Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Board members in Asia.

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Board members in Asia.

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 07 Oct 2009, 23:47:39

So far only Iowem and I are the only regular posters in Asia.
I would like to see a lot more Asian and Asian expat input on this site.
Asia generally is a very important part of overall economic and energy dynamics. In my time here as a poster I have seen almost nothing coming from PNG, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, The Koreas or Japan; and that's just South East Asia.

We have a new board member Jane Word; who unfortuantely shares her name with our friendly bot mascot here. But Jane is actually real and has spent many years working in the poorest countries in S.E Asia.
I hope Jane can tell us something about what is happening in these countries; how they have been affected by events over the last couple of years?

Any lurkers in this part of the world are encouraged to speak up.
Iowem and I get lonely here sometimes!
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Board members in Asia.

Unread postby sparky » Thu 08 Oct 2009, 01:18:24

Do you take Australia as part of Asia ?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby janeword » Thu 08 Oct 2009, 09:20:33

I no longer live in Asia. I'm home in Kentucky. But I taught English in Thailand for three and a half years. I also traveled extensively in the area, as I had to leave evwery three months to extend mty visa.

I was a "Social Security Volunteer" in Thailand, but I had been in Peace Corps in Solomon Islands and Albania. I've also served as an election supervisor in Bosnia.

I'm "janeword" because my first name is Jane and I'm a writer, and in the beginning was the word. I've had that name since I went on the internet about 15 years ago.
janeword
[
Today's readers are tomorrow's leaders.
janeword
Wood
Wood

Unread postby americandream » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 02:24:49

Well, its certainly closer to Asia than Europe if thats what you're inferring. If you're a Europhobe, why the heck did you move down under, mate?
sparky wrote:Do you take Australia as part of Asia ?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 02:25:44

Peace Corp. 8O
janeword wrote:I no longer live in Asia. I'm home in Kentucky. But I taught English in Thailand for three and a half years. --snip-- I was a "Social Security Volunteer" in Thailand, but I had been in Peace Corps in Solomon Islands and Albania. I've also served as an election supervisor in Bosnia.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 02:34:22

I too get a chuckle each time I hear someone mention that strange agency title. Funny stuff.... :)
(No, I'm not talking about the excellent volunteer work well intentioned and good people perform)
americandream wrote:Peace Corp. 8O
janeword wrote:I no longer live in Asia. I'm home in Kentucky. But I taught English in Thailand for three and a half years. --snip-- I was a "Social Security Volunteer" in Thailand, but I had been in Peace Corps in Solomon Islands and Albania. I've also served as an election supervisor in Bosnia.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Maddog78 » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 07:19:28

I lived in Kuala Lumpur in 85/86 and travelled extensively through Thailand, Malaysia including Sarawak and Sabah, Singapore, Brunei, Viet Nam, Hong Kong and the Phillipines in 91/92.

I loved the area. I'd like to go back sometime and see the changes.
:)
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sjn » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 09:05:54

I'm sure part of the reason is the lack of IPv6 connectivity to the site, it's my understanding many parts of Asia are IPv6 only, unlike here in the West where the uptake has been amusingly slow given the IPv4 addresses run out next year... :roll:
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby lowem » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 19:47:44

sjn wrote:I'm sure part of the reason is the lack of IPv6 connectivity to the site, it's my understanding many parts of Asia are IPv6 only, unlike here in the West where the uptake has been amusingly slow given the IPv4 addresses run out next year... :roll:

I haven't heard anything of IPv6 on my end, not at least till the FTTH project (OpenNet) gets rolled out later this year and into next year. In any case, IPv6-only clients ought to be able to proxy through to IPv4 servers, it's the other way round that's slightly more complicated.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 20:59:17

I doubt the technical issue too. It's not hard to find savvy networkers.
I suspect the 2 main reasons for lack of developing world input here are:

1/ Almost total media blackout of peak oil related issues. I was here in Philippines throughout the worst of the financial crisis (including oil price spike) last year/ early this year and watching TV news commentary never heard the term once. I suspect this is the same in most of ASEAN.

2/ Outside of Singapore it's not very easy to find good bookshops. There is very little if any book review media. Most people can't afford books.

If one has heard of peak oil and begun to grasp it's importance, this site is easy to find. If one has never heard the term (like most people where I live here) why would one seach for it?

Another reason I have discovered here recently is the often very limited utilitarian use of internet. Kids use it to play games and do friendster/ myspace. Professionals use it for business in a very narrow way. I have several times been in stuations where a business person or Doctor has a question to answer and an internet connection but don't twig that they could answer the question in a minute for free on a tool they have.
This is part cultural cringe, where experts want to be seen as the expert not having to ask for advice from anyone. partly English as second language issues. The net has not taken off as a research tool to the extent it has in the west; nowhere near it.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Mudpuppy » Fri 09 Oct 2009, 21:39:48

Been living in Japan for the past 6 years. Probably continue to for a while yet.
Mudpuppy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby sparky » Sat 10 Oct 2009, 17:59:34

Americandream , I'm not Europhobe :-) I left Europe for the same reasons youg men leave their mummy, to get a life
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sat 10 Oct 2009, 19:32:41

Then grow up. Leave mummy at home.
sparky wrote:.
Americandream , I'm not Europhobe :-) I left Europe for the same reasons youg men leave their mummy , to get a life.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 10 Oct 2009, 20:59:24

One factor here I thought to mention.
When the oil price went through the roof last year, prices for consumables rose to reflect the cost difference almost immediately. Bus fares, taxi fares, rice, fruit vegetables and meat all went up by a proportion reflecting the cost of production virtually overnight. When oil went down again there was an inventory lag, but prices did go back to reflect the oil price again, very quickly.
This in an economy where most food only travels less than 100km.
With wages averaging 1/20th of those in the USA we are still paying world parity prices for energy.
The lack of expensive business infrastructure in provincial areas means business is more flexible; not dominated by inertia the way western business is.
The average private vehicle being a 125cc motor cycle or tricycle makes the place far more efficient than even high tech enclaves in the west.
Almost nobody uses airconditioning in private homes, fans are ubiquitous.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby turner » Sun 11 Oct 2009, 11:15:11

I live in HK and have never heard PO mentioned, although you can certainly buy books about it in the shops.

For the average person, the price of oil is only really a factor when filling up the tank. Mostly people don't equate food and other costs with oil because they don't realise the degree of oil input. Since most Hongkongers don't own a car petrol cost is not an issue and therefore there seems to be little focus on either price or supply. Anyway, people are too busy making a living and getting their kids educated to be bothered with such issues! I suspect that this attitude is not confined to China, and that fulfillment of more immediate personal/family needs reigns supreme throughout Asia.
turner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lowem » Tue 13 Oct 2009, 10:46:27

turner wrote:I suspect that this attitude is not confined to China, and that fulfillment of more immediate personal/family needs reigns supreme throughout Asia.

Yes that would fit right in with Maslow. And there's this saying about filling your stomach before worrying about the rest of the world, or something to that effect, excuse my mangling of some Chinese proverb et al.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 03:59:52

for general interest , from" the people daily "official organ of the CCP

on natural gas in China
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9077 ... 23672.html

They quote the IEA so must have some ideas about peak oil .

sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics