Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Oil Price

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Peak Oil Price

Unread postby Pops » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:54:47

Several articles recently talking about the rising cost floor of oil extraction, which of course is the base of the wedge.

From CrudeOilPeak

In Fig 4, oil supplies are stacked by 2014 economic cost of oil, starting with Saudi Arabia ($25/barrel, green) and going up to Canadian tar sands ($80/barrel, dark red). The colors have been extended over the whole period to 1980 so that the production history can be seen. Lines in various styles show 4 different cost levels, whereby their lengths are indicative only to show corresponding production levels for the last years.

It seems that oil supplies up to around $75 have peaked (all countries up to Brazil). In other words, if the world is willing (or able) to pay only $75 a barrel, corresponding oil production declined since 2012 – at around 1.6% over 2 years. $50 oil was up and down, but at only 56 mb/d or 60% of current demand. What is important here is that affordable oil does not appear to increase in volume. That has serious implications for economic and transport planning

http://crudeoilpeak.info/peak-affordable-oil

That chart looks a lot like the "rule of thumb" I offered a while back: $1 gets 1mm barrels per day of supply.

here in a different format:

This creeping price floor I didn't read into the original Expert Peaker Prognostications. I took their forecasts to be that price would jump to some unfathomable level and civilization would be over. I can say I've always been a little dubious of that view (and most other methods of Overnight Armageddon) simply because if the price was too high for anyone to afford, they couldn't afford it and that would kill demand, (Demand Destruction in turn being the killer of civilizations) but the lower demand of course would lower price, At least to a degree.

On the other hand, looking at price and the cost of extraction from the bottom up seems to make much more sense. It also invites a different "collapse" scenario.

--
This from seeking alpha is about investing but is the same basic story.

What does this all mean for investing? It means to me that $25 Peak Oil is behind us. You couldn't really hit and maintain that number in the 1986 crash when many more virgin conventional reservoirs of oil were available. Despite the last three oil crises, not one of them could get WTI oil to $25 and keep it there. Now, using much more expensive oil resources (shale fracing, deep water drilling, arctic development, etc), it doesn't seem like the last two disasters have been able to press WTI oil much below $50 for a material length of time. In this recent crash, the 50$ floor was able to be reached only with several years of hyper investment made possible by the twin forces of sustained high prices and access to ultra-cheap capital. Both of these forces are no longer present in the oil markets.

Give that a read, he makes a simple and convincing case that the floor, once $10, then $25, is now $50 (that is in real, inflation adjusted dollars BTW). No big surprise, just another explanation.

One more, from bloomberg, maybe a bit of stock pumping PR but still relevant:

Vitol Group, the world’s biggest independent oil trader, said crude prices won’t drop below $50 a barrel for sustained periods because that’s a level some producers need in order to invest in new supply. Gunvor Group said a rout is over.
“We still subscribe to the likelihood that over time prices still have to go back up again because you still need to invest,” Vitol Chief Executive Officer Ian Taylor said in an interview at the FT Commodities Global Summit in Lausanne, Switzerland on Tuesday. “People won’t invest unless they can make the upstream business work and it’s not just U.S. shale; at $50 a barrel it doesn’t work.”

Just more of the detail of PO. As usual the comment boxes are amusing, especially the seekingalpha where folks key in on attacking the "Peak Oil" headline, without refuting the points laid out. Because they can't.

The "collapse scenario" I'm thinking of is not the overnight armageddon of massive permanent price spike but the economic oscillations (just like we are in) caused by speculative markets and consumers not understanding the "price signals" and jumping from one tactic; small cars, hybrids, conservation—to another—big horsepower, SUVs, Sunday drives.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Peak Oil Price

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 13:26:46

" You couldn't really hit and maintain that number in the 1986 crash when many more virgin conventional reservoirs of oil were available." I'm sorry...where exactly was all those f*cking virgin conventional reservoirs? LOL. Those must be the fields that were developed when the rig count surged to 700. LOL. With the exception of the Deep Water GOM trend, which began producing in the late 70's, I don't recall any hot onshore oil plays in the last 30 years other then the horizontally drilled unconventional Austin Chalk fractured carbonate shale.

"...read, he makes a simple and convincing case that the floor, once $10...". Huh? Adjusted for inflation the price of oil has only been under $20/bbl (1998: $17/bbl) since 1947. So exactly when was the floor $10/bbl? As far as I can tell the oil price "floor" has never been determined by the cost to develop oil reservoirs. I've never priced a single bbl of oil I've sold based on what it cost me to develop it. I always sold for exactly what the market was willing to pay. It seems to have been controlled by consumption. More specifically what the economies could afford to pay. For instance at the lowest price point in 58 YEARS (1998) consumption was on a stead climb from 1982 to 2008.

I don't know what the future price "floor" of oil might be. But in 1980 when oil was selling for $107/bbl I don't recall anyone predicting even a $50/bbl floor. And then the global economy crashed and prices fell to $31/bbl in 1986. And from there oil stayed below $50/bbl for the next 18 years. IMHO predicting the future oil price floor will essentially be more a prediction of global economic health then the rate of global oil production or the cost to develop the remaining reserves.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 13:59:38

Seems pretty simple, the price that oil goes to when there is a whatever kind of glut is what he sees as the floor.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 25 Apr 2015, 19:26:12

My prediction, once world supplies can no longer keep up with demand at a price the economy can support many governments will institute price controls and rationing.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby forbin » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 03:11:51

Rock

back in 1986 North Sea oil sold for $10 in the summer , well reportedly at least .....

"A little over a decade ago, when oil prices were around $10 per barrel and oil companies were making exploration and investment decisions underlying some of today's fields, "

From old Telegraph article

but the North sea wasn't the world ....

cheers

Forbin

Ps : other link > Bang!: A History of Britain in the 1980s
By Graham Stewart
forbin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 17:07:49

Forbin - "...back in 1986 North Sea oil sold for $10 in the summer..." Sorry, no it didn't. Adjusted for inflation oil in 1986 was priced at $31.10/bbl. See:

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/infl ... _table.asp
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 26 Apr 2015, 17:25:58

Pops - "...the price that oil goes to when there is a whatever kind of glut is what he sees as the floor."

So in 1988 when oil bottomed at $29.73/bbl there was a glut of oil when the world was producing just 63 million bbls per day there was a glut of production but in 2011 when oil was selling 90+ million bbls per day for the top at $91 per there wasn't a glut of oil production even though the world was producing around 50% more the it was in 1988?

You see my point now: the world in 1988 WASN'T paying the bottom price because it was producing too much oil. That price was set by what the global economies could afford to pay for oil. I don't think it's a question of semantics either. The world was paying almost twice what it was a year ago when it producing about the same amount of oil it is today. IOW the production rate didn't determine the bottom oil price floor...the economies' ability to pay for oil did. Just as it did in 1988.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:37:59

The world was paying almost twice what it was a year ago when it producing about the same amount of oil it is today. IOW the production rate didn't determine the bottom oil price floor...the economies' ability to pay for oil did.

I guess I'm not getting you Maestro.

The price floor isn't determined by the customer. The floor is determined by the cost to produce. Regardless of how little the customer wants to pay (he always wants to pay the least possible) there is a limit to how low the selling price can go and maintain a given level of supply.

The price ceiling, now that is determined by the customer, right? He can only afford a certain price for a certain amount of oil. Really, in the short term, he can only afford a certain total dollar amount, period. (What is the number? 5% of income in the US?) After that he starts to scramble and conserve, either reducing oil consumption or consumption elsewhere. That happened in '08+9, and '11-'12 (in the US)

But not recently, the big change recently was non-OPEC production growth in '13-'14:

The overall theme here is it costs a certain amount to extract a certain amount. My $1/1mmbd is not even roughly accurate, just a simplistic placeholder to illustrate the idea that if you want more units, you pay more per unit, not less:
Want 50mmb/d supply? ... Pay $50/bbl
Want 100mmb/d supply? ... Gotta cough up $100/bbl
Which is contrary to how we consumers normally think, i.e.; quantity discount.

Not that I think ability to pay is unimportant, of course it is,
and not to say that the economy is fine at $100/bbl, I don't think it is

Only to say that at this particular time, we're plenty warm standing in front of the fire; until the furniture runs out anyway. LOL
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby sparky » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 16:58:21

As a rough guess , I would put the floor price around 70$ a barrel and the ceiling at 100$

anything in between is fine more or less , with a price curve dipping and soaring but coming back in the band
the problem is the extraction cost is heavily dependent on giant and super giant fields
Kashaghan is a 10 Billions disappointment , and Lula a very very large interrogation point
anyone is aware of a super giant coming on line next year ?
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 29 Apr 2015, 23:50:24

Pops - " The floor is determined by the cost to produce.". It looks like we're probably talking about two different "floors". You're focused on the minimum price that would encourage companies to drill. My floor is what consumers can pay. If we were to slide into a deep recession the consumer generated selling price floor could be $35/bbl...or less. But in your interpretation it really isn't a particular price, is it? There are still oil prospects that can be drilled at $25/bbl today...just not many. And there's a number that can be drilled at $50/bbl. BUT there are still a great many that can't so is $50/bbl a true floor per se? And obviously there are a lot more wells that can be drilled at $100/bbl. So that means there's also a $100 floor, right?

Also a friendly reminder to everyone about your wording. Obviously by "...cost to produce" Pops means the cost to drill a well. The floor to produce any of my existing wells is $15/bbl at most with one the "floor" being just $2/bbl.

Maybe a curve of oil price vs # of viable drilling prospect would characterize the dynamics better then a specific price. That's where my confusion stems from: in 40 years of drilling I've never used JUST the price of oil to make a drilling decision. It has always been based upon the risked rate of return. For instance I'm drilling horizontal wells in an old field that make an acceptable ROR (granted barely) at $35/bbl. So obviously my floor there isn't $50/bbl. And I also have a file folder on my computer that contains a lot of drilling projects I won't consider until oil get to at least $75/bbl. So that would be a $75 floor, right?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 04:38:59

I take the "floor" price as the replacement cost of the same production
that's the usual measure in business to estimate an asset value.

The "customer" price is the price which see the production taken off your hands , totally or partially
obviously deviation can occur in a very liquid (pun) market ,
but the fundamental is how much does it cost to bring the same quantity on the market
that's just the hardware and know how for exploration and equipping the field for whatever production
since it's all spend upfront there is some financial costs too

megabucks can be spend before any significant production occur , that's the problem with the industry
Fracking has the advantage of requiring smaller sums per well head even for a smaller production

production costs include exploitation and maintenance ,usually transport and storage infrastructure
a levy by local authorities as a cost of doing business is near universal
usually running profits should cover those and leave some change

I would believe , in constant dollar ,"floor" cost has risen
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 09:09:10

Right ROCK, I'm talking about the direction of production (increasing or decreasing) at a certain price. The point being that as the cost to get oil has risen over the decades, it's put a bottom on the dollars required per barrel to get a given number of barrels of flow.

Today that looks like:
$40/bbl gets you 40mmb/d of total production
$60 = 60mmb/d flow rate
$80 = 80mmb/d

The chart shows there are a range of what it calls average full cycle prices. Each price level corresponds to a flow rate. Those flow rates aren't necessarily what actual production will be at a given price (because most producers will keep producing even at a loss in order to maintain cash flow) they are an indication of the direction of flow rates if the price were to remain at a certain level.

IOW, if oil prices stay at $60/bbl, all things being equal, you would expect the market to move toward 60mmb/d of production.

As you say, producers have some $50 prospects and some $75 prospects, if your guess is the market will stay above $50/bbl over the long run you develop it, but the $75/bbl project is gonna sit there if your guess is the market will stay at $60 over the life of that well.

No surprise that your viewpoint is at the well level because that is where price matters to you. Mine is the overall supply level because what flow at what rate is what matters to the consumer and the overall economy.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 30 Apr 2015, 14:06:14

Pops - See...I knew we were too brilliant to view the situation differently. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 11:21:54

Where do you see prices going say over the next decade? Most of us think prices will go back up substantially, but timing is hard with all the global recession talk and conflicting information about shale production.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 16:10:02

After 10 years of really high prices, I think it is fair to say conventional oil looks to be on a plateau. I think that is the central point. We are experiencing a slight glut of expensive supply along with pretty weak demand growth currently, but that is just today. Baring massive substitution or further demand destruction the upshot of peak conventional eventually means higher prices, either through increasing demand, depleting supply or both.

But it is all relative and interdependent isn't it?

I've argued both higher prices and lower. With the Wedge I came to the conclusion consumers would make better use of oil and get more utility for the same amount — so be able to constantly raise the price ceiling: "use less to pay more"

But, I also argued somewhere else that volatility causes economic instability and lowers ability to pay so a generally falling price (and of course lower supply) would result...

So... I've come to the bigger conclusion that, the price per barrel means little, too many variables to draw a conclusion.

Dollars per barrel of supply is the key, which is the chart in the OP. If the price rule is maybe something under a buck per mbbl of supply, then we're getting 90mbbl/day right now at half price. Great for right now but the long term price needs to be $90/bbl to maintain 90mbd supply. If that makes sense.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 18:06:12

Pops - "...then we're getting 90mbbl/day right now at half price. Great for right now but the long term price needs to be $90/bbl to maintain 90mbd supply. If that makes sense." If I read you correctly it makes perfect sense: we're producing 90 mm bopd at half price because it creates a huge cash flow and profit. It does so because, in general, the cost to produce EXISTING WELLS is still rather low compared to a sales price of $45/bbl.

And as was well put above: the price needed to produce oil is much less then the price needed to REPLACE reserves recovered from those wells with new wells. Revenue may have dramatically drop for the producers but they are still makinh very nice positive cash flow. And by cutting new drilling projects they greatly enhance net income.

Of course those cut backs in drilling activity will eventually have negative impacts on global production. OTOH that was going to happen at $100/bbl oil. Just not as soon.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hvacman » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 18:32:19

Great for right now but the long term price needs to be $90/bbl to maintain 90mbd supply.

And we know from past experience that the current growth-based world economy cracks with oil at that price level for an extended time, resulting in demand destruction and lower price. And long-term demand destruction/lower price means in the long-term supply reduction. Therefore in the long term, both the price and the supply will eventually drop, along with the growth-based economy in general, unless "a miracle occurs".

And a miracle is what most politicians and/or US presidential candidates on both sides of the aisle appear to have the utmost faith will happen, at least if they are either elected or remain in office.
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shortonoil » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 03:28:34

Newly discovered oil is now less than a third of product extracted; or in other words, we are using it more than three times faster than it is being found. As almost every square foot of the planet has been explored, and re-explored there is very little chance that any significant quantities will be found in the future. Once the Giants that supply 60% of the world's oil go into decline there will not be any reserves to replace them. That is likely to occur this decade. At that point price becomes completely irrelevant!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby Cog » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 03:55:30

Subjectivist wrote:My prediction, once world supplies can no longer keep up with demand at a price the economy can support many governments will institute price controls and rationing.

Price controls and rationing would further crush whatever economy you are trying to protect making oil even less affordable.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Fri 06 Nov 2015, 03:57:17

shortonoil wrote:Newly discovered oil is now less than a third of product extracted; or in other words, we are using it more than three times faster than it is being found. As almost every square foot of the planet has been explored, and re-explored there is very little chance that any significant quantities will be found in the future. Once the Giants that supply 60% of the world's oil go into decline there will not be any reserves to replace them. That is likely to occur this decade. At that point price becomes completely irrelevant!

I thought peak was supposed to occur a decade ago. At least that is what the doomers predicted on TOD and on this board back then.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models