Login

Peak Oil is You

Donate Bitcoins ;-) or Paypal :-)

Tulip-Poplar Syrup?

If you are through speculating, this is the place to discuss actions you are taking.

Tulip-Poplar Syrup?

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 02 Dec 2008, 21:44:27

I was looking at the catalog Lehman's sent me and was surprised to see an ad for tulip-poplar syrup. The catalog has it priced even higher than maple syrup.

I've never heard of syrup being made from tulip-poplars (aka yellow-poplars). Naturally this got my feverish little brain thinking about the hundreds of giant tulip trees I have on my land, and wondering if I could make syrup.

Has anyone tasted this syrup, or better yet made it?

My poplars have timber value, but I don't intend to cut them ever. However, I'm curious if tapping them could harm them or damage the wood.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Re: Tulip-Poplar Syrup?

Unread postby Zel » Tue 02 Dec 2008, 23:55:45

I don't know how much help this will be, but this link says that both hickory and tulip-poplar syrup are made from the bark of the trees.

http://glutenagogogalley.blogspot.com/2 ... iquid.html

"Some tree syrups don’t even need sap! Some syrup-makers make non-pancake syrups from elm, cherry, tulip-poplar and shagbark hickory bark; from pine, fir and spruce buds; even from black locust flowers! "
http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=3985

This sounds really interesting, though.
Zel
Coal
Coal

Unread postby blukatzen » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 01:44:50

I've heard of birch syrup, they use it in Poland and Russia like how we use Maple syrup. (has an astringent quality, and birch gets rid of excess water, if someone is retaining it.)

I don't know about Tulip, but I wouldn't see why not. I am sure some Native American tribes along your way, maybe Cherokee, would know if it's been used by them culturally...?

I will also ask some of my friends in Pennsylvania, who grew up in the Mennonite community if they know about this.

I'd be interested to know as well! I think if it hasn't been a bad season for rain, you'd get a good harvest of syrup. You don't want to tap any tree that's been under stress. I know you'd mentioned that it's been so dry this past season.

Blu
blukatzen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 15:11:44

I had heard of birch syrup too, Blu. Even hickory syrup. But tulip-poplar syrup is a new one on me!

Tulip trees seem unaffected by the droughts we've had. They're virtually immune to bug damage and diseases, too. Remarkably tough. These factors, along with their mighty growth, explain how they've replaced the American chestnut as a dominant species in many Eastern forests.

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Byron100 » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 15:23:38

How interesting! Never heard of such a thing. I, too, have lots of these tulip popular trees in my yard, including a couple monsters over a hundred feet tall. Have to see if the winter rains continue to kick in (already had a 1.5-incher so far), and perhaps I could put in an experimental tap in one of my bigger trees come February.

Sure would be fun to make syrup from my otherwise useless 3/4 acre of urban woodland. :wink:
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 21:33:39

Apparently, as Zel noted, the syrup is made from the tulip-poplar bark. It appears to be quite a delicacy (shagbark hickory syrup too).

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index ... 165.0;wap2

I've had difficulty finding details on the exact process, though. Presumably the bark is boiled and the fluid filtered and further concentrated.

Stripping the bark from living tulip trees would damage them. Maybe undesirable specimens are felled and the fresh bark stripped.

Not sure how practical any of this is---probably not.

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby oldmountianman » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 22:01:42

Must be boiled out of bark strained than sugar added then boiled to a syrup. May even have to ferment. Shag bark hickory syrup has to be processed the same way. They are very hush hush on how it is made. Could have bee honey added. The recipe is said to be over 200 years old. I make maple syrup from sap no secret on how it is made. If their is a will their is a way. I will find the secret.
oldmountianman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Heineken » Sat 03 Jan 2009, 06:42:45

As I suspected. Sounds a lot more labor-intensive than tapping, Mountain Man. Thanks for your comments.

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rattleshirt » Sat 03 Jan 2009, 11:48:26

Try tapping the treees just like maples...poplar sap is safe to drink. Same for hickory. The worst thing that will happen is it will taste foul and you will have wasted time. As John Vivian (Manual of Practical Homesteading) says,"Just don't tap a pine tree."
Remember every mighty oak tree started with some nut who stood their ground.
rattleshirt
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby countrymomma » Sun 04 Jan 2009, 23:16:10

I've never tapped one, but we have a HUGE tulip poplar in our yard and it drips sap all over from late spring to late summer.

I'd think it would be pretty easy to get some useful syrup from it. Our whole front walk gets sticky and shiny with the sap sprinkles! May have to try it :)
Country Momma
countrymomma
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 04 Jan 2009, 23:24:34

I have heard of birch beer. The sap from the yellow birch is collected in the spring and fermented. A yellow birch syrup would taste like wintergreen. I'll stick with the maple syrup and Budweiser though.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby nk » Thu 19 Mar 2009, 18:09:42

Does anyone have a method for actually producing syrup from the bark of the poplar tree?
nk
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:51:51

nk wrote:Does anyone have a method for actually producing syrup from the bark of the poplar tree?

AFAIK syrup always comes from the sap, what you get from bark or leaves is tea.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Planning For The Future