Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Kuwait Thread (merged)

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

The Kuwait Thread (merged)

Unread postby sulayman » Mon 11 Oct 2004, 06:16:44

This is an interesitng one as the Kuwaiti's are trying to make it sound like they have excess capabilities when really the amount they are going to increase production by and the fact that it is targetted for 2020 really shows how desperate the situation is. The fact that it will also be more expensive oil with a lower EROEI.

link
"Our main objective is to reach at least four million barrels a day of production capacity by 2020 and most of this extra output will be from heavy oil,'' Farouk al-Zanki, chairman of Kuwait Oil Co., said in an interview in Abu Dhabi with Bloomberg News. "We expect heavy oil production to reach 900,000 barrels a day at full capacity.''
Heavy, or sour, oil is higher in sulfur and less viscous than sweet crude, making it more expensive for refiners to process into marketable products such as gasoil, naphtha, and gasoline.

A little bit extra, may be a little too late.
sulayman
Wood
Wood

Review of 1991 Kuwait Oil Fields Suggests Production Capacit

Unread postby tdrive » Mon 03 Jan 2005, 18:50:30

The report estimates that 4-6 Mbl/day were burning out of uncapped wells, suggesting
that Kuwaiti production capacity could be expanded beyond the current 2 Mbl/day...

Firstly, that was 14 years ago. Secondly, actually, you cannot push the
wellheads that much, since under uncontrollable conditions
the water drives will bypass and close large portions of the oil tables
forever. The oil will flow at 4-6 mbpd for some time, then only water
will come out, and the reservoir will be permanently gone.

If you read the report carefully, you will find that analysis already being done there:

...AND POSSIBLE PERMANENT LOSS OF RESERVOIR PRODUCTIVITY...
...SOME ON THE EDGES OF THE MAIN FIELDS ARE BEGINNING TO EMIT WHITE SMOKE,
INDICATING THAT THEY ARE PRODUCING LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER....

Cheers,
tdrive
Lignite
Lignite

Kuwait to produce 40mbpd in 2020

Unread postby nth » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 11:38:26

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/do ... 430754.htm

WTF?!

Saudi Arabia is predicted to produce 25mbpd in 2020 by US agencies, yet Saudi politicians said they will not want to produce more than 15mbpd, cuz anything more will require too much infrastructure and other environmentally related issues to be resolved.

Yet, this news article is quoting Kuwaiti's saying 40mbpd?
Let's forget if Kuwait has that much oil to produce that much. Let's say technology is available to produce that much.
What kind of infrastructure does Kuwait need?
It needs how many ports?
It needs how many oil riggs?
It needs how many oil tankers?
Just these three things- they won't be able to get in sufficient quantities.

Have I read wrong?
Is there others who can find Kuwait's officials backing this 40mbpd claim?
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Taskforce_Unity » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 11:45:38

They are talking about 4 mb/d, got the number wrong with a factor 10...
Taskforce_Unity
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Bubbling_Crude » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 11:54:00

http://www.kuwait-toplist.com/info/oilsector.htm

In 1994, the Oil Minister announced that Kuwait has the capacity to pump 2 million barrels per day and that he is targeting a capacity of 2.5 million barrels a day. At these production rates, the proven oil reserves are estimated to be able to last for another two hundred years.

I get about 107 years, based on their current 'proven' reserve figure of 98 billion barrels and a linear extraction rate of 2.5Mbpd.

2.5Mbpd is about 3% of current global usage, 81 million barrels. 4Mbpd would put it at 5%.
Bubbling_Crude
Peat
Peat

Unread postby nth » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 11:59:38

Taskforce_Unity wrote:They are talking about 4 mb/d, got the number wrong with a factor 10...

You read it somewhere that they are talking about 4?

4 makes more sense, but that hardly will satisfy China's appetite. :(
They are talking about 25% of their production going to China, so 4 will mean just 1mbpd.
40 will mean 10mbpd... if it is 10mbpd, then China will be happy. haha
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FoxV » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 12:39:05

he Kuwaiti oil company has vowed to increase its daily crude production capacity to 40 million barrels by 2020, and also expand its crude exports.

the 40mbpd is in the article, but I think its just typical reporter typo (they often screw up Million and Billion as well). I'm sure they mean 4mbpd
Angry yet?
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SidneyTawl » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 17:13:55

This is a typo.

I just watched a spokesman named Al Harami (speeling my be off) state these figures during a live interview on "Business Arabia" on CNBC.

He said they wanted to raise production to 3 million and then onto 4 million by 2010. Heard it with my own ears. He spoke in English, there was not a translator.

(edited for clarification LOL)
SidneyTawl
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby nth » Thu 07 Apr 2005, 17:46:24

Yeah it is 4mbpd.
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Has Kuwait stolen Iraqi oil?

Unread postby advancedatheist » Thu 28 Jul 2005, 23:53:32

BP's latest statistics indicate that Kuwait's oil "production" increased fifty percent in a year.

I find this unlikely, so I suspect Kuwait has helped itself to some of Iraq's oil and sold it as its own. Has anyone else noticed this odd fact?
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 22:35:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Kuwait Thread.
"There was a time before reason and science when my ancestors believed in all manner of nonsense." Narim on <I>Stargate SG-1</i>.
advancedatheist
Peat
Peat

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 00:11:28

WEll, in the last day or two, I saw a very interesting picture and story about general Iraqi citizens who were very upset with Kuwait's new border fence and were trying to tear it down...by hand...because it was set up into Iraqi territory. That story also related how some Iraqi wells had been expropriated by Kuwait. I'll try and find the story.
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 00:14:17

KUWAIT: IRAQ PROPOSES COMMITTEE TO SETTLE BORDER DISPUTE
Baghdad, 28 July (AKI) - The Iraqi foreign minister, Hoshyar Zebari, has proposed the setting up of an expert committee formed of Iraqis and Kuwaitis, to establish the exact demarcation of the border between the two countries. The suggestion follows angry protests along the border in the last few days by Iraqis who say that Kuwait is putting up a metal border barrier on their territory. In a news conference in Baghdad with the US ambassador Zalmay Khalizad, Zebari defined relations between Iraq and Kuwait as "good", stressing that the recent trouble has "not tarnished our bilateral relations."

Earlier in the week hundreds of Iraqis were reported to have torn down part of the metal barrier at the Iraqi border town of Umm Qasr. There were also reports of shots being fired into Kuwait. The Kuwait authorities responded by asserting that the barrier is inside Kuwait territory and is in line with UN resolution 833, adopted in 1993, which demarcates the borders between the two countries. The proposal of setting up a special committee is designed to resolve the dispute.

"We are discussing the issue with the Kuwaiti authorities," Zebari said, thanking the citizens of the emirate for standing by the Iraqis and providing assistance. "We don't want to assault anybody nor anybody to attack it," he said.

Bilateral relations between Iraq and Kuwait broke down in 1990 after Saddam Hussein's troops invaded the tiny oil-rich state exactly fifteen years ago next week. They were restarted last August when Iraqi's interim prime minister, Iyad Allawi, visited Kuwait City. In June the two neighbours agreed to open up embassies in each other's countries one more
adnki
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 00:19:31

Iraqis fire shots into Kuwait to protest border barrier: report

Iraqis have fired several shots into Kuwait in protest against a metal barrier Kuwait is building along the border between the two countries, the Arab Times reported Thursday.

A Kuwaiti official, who declined to be identified, was quoted as saying that the bullets were fired by a group of about 40 Iraqis demonstrating on the Iraqi side of the Kuwait-Iraq border on Wednesday.

He said there were no injuries and the Kuwaiti border guards did not return fire.

The official said the situation at the border was now "calm" and construction of the barrier, which aims to stop vehicles from illegally crossing the desert frontier, is ongoing.

Hundreds of Iraqis had gathered Sunday and Monday at the border area of Umm Qasr to demand the project be stopped.

People's Daily

That picture was worth a thousand words...and the reference to the oil wells captured by Kuwait...I'll keep looking...harder to find than I thought.

Man! Where the heck did that article go? I can easily find the 'official' line (that Iraqis protested at the border to prevent insurgents from infiltrating, and how Kuwait was beefing up their border security, but NADA, ZIP, ZILCH on the report that I had seen with a picture of ordinary Iraqis who were ticked off and pulling down a metal fence by hand on what they viewed as Iraqi territory, and which included info on what I recall as about a dozen Iraqi wells that Kuwait is now producing from.

Can anyone else find what I am referring to?
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 08:20:15

Wasn't the same kind of theft (by horizontal drilling) the pretext that Sadam used to invade Kuwait back in '91?

Nope. Iraq was simply reclaiming territory, their 19th province, lost when the borders were arbitrarily drawn up by the British about a hundred years ago and internationally recognized when Kuwait gained independence from UK in 1961. Iraq has been clammoring to regain their lost territory since then.

The horizontal drilling excuse was primarily for PR purposes, but the US had a stronger PR machine and, at least for now, Kuwait remained 'independant' with the USA guarding their border.
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jake_old » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 08:21:28

Yes pstarr, that was the myth, or maybe it was true but the real reason for Saddam invading was because Kuwait were pruducing way over the quota, bringing the price of oil down meaning it was unprofitable for Iraq to produce.

It was the start of his undoing.

Saddam was sure not very clever, but there was reasoning behind his insanity.

Edit: Ok and a little of what eastbay said too, but that was the justification to his own people.
Jake_old
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Doly » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 09:56:29

RedJake wrote:Saddam was sure not very clever, but there was reasoning behind his insanity.

Saddam may not have been very clever by consistently underestimating the efforts the US would do to make him stay in line. But his oil politics, from an Iraqi point of view, weren't insane at all. Just selfish.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jake_old » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 10:12:18

But his oil politics, from an Iraqi point of view, weren't insane at all. Just selfish.

Not too sure about this, jury still out for me. I think he may have been driven to the point of insanity over a long time because of his overinflated self image.

Did you mean personally selfish os selfish on behalf of Iraq?

I have only read 2 books about Iraq, both by Said K Aburish, so have only read a slanted view, as well as mainstream simplification.

Invading Kuwait was an incredibly stupid thing to do, certainly displays a lack of tact.

Its a fascinating subject, acts of genius alongside acts of apparent insanity.
Jake_old
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 16:42:06

Kuwait will once again be a part of Greater Iraq. The merger will happen when the USA decides there is no longer a benefit to maintaining a large military presence in the Middle East. The only reason Kuwait exists is due to the military protection it receives from the US and UK.

All the Iraqi's need to do is be patient.
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jake_old » Fri 29 Jul 2005, 17:30:06

Yes, but why would Iraq want Kuwait if their oil reserves are depleted?

Good comment btw, hadn't really thought about that :)
Jake_old
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics