Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cute video: Breaking up is hard to do.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Cute video: Breaking up is hard to do.

Unread postby GHung » Fri 13 Feb 2015, 12:26:15

Go ahead; it's short -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... A6j1r3Kbuo

This video was put out by the Environmental Policy Alliance, a front group for Big Oil that pushes out specious and inaccurate opposition research on individuals and organizations who fight climate change. The group is led by Rick Berman, who was taped by the New York Times as saying in a talk to oil executives that “you have to play dirty to win”.

This is what the fossil fuel industry is saying about you: that you’re a bunch of big, bad, radicals who want everyone to go hungry in the dark. But we know that’s ridiculous. We know that this movement is pushing for a just, sustainable future for all of us — one where energy is something that helps communities instead of hurting them, and where you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have a voice.

http://gofossilfree.org/this-is-what-th ... about-you/

Unfortunately, the video is pretty close to reality. The breakup will be long, messy, and not by choice for most.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Cute video: Breaking up is hard to do.

Unread postby Paulo1 » Fri 13 Feb 2015, 12:58:35

I read the blurb on the link as well as watched the video.

I am reminded of a couple of things. 1) A young lady interviewed on CNN at the huge environmental march/rally in NYC this past year who stated she "flew in from San Francisco to be part of someting so....." 2) My Prius driving brother who talks about environmentalism, who in the past few years has flown to SE Asia, Africa, Costa Rica 2X, South America 3X, who is currently somewhere in the Amazon headwaters. Plus travelled to the States a few times by 'hybrid'. Purpose of the trips? Birdwatching. (I am sure I missed several trips with this list).

I understand their positions, I truly do. But when my brother used to get on his soap box about Amazon deforestation I simply reminded him that one of his trips probably expelled more carbon than my entire year of red neck living in the boonies.

I admit to living and limiting my travels to books. We seldom leave Vancouver Island for any reason, whatsoever. Why bother? We are happy here and happy with our lives. If the winter gets us down I put more wood in the stove and go putter in the shop. I'm thinking of building a wood-fired sauna for next winter. When the weather is nice there is no prettier place to be. Fishing is great. Peace and quiet. Beautiful views. I catch salmon in my backyard and shoot elk across the road...for food. Bulbs are a foot high and we didn't get very much snow this winter...one fall of 4 inches? It has been spring for the last 2 weeks.

When did working folk start needing winter vacations in Hawaii or Mexico? Really? This is normal stuff? Family trips to Disneyland? Really?

As long as I can get some fuel once in awhile for my motorcycle, chainsaw, fishing skiff, and a bi-weekly trip to town, life is as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. I could care less if the airline industry collapses, or if folks ultimately are forced to live a more realistic lifestyle.

People frantically racing through life to acquire all the 'stuff' and experiences they are supposed to have, those folks will one day be forced to spend months relying on their own resources for entertainment and life satisfaction; maybe even for survival. They will have to learn to think and live for themselves, instead of following what other people imply they need to do, either by advertising or group expectations. As far as I'm concerned, we will all be better off for it and if PO brings it on, it can't happen soon enough.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Paulo1 » Fri 13 Feb 2015, 14:25:11

Hey ho,

We live close to the land, but are as dependent on FF as much as anyone. I am sad about our climate change contributions and get down and depressed about how we eff up so much around us. Having said that, I do not think humans are as bad as some on this site do, calling us scourages, etc. Most folks are doing the best they can every day with what they know and are given. I believe the human spirit is resilient and can be compassionate as a matter of course. I like people, for the most part. I think people can live better and that many will do so as time goes by. By that I mean make better choices about food, lifestyle, entertainment, etc.

As for FF, I have a couple of 35 year old trail bikes and a brand spanking new Honda cb500. It is pissing rain right now but it is supposed to clear up for the next 2 weeks....starting tomorrow. :-D :o I just spent the last 2 hours or so changing the oil, cleaning the carport, getting all ready to head to town tomorrow on a gloious sunny spring day. I will burn approx. 1.5 gal regular gas. I plan to enjoy every thrilling minute of it.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 16 Feb 2015, 09:41:34

Ha, their website is called "biggreenradicals.com"

So the message is that the environmental movement is the same as koch brothers, "Big Green:"

You know what a better line would be, for them to push? Just the jobs angle. And economy. That being #1 in the world on nat gas and oil is a big deal, good for jobs, good for the economy. Which is actually true.

Okay Koch brothers, gimme a million dollar consulting check for that bit of advice. :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion