollin wrote:Russia is going to start acting like the Soviet Union again, they will come up against those who can turn them to ash.

It's worse than that, Russia is acting like a 1950's Soviet Union. A Russian Empire on the move, expanding, aggressive and a lil' crazy, and scaring us.

The latter Soviet Union was more interested in stability. They were responsible. Gorbachev wouldn't have done any of these things Putin has.

EDIT: sh*t I'm wrong. lol. Looking at latest news, Gorby's let us down too:

Mikhail Gorbachev Hails Putin's Annexation of Crimea

Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev came out in public support of Vladmir Putin's takeover of Crimea. He described the annexation as a "happy event." In reference to Sunday's referendum Gorbachev said, the "people really wanted to return to Russia."

This has to hurt an American Left who have dishonestly or ignorantly hailed Gorbachev as the real hero of the Cold War at the expense of Ronald Reagan. But if you know anything about the real Gorbachev his support for Putin is not at all surprising.
To his core, Gorbachev is and always has been a faithful Marist-Leninist. Hoping to counteract the massive military, diplomatic, and public relations pressure Reagan put on the Soviet Union, Gorbachev ignorantly believed he could save communism in his country through minor reforms.

What Gorbachev didn't understand is that the Marxist-Leninist philosophy is a Jenga tower that cannot survive even a single piece being removed. Without an oppressive, terrorist state the folly that is communism cannot survive. One whiff of freedom and the whole thing comes down.

Gorbachev is no progressive human rights reformer, he's a communist bungler who bungled his way into history. And an American media and Left that was all-too desperate to strip Reagan of any credit, were all-too willing to play along. Gorbachev's public support of Putin's gangsterism is just more proof of that.
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/03/18/Mikhail-Gorbachev-Hails-Putin-s-Annexation-of-Crimea

That's strange. He's spoken out against Putin quite a bit, over the years:

An Ailing Gorbachev Makes a Fierce Attack on Putin and His Restrictions
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/world/europe/gorbachev-attacks-putin-and-his-restrictions.html?_r=0
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Strummer » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 07:11:32

Sixstrings wrote:A Russian Empire on the move, expanding, aggressive and a lil' crazy, and scaring the US

Fixed that for you :) As a sidenote, I live in a former communist country, bordering on Ukraine, and no one here is scared of Russian expansion, except for the pro-US media shills.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 19 Mar 2014, 07:57:31

steam_cannon wrote:It's heating up.
bbc.com wrote:Ukraine officer 'killed in attack on Crimea base'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26637296

They are saying now that an unknown gunman opened fire on both the Ukrainian army unit and the "pro-Russian" positions, and he killed one Ukrainian and one "pro-Russian" soldier, and wounded one more on either side.

The local attorney office opened a criminal investigation (translator needed):

http://www.interfax.ru/russia/365755
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics