Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Magnus Effect Sailing Ships

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Magnus Effect Sailing Ships

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 11:03:11

What is the Magnus Effect? Here is a fun short video demonstrating with a basketball and a hydro dam,
http://youtu.be/2OSrvzNW9FE

The effect does have some applications in the world outside of physics demonstrations with a claimed very high efficiency rating for sailing vessels. While the system uses wind for propulsion it also uses electric motors that are usually powered with fossil fuels.
Wikipedia wrote: The German wind-turbine manufacturer Enercon launched and christened its new rotor-ship E-Ship 1 on 2 August 2008. The ship was used to transport turbines and other equipment to locations around the world. The maiden delivery of turbines for Castledockrell Windfarm arrived in Dublin Port on 11th Aug 2010.[2] On 29 July 2013, Enercon provided a press release claiming a potential for "operational fuel savings of up to 25% compared to same-sized conventional freight vessels." after 170,000 sea miles [3] Actual performance figures were not provided.

The University of Flensburg is developing the Flensburg catamaran or Uni-cat Flensburg, a rotor-driven catamaran. [4]

The THiiiNK organizations web site displays detail of an improved version of the Flettner Rotor, that is retractable and supplemented by an additional control surface. [5] The page claims that "The system has been developed and tested both in tank tests and in full-scale sea trials." The design improvement claims include: 1) improved rotor performance by 50% or more and 2) an internal rate of return (IRR) of up to 55% compared to a standard rotor.

In 2009 the Finland-based maritime engineering company Wärtsilä unveiled a concept for a cruiseferry that would utilise Flettner rotors as means of reducing fuel consumption. This concept has been linked with the Finnish ferry operator Viking Line,[6] (the ship, M/S Viking Grace, was built 2011–2012, without the rotors).

Stephen H. Salter and John Latham recently proposed the building of 1,500 robotic rotor-ships to mitigate global warming. The ships would spray seawater into the air to enhance cloud reflectivity.[7][8] A prototype rotor ship was tested on Discovery Project Earth. The rotors were made of carbon fibre and were attached to a retrofitted trimaran and successfully propelled the vessel stably through the water at a speed of six knots. The focus of the experiment was based on the ability for the boat to move emissions free for a specialized purpose leaving it unclear whether or not the efficiency of the rotors was on parity, inferior to, or superior to conventionally propelled vessels.]
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Energy Technology