Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

LENR, Rossi and the ECAT Thread pt 5

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: LENR, Rossi and the ECAT Thread pt 2 (merged)

Unread postby Prune » Mon 11 Jun 2012, 01:08:26

Rune wrote:You must have missed that fact that, besides Rossi, there are 5 other companies vying for commercialization of a LENR device.

Will the circle be unbroken
Buy and buy Lord
Buy and buy
Is cold fusion really lovely
Or just pie Lord
In the sky

:-D
Prune
Permanently Banned

Re: LENR, Rossi and the ECAT Thread pt 3 (merged)

Unread postby Rune » Sat 03 Aug 2013, 22:03:12

Feel free to ignore it. I'm not, though.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 04 Aug 2013, 01:55:21

SeaGypsy wrote: lest some radical new process is activated- such as a successful legal appeal for a new investigation (Not holding breath).
Or an actual contested trial (not plea bargain confession) in a non-kangaroo court which might bring out the truth (Not holding breath).

(No offence meant to 'roos)
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 04 Aug 2013, 02:54:52

Rune wrote:WTF is the big deal?

A theory?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Rune » Sun 04 Aug 2013, 09:01:17

SeaGypsy wrote:
Rune wrote:WTF is the big deal?

A theory?

Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Beery1 » Sun 04 Aug 2013, 15:51:08

Rune wrote:Someone like George Miley, with his reputation intact and reliable, is simply not a scam artist...

As someone who is fooled by these scams, you underestimate the capacity of people to be fooled just as much as you underestimate the willingness of people to fool other people for money. Scientists are not immune from gullibility.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Rune » Sun 04 Aug 2013, 16:07:32

Beery1 wrote:
Rune wrote:Someone like George Miley, with his reputation intact and reliable, is simply not a scam artist...

As someone who is fooled by these scams, you underestimate the capacity of people to be fooled just as much as you underestimate the willingness of people to fool other people for money. Scientists are not immune from gullibility.

Right! Much better to listen to some anonymous, highly-biased, uncredentialed nobody on an internet forum who shows no curiosity about the subject and who can hardly read and who never says anything intgelligent. I see what you mean.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ming » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 05:29:42

Nice post kublikhan!
I concur with the idea that some "scientists" tend to get lost and confused, and to believe (at least for some time) in the most obviously wrong fantasies.
(I remember the head of the university physics department where I was teaching some years ago getting confused by elementary physics realities that would be easily understood by a smart 10 year old... It was a good joke for the rest of the faculty at the time, but I now find it quite sad...)

Anyway this thread continues to be a good entertainment.
Keep it on!
Ming
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Beery1 » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 22:15:24

Keith_McClary wrote:So we should examine what is known about these companies and their demonstrations and discuss whether they are scams.

But you don't seem to like it when we do that. You say we are supposed to respect their scientists because of their reputations and credentials.

And Rune would prefer us not to talk about the fact that Rossi's reputation is that of a convicted fraudster and jailbird. The following are Rossi's reputation and credentials: He was convicted of investor fraud in the Petroldragon affair, resulting in massive environmental pollution and damage. He was arrested in Italy for illegal transactions in gold. He lied and cheated to the DOD and took over a million dollars for thermoelectric devices some of which never existed and others of which never worked. No working device was ever shown to the DOD.

I mean, how obvious does it have to be that this guy is a crook? How anyone can still give this huckster any credibility at all is beyond my capacity to comprehend. Some folks will literally believe anything.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 23:17:39

kublikhan wrote:
A Mississauga man could face up to 20 years in a U.S. prison after pleading guilty to fraud charges in connection with an international scam that has bilked North American lawyers out of millions of dollars. Emmanuel Ekhator, 42, a Nigerian citizen, was considered one of the ringleaders in the elaborate scheme that cheated Canadian and U.S. law firms of up to $70 million, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office Middle District of Pennsylvania.

It’s not clear why lawyers were targeted or what details they DIDN’T check up on to ascertain that this was a scam but it does go to show you that EXPERTS can easily be fooled.
Lawyers fall for Nigerian scam

To scam $70 million he must have pulled this off many times. It is a variation on a common scam.

What is amazing is why word about this did not get around the legal community. Probably because they were all too embarrassed to admit they fell for it. :lol:

Same with free energy scams?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby yeahbut » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 01:38:25

Heh heh, it's nice to know that there are a few things you can always count on:
The sun will come up tomorrow, and Rune will get upset because people here don't get all excited like he does about whatever his latest technofix de jour happens to be...

Here's something I wrote in mid 2010 (of course the techno miracle was something different back then, but that's the great thing about techno miracles, you can just forget you ever championed them when they don't pan out and move on to the next, and the next)

You're funny, Carlhole. You have established a predictable effect(corny posts news re latest scientific development, doomers scoff at its feasibility/expense/likelihood of ever being implemented/ practicality in the real world/etc), you can confidently expect it to occur, and yet you are outraged to the the point of foam-flecked invective each and every time your prediction is proved accurate :-D

You're posting at PeakOil.com, and I hope you keep doing so, because I find some of the items you find really interesting. But stop pretending to be surprised when your excitement about the approaching singularity is met with, at best, amused scepticism. A lot of people here, I suspect a large majority, see each news item you post as the announcement of a shiny new type of deckchair on the same old ship...

The vitriol may have been reined in somewhat(at gunpoint), but the song remains the same!
The more things change, etc :-D
yeahbut
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 08:48:32

Where's Blinky
vision-master

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:46:50

Carlrunehole's Nemeisis; Kief Wivensomebodyorother, was permanently banned for refusing to stop being as belligerant as Carlrunhole, failing to keep his indignities on topic and within the realms of 'uncarlruneholeness'. It would not be proper of me to request a return of Kief Wivenwhatshiname, that's bewteen him and the mods. :razz: (Re read the thread you will recall...)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 17:56:17

SeaGypsy is the new reservegrowthrules.
vision-master

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 06 Aug 2013, 22:27:54

Synapsid wrote:Those who keep baiting you will keep baiting you, so why reply to them?
As I said, this is a discussion forum. If one posts opinions, one should be prepared to defend them.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Stinky Bill » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 06:57:27

I hear that Blinky has been rather busy casting Nasturtiums at Defkalion http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibbs/2 ... right-now/
He seems to have let the Cold Fusion Fanboys have their bit of excitement before coming in on page 2 of the comments and saying all rude things about it.
He seems to be getting a bit desperate http://www.gofundme.com/Stop-the-SCAMS

Says that he'd like a few beers or a turnip.
Perhaps Rune would like to buy him one or both.

Stinky Bill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Stinky Bill » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 06:57:27

I hear that Blinky has been rather busy casting Nasturtiums at Defkalion http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibbs/2 ... right-now/
He seems to have let the Cold Fusion Fanboys have their bit of excitement before coming in on page 2 of the comments and saying all rude things about it.
He seems to be getting a bit desperate http://www.gofundme.com/Stop-the-SCAMS

Says that he'd like a few beers or a turnip.
Perhaps Rune would like to buy him one or both.

Stinky Bill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Stinky Bill » Wed 07 Aug 2013, 23:43:29

Hello Mr Rune
Thank you for your continuing efforts to keep us all informed about the fascinating field of LENR research.
Would you be so kind as to include a disclaimer in each of your posts to the effect that:

LENR/Cold Fusion/Call-it-whatever ...... has not provided any evidence to show that it can generate enough energy to boil an egg. Do NOT invest any money for licenses/franchises/distribution rights/MLM opportunities in what is so far nothing more than BROCHURE-WARE.

Fair enough?
No?
:roll:
Stinky Bill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:18:41

Stinky Bill wrote:There are plenty of people who think they actually have discovered something new, and they just need a bit more research to make money from it.
I think that's been known to happen in the oil exploration business.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 08 Aug 2013, 16:08:25

Stinky Bill is Blinky.

Here' we go again.
vision-master

Next

Return to Energy Technology