Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tim Kaine: Virginia Senator

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Tim Kaine: Virginia Senator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 15:26:18

Well, it's Clinton-Kaine '16.

I saw a lot of Kaine's speech today, and I was surprised, I think I like him.. that was a good veep pick..

Some things about him:

* He's from Minnesota, originally
* Moved to Virginia, history in Virginia politics, currently junior US Senator from Virginia
* In the 1980s, he worked at a Christian Jesuit mission in Honduras. He's perfectly fluent in Spanish, and plans to campaign in Spanish, to latino voters
* From watching that speech, I think I conclude that Kaine has the qualities Clinton doesn't: he seems warm, affable, likable, big persoanality.. a NICE guy.

From what I can tell, he seems religious to me.. he's a devout Catholic.. he did that mission work in Honduras, and he's got some pro life stances. From what I read, he's "Jesuit trained."

He's for some very basic gun safety reforms.. he made news with this part of the speech, where he told the story of the tragedy at Virginia Tech and Lithuanian born holocaust survivor Liviu Librescu, and he yelled "we will not rest!" until there is some gun control in this country:

(An irony: Trump may not even protect Lithuanians in Lithuania today, in 2016. :roll: At least Kaine knows history, about the Holocaust, and soviet invasion.)

TIM KAINE REFFERING VIRGINIA TECH SHOOTING AND LIVIU LIBRESCU
https://youtu.be/2NYnwjP5Hlk

Tim Kaine says he'll stand up to the NRA:

Tim Kaine on the National Rifle Association: I don't mind powerful groups campaigning against me It'
https://youtu.be/seTubpiNHSw

FULL SPEECH: Hillary Clinton Rally with Tim Kaine VP Pick Miami(07/23/2016)
https://youtu.be/djm2u9gyY9k

So far, I'm impressed. He seems like a likable, good guy.

He's got a son in the marine corps too, that's about to deploy to Europe.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Veep Tim Kaine: Christian, gun reform, Virginia Senator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 18:06:01

I feel better about someone as old as Hillary becoming President, now that she's selected a younger, healthier VP like Kaine.

AND Kaine speaks fluent Spanish, so he can communicate directly with all the Latin American immigrants that Obama and Hillary are allowing into the country.

A good pick for VP. Congrats to Hillary. :)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 18:26:39

He is another gun banning liberal. NRA F rating.

Immediate disqualification for someone taking the oath to protect and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

We don't need another oath-breaker.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 19:29:23

Yet another typically Cogesque comment, indicative of his binary thinking.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 19:33:16

I didn't think I'd care much for him either, but caught a bit of his speech today and have to say I was impressed with his regular good guy attitude and a firm grasp of the subjects.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Loki » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:01:33

A wonderfully tone-deaf choice, as if the primaries never happened.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:12:47

There's awful, and there's reallyfuckinawful. Anything that keeps Trump/Pence out of office. We have moderate Republican family in Virginia and they like Kaine pretty much; hate Trump the flim-flam man.

Suck's, I know. Seems Kaine is the only one of the bunch who isn't an asshole.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 20:48:24

GHung wrote:Yet another typically Cogesque comment, indicative of his binary thinking.

The Second Amendment is not up for negotiation. If that is binary thinking, then I'm proud to be down with it.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 21:03:45

I still see no way to, as a responsible voter, vote for either pair. Both would be disasters for the country and even the world.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 21:45:33

Tim Kaine hides behind his Catholicism, while voting for every pro-abortion bill to come his way. He has voted for the government to fund abortions and is against parental notification when minor children wish to obtain abortions. Furthermore, he is against any restrictions on partial birth abortions.

Whatever he is, he is no Christian.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 22:15:16

Kain has supported a woman's right to choose. How is that anti-Christian?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby mmasters » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 22:22:06

He voted against Kate's Law, he's a loser.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 22:35:13

Just what the country needs another hate law. Maybe while we're at it we could also reinstitute slavery.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 22:42:23

Lore wrote:Kain has supported a woman's right to choose. How is that anti-Christian?

Because it is Catholic church doctrine as well as most Protestant church doctrine that abortion is murder, notwithstanding SCOTUS rulings that say otherwise. If Kaine doesn't have a problem crushing a baby's skull or sucking its brains out so its easier to abort, its hard to say he is a good Catholic.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 23:51:11

Sooo, we have one guy spouting historically pro-Nazi slogans running against a couple folks deeply in the pockets of the plutocrats...does anyone see this ending well for anyone (except perhaps the plutocrats)??
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 23 Jul 2016, 23:52:24

Haven't dug to many Kaine details out yet. But does seem to be a relatively decent chap. But so what? Like most POTUS elections it hangs on turn out and fence sitters. And I think Kaine might have given Trump a tiny boost ...just as Pence did. Right of the bat Trump is going to relentlessly paint a bulls-eyes on Kaine's back for his support of the Trans Pacific trade deal.

I suspect the economic issue will weigh more heavily in voting the those other issues (abortion, guns, etc) combined.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 24 Jul 2016, 00:05:12

R, doo youu havee somee thiing againstt doublee letterrss orr somethhingggg? :) :) :) :)

to
>> too

of
>> off

(For those not accustomed to translating ROCK-ese!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Haven't dug to many Kaine details out yet. But [he] does seem to be a relatively decent chap. But so what? Like most POTUS elections it hangs on turn out and fence sitters. And I think Kaine might have given Trump a tiny boost ...just as Pence did. Right of the bat Trump is going to relentlessly paint a bulls-eyes on Kaine's back for his support of the Trans Pacific trade deal.

I suspect the economic issue will weigh more heavily in voting the those

(Of course, most of my writing by this point in the evening is total gibberish, as anyone who has followed these forums for any amount of time can attest!!! :-D :-D :-D )
Last edited by dohboi on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 00:14:30, edited 2 times in total.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 24 Jul 2016, 00:07:17

I'm sure when the Great Leader of America First comes into power, He will put an End to all Mis-spellings and all the trains will RUN ON TIME (if there are any trains left to run)...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby salinsky » Sun 24 Jul 2016, 00:49:42

No need to worry about the Dems taking our guns away. Presidents, nor those congress critters decide the laws. All legislation is written by those carn sarn Lutheran sodbusters down there in South Deekotee. Ain't you fellers learned that much yet?
If you believe something is true, then it must be true or you wouldn't believe it was true, therefore, everything you think is true, is true, or is it?
Señor Salinsky

A people's culture is their best ignorance.
SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 24 Jul 2016, 00:54:24

Clinton's new ad: 'Confessions of a Republican II'

The ad, “Confessions of a Republican II,” uses the same actor as a 1964 ad that voiced concern about then-Republican nominee Barry Goldwater. ...

“I’ve thought about not voting. But you can’t do that. That’s saying you don’t care who wins and I do care,” Bogert continues. “I think the party is about to make a terrible mistake in Cleveland and I have to vote against that mistake on the 8th of November.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/18/clintons-new-ad-confessions-republican/87240756/

The 1964 ad:

Confessions of a Republican (LBJ 1964 Presidential campaign commercial)
https://youtu.be/LiG0AE8zdTU?t=9

Same guy, 2016 ad:

Confessions of a Republican | Hillary Clinton
https://youtu.be/oeYKFRV34kY
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to North America Discussion