Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The scientific accident that may change the world

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

The scientific accident that may change the world

Unread postby mmasters » Fri 22 Feb 2013, 16:00:13

I haven't thought through the implications of this but it looks interesting...

http://www.kcet.org/news/rewire/science ... itors.html
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The scientific accident that may change the world

Unread postby sparky » Fri 22 Feb 2013, 17:52:03

This is "energy future .. the rainbow "
or science by press releases , there is plenty of them out there
a few might actually be useful ,others are reinventing the wheel
the vast majority are delusional rubbish preying on people thirst to believe in the wonderful

to filter out this stuff , simple
1- can they set up a table top experiment under controlled conditions ?
2- can this experiment be duplicated by someone else with no link to the inventor ?
3- can it be scaled up to a small pilot plant and run for a couple of years ?

This is very vague on the numbers , I personally believe that 5 inches of atom thin coating cannot store much before breaking down , a common problem with advanced batteries
this is a capacitor , good , what is the isolation ? what is the basic element size ?
how do you store and retrieve the power ?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 22 Feb 2013, 19:33:12

Thanks for posting this, mmasters.

A lot of folks are looking into graphene at different labs around the world. The progress the folks in California are making on using graphene as a battery is very interesting indeed........

Graphene.....
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Econ101 » Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:18:57

Any development that makes life easier and cheaper is welcome, including drilling technology breakthroughs that are actually solving our problems today. As Sparky says theres a lot that could still go wrong. Theres a lot of promise out there: cold fusion, room temp super conductivity, battery technology, storage technologies, generating technologies, they are all being worked on and advanced. Its all welcome as is any advancement that makes our lives easier and cheaper.
Econ101
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 23 Feb 2013, 13:49:35

Of hundreds of potential break throughs like this we will eventually hit onto some things that will help mitigate the descent. Which is fine to recognize and does not require a knee jerk reaction that this is pure cornucopian wet dreams.

Technology and evolution do share the same fate of benefitting from unintended consequences. Feathers, initially modified scales for insulation was never intended to lead to flight.

I think we underestimate the power of accidental discoveries and unintended consequences, both detrimental and beneficial.

Did Louis Pasteur have any idea of how he was increasing the resiliency of Kudzu Ape, turning us into the same pathogens that he himself discovered under the microscope?

Unintended consequences and the invention generated through chaos and disruption are great engines of change. And they fully derail all attempts of prediction.

I will find that concept awesomely cool to my last dying day, whether it is observed in nature or through the technological wizardry of humans.

I just remain ever watchful and hopeful that one of these unintended consequences will accelerate our population back down to 1-2 billion.....

Perhaps it is here already, happening under our very noses, and we just can't recognize it for what it is.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 23 Feb 2013, 15:45:48

Its been known for a long time that carbon is highly conductive. Some of the earliest light bulbs used carbon filaments---arc lights in the 1930s and 1940s were based on arcs between carbon rods, and today we apply coats of carbon under high vacuum to samples being analyzed on the electron microprobe here at the university because the carbon will conduct the electron charge away from the analytical site. Of course that carbon isn't in the form of graphene, but it does illustrate the conductive abilities of carbon.

The whole idea of a graphene BATTERY is really cool....... :-D
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 23 Feb 2013, 19:28:50

Link to the video thats gone viral on the UCLA research on a graphene battery

graphene super-supercapacetor battery

Wow! There is a lot of potential here for post-carbon infrastructure development..... :idea:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby meemoe_uk » Sun 03 Mar 2013, 07:40:18

>Of hundreds of potential break throughs like this we will eventually hit onto some things that will help mitigate the descent.

It was eventually done in the 1930s when physicists demonstrated nuclear energy. There is no descent, only ascendance.
meemoe_uk
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby meemoe_uk » Sun 03 Mar 2013, 08:48:50

Anyway, a new type of energy storage shouldn't be interesting to you lot. By your theory, you already have an excellent CO2 battery. All you gotta do is shove 1000-2000ppm CO2 in a bottle and there you have it, a perfect energy stashing device. The CO2 will trap any heat that goes in, then via the runaway global warming in a bottle effect the temperature will just go up and up. Then you can tap the energy to heat your house, swimming pool and drive your city's electric power plant turbine.
:lol:
meemoe_uk
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 24 Dec 2013, 12:30:39

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/12/01/ko ... n-seconds/

By Danny King
Posted Dec 1st 2013 8:37AM
Yes, one day, you too may be able to fully recharge your plug-in vehicle's battery in the amount of time it takes to decelerate down one of those runaway truck ramps. Assuming your brakes actually work, of course.

Engineers at South Korea's Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology are researching the concept of graphene supercapacitors and how they can be applied to plug-in vehicle technology, Technology Review says. A simplified explanation is that the engineers have created an extremely porous version of graphene, turned it into a powder (which makes its surface area larger) and packed the powder into a cell.

The fun part is that the new graphene electrode was tested to provide almost as much charge as a fully recharged lithium-ion battery, with the amazing benefit of only needing about 16 seconds to recharge, raising interesting possibilities for applying the technology to a regenerative braking system. And the electrode was tested 10,000 times and didn't suffer capacity reduction. Cornell University published a version of the study here.

The idea of using graphene, a crystalline form of carbon, for automotive technology, is continuously being researched. Earlier this year, researchers from South Korea, Case Western University and University of North Texas said they discovered that a graphene-coated cathode may generate a greater battery current than a cathode covered with the more expensive but more traditional platinum. And in 2011, University of Technology Sydney researchers created a type of graphene "paper" that is stronger, lighter and less dense than steel. Such widespread use would enable automakers to cut vehicle weight and boost fuel efficiency as a result.

Sounds to me as if this technology might be the Christmas wih for the new year.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Tue 24 Dec 2013, 12:43:59

Here's hopes that this may result in an energy storage system with nearly unlimited recharge cycles. Whenever I look into things like electric-assist bicycles, solar powered lighting systems and other possible things I'd like to implement, I'm put off by the recurring replacement cost of the rechargeable batteries that drives up the total cost of ownership/operation.

Too many dead Roombas and Ryobi's.

Brian
KrellEnergySource
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 24 Dec 2013, 14:04:25

Forget cars, it would be the perfect thing for storing energy from solar panels, wind turbines & other renewable energy sources, thus meaning a much lower baseload requirement.

It would make living "off grid" more viable as well.

I just hope that it isn't another false dawn.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Energy Technology