Login

Peak Oil is You

Donate Bitcoins ;-) or Paypal :-)

Doomer Nut Partially Responsible for CT Massacre

If you are through speculating, this is the place to discuss actions you are taking.

Doomer Nut Partially Responsible for CT Massacre

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 00:13:48

Do the mods know if she had an account here at PO.com?

Did paranoid, gun-crazed mother trigger son's school killing spree? Friends say she believed world was on edge of collapse

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2FHbtT6oU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid ‘survivalist’ who believed the world was on the verge of violent, economic collapse.
She is reported to have been struggling to hold herself together and had been stockpiling food, water and guns in the large home she shared with her 20-year-old son in Connecticut.
Mrs Lanza, 52, was a ‘prepper’ – so called because they are preparing for a breakdown in civilised society – who apparently became obsessed with guns and taught Adam and his older brother, Ryan, how to shoot, even taking them to local ranges.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Doomer Nut Partially Responsible for CT Massacre

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 00:16:51

I also hope NatGeo considers pulling the show Doomsday Preppers to avoid glorifying these loons anymore.
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

TheAntiDoomer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Repent » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 00:59:47

I have Asperger's syndrome myself. There has been a huge response on Asperger's message boards about this incident; that you can't blame the illness, only the action of what this young man did.

I think it’s tragic that this occurred at all, and even more tragic that the media rushes right away to portray all people with Asperger's syndrome as being dangerous elements of society. My daughter is also affected by this condition. Neither she, nor myself are violent people; however the stigma of having this disability has now been increased due to this random act of violence by one disturbed individual.

The message then is don't blame a disability, or a whole group of people affected by this disability for this tragedy; blame only the one person who made these tragic choices.
Repent
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 01:00:58

Didn't there use to be a way to delete duplicate posts?
Last edited by Keith_McClary on Mon 17 Dec 2012, 01:11:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Western meds aren't working any more"
-Dmitry Orlov
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 01:03:31

Aren't there also lots of paranoid gun-crazed folks who think it is their constitutional right and duty to take up arms against government tyranny, such a medicare, environmental, health & safety regulations and fuel economy mandates?

And then there are the paranoid gun-crazed folks who rampage around the world massacring Muslims.

And Timothy McVeigh, Good Christian paranoid mass murderer.

All the same mentality, IMHO.
"Western meds aren't working any more"
-Dmitry Orlov
Keith_McClary
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 01:25:18

I saw this article the other day. Now I think it is time to post it. Not sure of American Health system. Is Medicare the answer?

Yes, Of Course, Gun Control. But We Also Need More Crazy-Person Control

One consequence of mass killings like this week's horror in Newtown, according to reporting by Kristina Fiore, is this: Involuntary commitments of mentally ill men will increase for a while. To which I can only say: Terrific. I hope they triple. Yes, it's obvious that we need to reduce unstable men's access to guns (because guns greatly amplify the damage that a killer can inflict in a few seconds or minutes). But it's also obvious that we should be trying to reduce their access to people, and increase their access to serious help. Because even if we can get a handle on assault weapons and military pistols, there will still be knives, fertilizer and poison.

If you've ever had to deal with straight-up mental illness (not eccentricity or emotional outbursts, but the genuine crazy, which feels totally different), then you already know that it is extraordinarily difficult to force a troubled person into treatment in this country. This is a consequence of a 1975 Supreme Court decision, O'Connor v. Donaldson, which held that it's unconstitutional to confine a mentally ill person who presents no danger to himself or others. That decision was part of a great wave of "deinstitutionalization," in which people who had been warehoused in state-run mental hospitals were moved into society (supposedly into community mental health facilities, though sometimes into nothing). The Donaldson decision left states scrambling to write rules to define what constituted danger to self and to others, and to define who would decide. The practical consequence is that today people who are obviously in trouble, and obviously frightening, have been left untreated and unfettered.

The politically correct way to broach this topic is to speak about improving the American mental-health system, offering genuine treatment to all who need it (in fact, since 1971 American law has held that mental patients have a constitutional right to treatment). And nobody—not even people in favor of some form of "reinstitutionalization," like this guy—wants to return to the era when mentally disturbed people were warehoused and given little or no help. But maybe we could admit that our patient-centered language of rights and freedoms doesn't adequately protect the rest of society.

This week a lot of gun-control advocates have been asking about the cost in blood of our right to bear arms, noting, as Gregory Gibson put it the other day, that children have paid for their elders' freedom. Shouldn't we be asking this same question about the freedom to refuse treatment for severe mental disorders?

bigthink
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
http://www.repoweramerica.org/
Graeme
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 02:30:27

Mental health services should be free in the United States like it is in the rest of the developed world
lotrfan55345
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 02:33:38

lotrfan55345 wrote:Mental health services should be free in the United States like it is in the rest of the developed world

I'd be more interested in quality mental health services then just having one McClinic on every corner so you can pat yourself on the back.
Serial_Worrier
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 02:47:44

Serial_Worrier wrote:
lotrfan55345 wrote:Mental health services should be free in the United States like it is in the rest of the developed world

I'd be more interested in quality mental health services then just having one McClinic on every corner so you can pat yourself on the back.

I agree, but almost anything would be better than our current system of GPs handing out SSRIs like candy
lotrfan55345
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 02:55:10

TheAntiDoomer wrote:Do the mods know if she had an account here at PO.com?
From the 'Hitler was a vegetarian therefore all vegetarians are all genocidal maniacs' school of thinking.

Poor little dear, never has anything of value to offer the forum but imagines the people here are murderous maniacs.
dorlomin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby davep » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 04:08:56

taught Adam and his older brother, Ryan, how to shoot, even taking them to local ranges.

Even taking them to ranges! The horror!

I think she should have kept the guns in a safe and kept the keys well away from a mentally unstable relative.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 04:39:45

Serial_Worrier wrote:

Greece has free healthcare but now that Greece is broke the healthcare there has taken a turn for the worse. I imagine this will spread throughout the EU as their money problems worsen.

So much for free healthcare, try no healthcare!
ColossalContrarian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 04:54:54

ColossalContrarian wrote:
Serial_Worrier wrote:

Greece has free healthcare but now that Greece is broke the healthcare there has taken a turn for the worse. I imagine this will spread throughout the EU as their money problems worsen.

So much for free healthcare, try no healthcare!

Most of the EU population (e.g. France, Germany) do not have free health care.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 05:04:44

Depends on your definition of free ?
France and Germany are roughly 77% publically funded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Europe
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 05:13:50

Shaved Monkey wrote:Depends on your definition of free ?
France and Germany are roughly 77% publically funded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Europe

They don't actually explain what they mean by public funding. Both Germany and France have public health insurance (the former allows private alternatives for freelancers, the latter has "mutuelle" complementary insurance). If this public health insurance counts as public funding it just means that the insurance is paid to the state rather than a private provider (the French system does run at a deficit though, but I don't know what this is relative to the overall spend - that would be the element of net public funding).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Cloud9 » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 06:24:31

The horror, my God the horror, innocent children slaughtered, a mother murdered by her own son, how ghastly can it get? Understand that there are people who walk among us that have no souls. They are like black holes and will suck in and destroy those that come in contact with them.

I once had long conversations with a man named Herbert Lee Evans. He liked to murder and rape little girls. He liked them just as they were about to go through the change. We think he murdered 18. After several years he came to realize I was never going to recommend him for parole. So our little annual meetings became simply a formality. In time we took off our social masks and I asked him, “Lee why did you kill those little girls before you raped them?” He said, “Mr. C., I just didn’t like to hear them bitch!” The bastard finally died in prison from liver cancer. I hope he died screaming. It could not have happened to a more deserving guy.

Understand folks that there are evil people in the world. The only reason that any of us are still alive is because one of these heartless bastards has not locked onto us. If one of them wants you he will get to you. The police cannot protect you. Your family cannot protect you. Our perceived security provides us a false feeling of safety but rest assured, it is but an illusion. There is no greater security than that which can be had in our prisons. Murders, rapes and robberies still take place. So, in the night, when the glass breaks it is up to you.

The simple fact is that you cannot make yourself safe by making me defenseless. The right to self-defense is a natural right. It is not a privilege given to me by the state. Neither you nor the state can take that right from me. Attempt it and you will spark a civil war.
Cloud9
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 07:25:42

Cloud9 wrote: Neither you nor the state can take that right from me. Attempt it and you will spark a civil war.

We are all defending ourselves when we would ban semi automatic weapons that fire over a hundred bullets a second.
If Karma is true all of us alive today will come back as maggots eating our grand children. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://mounttotumas.com/wordpress/
Ibon

Unread postby davep » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 08:10:41

To be fair, even most fully autos don't fire much more than 10 bullets a second. You'd need a minigun to attain 100 per second.

</pedant>
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 08:35:29

I find it impossible to discuss gun control because there are so many firmly held myths and paranoid ideas, by both sides, as to preclude discussion. I am branded alternatively as loonie lefty supporting government take over or a whitey righty nationalist.

Being an out of the closet prepped, I guess I'll get branded with that too.
Newfie
Fission
Fission

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 08:43:07

dorlomin wrote:
TheAntiDoomer wrote:Do the mods know if she had an account here at PO.com?
From the 'Hitler was a vegetarian therefore all vegetarians are all genocidal maniacs' school of thinking.

Poor little dear, never has anything of value to offer the forum but imagines the people here are murderous maniacs.

Nobody said she was the maniac, only that she was a doomsday prepper and her gones were accessed by her son for the murders. I would bet a buck she had an account here.

TheAntiDoomer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Planning For The Future