Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Joint Oil Data Initiative (JODI) Thread (merged)

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

THE Joint Oil Data Initiative (JODI) Thread (merged)

Unread postby LadyRuby » Tue 02 Aug 2005, 00:36:45

Does anyone know if this is really going to result in data transparency? I looked around a little and it seems like they've been meeting for a few years but doesn't seem to be much to show for it.
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 20:40:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merge thread.
LadyRuby
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: JODI: Joint Oil Data Initiative

Unread postby Raxozanne » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 16:37:31

kochevnik wrote:Considering all the foolishness on this site lately, I thought there would be a lot more comment about one of the most significant news events in the last few months. I'm speaking of course about the Joint Oil Data Initiative (JODI) announced yesterday.

What does this JODI entail? Is it just Saudi Arabia and OPEC putting some figures on paper and then passing it around? Will an international team be able to go in and do an audit or something? If its the former then I wouldn't hold out for much.
Raxozanne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MacG » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 16:51:54

Me think this is... IT! We are propably there. Very, very close to peak. Either minutes before or minutes after. Time will tell.
MacG
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby OilsNotWell » Sun 20 Nov 2005, 18:56:18

Well, I haven't seen the link to the site which went live yesterday posted yet so here it is:

http://www.jodidata.org/FileZ/ODTmain.htm

I am perusing the production figures right now...perhaps others can do the same.
OilsNotWell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby donshan » Tue 22 Nov 2005, 13:03:11

OilsNotWell wrote:Well, I haven't seen the link to the site which went live yesterday posted yet so here it is: linkI am perusing the production figures right now...perhaps others can do the same.

Please do!! Some interpretation would be appreciated. I saw that link on The Oil Drum and was looking at it Sunday night. However I don't have the historical background to put the raw data into any sort of context.
An expert is someone who has made every mistake possible in their field and learned how to prevent them.
donshan
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 22 Nov 2005, 14:51:40

I'm not sure that the process (or flow as they call it) is any different than what the IEA or EIA or numerous commercial groups put together. It is nice that the numbers are all in one place country by country but I wonder if there is not still some room for "missing barrels"...such as those at sea? Certainly if the methodology is identical the difference in the various estimates we see are to do with interpretation of how you add and/or subtract the various "flows" ?

:?
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

JODI Database

Unread postby stu » Wed 24 Jun 2009, 13:49:41

Was wondering if anyone was anywhere of this website that I recently stumbled across and what people think of it's reliability.

JODI

Lists latest production, consumption figures etc.

According to production figures up until the end of April the Russians are producing almost 2 million more barrels than the Saudis.

Link
"The age of excess is over. The age of entropy has begun"
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: THE Joint Oil Data Initiative (JODI) Thread (merged)

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 07 Feb 2010, 15:14:54

FYI

Joint Oil Data Initiative Manual
The JODI Manual is a training tool designed to disseminate the data transparency message and clarify the definitions and methodologies utilized in the submission of JODI data. It is a living document and feedback is an essential element in the drive for progress. Comments and suggestions are actively encouraged.
Last update: 19 January – Data up to November 2009

Download the txt (last column displays the colour codes: 1 for blue, 2 for yellow and 3 for white (see also ‘Data Quality Assessment’ page)

Download the csv (last column displays the colour codes: 1 for blue, 2 for yellow and 3 for white (see also ‘Data Quality Assessment’ page)

Download the ivt (to read .ivt file you need to install first the Beyond 20/20 Browser. See ‘First Time User’ page)

English version (PDF file)
Chinese version (PDF file)
Spanish version (PDF file)
Russian version (PDF file)

Joint Oil Data Initiative
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Dec 2010 JODI data suggests World Crude Exports Fell

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 21 Feb 2011, 10:06:37

Eight countries have yet to report for Dec 2010 but if you exclude them the remaining ones show a cumulative decline of 776 thousand barrels per day from Nov 2010 to Dec 2010.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7518#comment-768783
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Dec 2010 JODI data suggests World Crude Exports Fell

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 21 Feb 2011, 13:09:42

Unless, you ask Bloomberg. In that case the world has been destroyed as production fell 14%.

OPEC Oil Exports Fall 2% as Saudi Shipments Decline
By Wael Mahdi / Bloomberg / Feb 19, 2011

Total world output fell 14 percent in December from a month earlier to 55.5 million barrels a day, the lowest since 2002, mainly due to a in non-OPEC production, particularly in Latin America.

Does Wael Mahdi have any idea what the world would look like if total world output fell 14% in one month?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Dec 2010 JODI data suggests World Crude Exports Fell

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 25 Feb 2011, 10:15:14

I took another look through the JODI data, this time at SARABIA, the code for Saudi Arabia.

The rows in the JODI CSV file end with a number, which is a code which is defined in
http://www.jodidata.org/files/ShortAndl ... ODIWDB.pdf
The numbers are 1, 2 and 3 and the definitions are:
1 = Results of the assessment show reasonable levels of comparability
2 = Consult metadata/Use with caution
3 = Data has not been assessed

Oil stock data for SARABIA always has code "1". Data on "oil stocks" are discussed here:
NOTES ON STOCKS DATA
JODI News Letter

Why are data on stocks important ?

Oil stocks are a critical element of information in an oil balance. The majority of oil stocks are essential to keep the global supply system operating. They are oil in pipelines going from the wellhead production sites to refineries, from refineries to consumers; they are held in tankers, railcars and road tankers linking production sites, refineries and consumers.

Not to include stock data in an oil balance leads to a lack of transparency in the market. The trend in stocks is important for many oil analysts when making an evaluation of the oil market situation.

Stocks are a leading indicator of prices: the level of oil stocks often determines the price, e.g. when oil stocks are low it means that there may be a shortage or a need for replenishing, which indicates that prices will be rising. On the other hand if the industry is amply supplied with the right oil, there may be a price reduction expected. This is why it is important to have information on the situation of oil stocks in the world.

Information on product stocks can be as important as crude oil stocks. For example, crude oil stocks give an indication of the availability of crude to refineries in each country, and therefore are evidence on how well the refineries might provide the domestic market. On the other hand, information on low gasoline stocks before the driving season, or low heating oil stocks before the winter can be a warning signal to refineries, oil companies and governments that not only prices could rise, but shortages might possibly occur – e.g. heating oil problems experienced in autumn 2000.

Production and export data for SARABIA crude is always(?) given code "3" while data for refined products is sometimes given a "2" or "1" (likely that older data gets upgraded to a "1" over time.)
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics