Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

MIT Review Coal Eating Microbes

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

MIT Review Coal Eating Microbes

Unread postby Kylon » Tue 03 Mar 2015, 01:06:11

A possible way to extract large amounts of energy from previously inaccessible, uneconomical sources of fossil energy.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/42 ... tural-gas/

If this could be scaled up, it might provide the U.S more natural gas, and more energy. Also, I think this technology could easily be applied to the Canadian tar sands. I don't think it could be applied to shale though.

This might also make fields with low EROEI have higher EROEI.

What does everybody think?
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Re: MIT Review Coal Eating Microbes

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 03 Mar 2015, 09:35:03

“Another company, Next Fuel, based in Sheridan, Wyoming, recently showed that it could use similar technology to produce methane from coal beds that didn’t already have methane in them”. FYI: such a situation has never and will never exist…all coal deposits contain some amount of methane.

As the report says using microbes to enhance oil/NG recovery has been around for decades. Developing more effective bugs to make methane from coal in a test tube is fine. Now get them dispersed amongst thousands of acres in an underground coal seam and dill wells to recover that “new” methane. I’m sure they’ll update when they get the first commercial project up and going.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Energy Technology