Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Bees Thread Pt. 2

Bye Bye Bees

Unread postby MD » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 07:34:56

http://csglobe.com/harvard-study-proves ... appearing/

The pragmatists will look at this as an opportunity for an entire new human industry. Robot bees!

Let's get busy with it!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Re: Bye Bye Bees

Unread postby Fishman » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 07:48:39

Having a hive in the backyard, just finishing up on my Certified Beekeeper, and some background in toxicology, its a bit more complex. Commercial beekeepers/pollinators work their bees very hard transporting hives across the country. We fight small hive beetles, varroa mites, viruses, and yes, pesticides. The pesticides in a suburban yard are more a problem than the commercial fields since commercial folks at least time their sprays to avoid the bees.
Obama, the FUBAR presidency gets scraped off the boot
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 19:41:59

Neonicotinoids insecticides, persist in “extremely high levels” in planter exhaust material produced during the planting of crops treated with these insecticides. This runs contrary to industry claims that the chemicals biodegrade and are not a threat.

These pesticide components are found in soil, they are also found in fields where the chemicals are not even sprayed. Bees also actively transfer contaminated pollen from primarily pesticide treated corn crops and bring it back to their hives.

We all know that the industry only ever speaks God's honest truth.

Seriously, it's ridiculous for people to give these criminals the benefit of the doubt. They should be treated as guilty until proven innocent. That goes especially for any chemical concoction they are peddling.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby C8 » Mon 13 Jul 2015, 22:56:59

Bees are insects and multiply at an astonishing rate and produce, therefore, a lot of mutation that may become adaptive. I think they will do fine- much better than us. This is not a long term concern.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 07:49:45

C8, soo, you think insects never go extinct?

ohanian, nice article. Multiple stressors lead to total collapse of society...sounds familiar! 8) :) 8O :shock: :| :(
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Lore » Tue 14 Jul 2015, 08:50:12

C8 wrote:Bees are insects and multiply at an astonishing rate and produce, therefore, a lot of mutation that may become adaptive. I think they will do fine- much better than us. This is not a long term concern.

Not so, we have been losing our natural pollinators for a while now. They are not adapting.

Bumblebees Are Getting Trapped In A ‘Climate Vise’ As Hotter Temperatures Shrink Habitats

The effects of global warming are shrinking the geographic home range of North American and European bumblebees, and the insects appear unable to adapt to the changing conditions — a troubling discovery for an important group of pollinators critical to the world’s food supply.

Unlike other animal species, the bees are not migrating northward where it is cooler, and their failure to do so is prompting dramatic losses of bumblebee species from the hottest areas across two continents, according to a study published Thursday in Science, the journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

“Global warming has trapped bumblebee species in a kind of climate vise,” said Jeremy Kerr, professor of biology at the University of Ottawa and one of the study authors. “For species that evolved under cool conditions, like bumblebees, global warming might be the kind of threat that causes many of them to disappear for good.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/0 ... ge-threat/
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 10 Jan 2016, 21:36:59

EPA confirms activists' longtime claims: Neonicotinoid pesticide threatens honeybees

THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA) announced on Wednesday that a preliminary risk assessment of the pesticide imidacloprid shows that the chemical poses a threat to some pollinators, specifically honeybees.

Imidacloprid is one of four neonicotinoid pesticides that honey producers and environmentalists have long suspected to be linked to rapidly declining bee populations in North America and beyond, a phenomenon widely known as colony collapse disorder.

Neonictonoids are nicotine-like pesticides that attack the central nervous system of insects and are commonly used to protect seed stocks and kill unwanted foliage-eating bugs like aphids and beetles.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 02:39:18

neonicotinoids are killing bees at an exponential rate
http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2016/01/epa-finds-major-pesticide-toxic-bees

Look at the chart of amount sprayed on crops increasing so much in 2010. I wonder why all of a sudden such a jump?
I'm vegetarian, so is it because we started demanding soy products??
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 02:41:48

Eat meat to save the bees from extinction .....lol
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 12:10:06

jed, relax. Most soy goes to feed livestock. And anyway, you shouldn't be eating too much soy (or any other one thing, for that matter), anyway, for health reasons.

We just have to ban neonicotinoids, then keep studying what other factors are putting bees under stress.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Synapsid » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 18:12:05

dohboi 06:49:45,

Well, I'm beginning to wonder about beetles. The critters seem to be extraordinarily resistant to extinction.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 11 Jan 2016, 18:49:37

I was talking with a grad student I happened to run into at a local cafe. He worked on extinction stats. I asked him if he didn't find it a bit depressing, but he replied that most of the confirmed extinctions in the area he was studying were of various species of beetles, creatures he did not feel much warmth towards, apparently.

Sorry that this is just an anecdotal tale, but I'm quite sure that insects of all sorts can and do go extinct all the time.

Of course, certain species right now are getting the benefit of huge new territories opening up. But that doesn't mean that all or even most species of beetle are doing well.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: THE Bees Thread (merged)

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 15 Mar 2017, 18:51:21

General Mills is running a free seed campaign to feed wild bees. Just click the link.

http://www.cheerios.com/BringBackTheBees
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

THE Bees Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 22:41:03

I saw a lone bee in my yard today. Rather surprised to even see that, actually, because not too many things are actually flowering there right now.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 08 Jun 2017, 21:48:01

My yard is covered in native and European honey bees.
They are loving the Thai basil flowers at the moment I let it self seed and its everywhere.
When my fox tail palm flowered outside the bedroom window the buzz was beautifully loud ,its just let out another bract so should be flowering in weeks again
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 09 Aug 2017, 03:27:08

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/lifesty ... d2090.html

(ANSA) - Florence, August 8 -
Italian beekeepers association UNAAPI warned of a possible "environmental disaster" on Tuesday because the long drought and the intense 'Lucifer' heat wave have upset the nation's bees.

The association stressed that the problem does not just concern honey production, but was a much broader issue for the nation's agriculture and environment.
"There is the risk of an environmental disaster in Italy," UNAAPI said.
"Driven crazy by the climate, the bees don't just not produce honey (2017 production down by up to 80%), but they are unable to provide pollination services to agriculture. "(Because of the drought) the flowers no longer secrete nectar and pollen and plants, in particular trees, are in a perennial situation of suffering.
"The bees are no long sending warnings, but reports of a loss of fertility and incipient desertification". Farmers' association Coldiretti Tuesday said the weather meant Italy's honey production for 2017 will be around 10,000 tonnes, approximately half the average.

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby farmlad » Wed 09 Aug 2017, 07:55:20

The problem with the bees is way more than just neonicotinoids, its also vast monocultures Herbicides and pesticides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yOcXnlY60s&t=23s
farmlad
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 09 Aug 2017, 11:45:17

Thanks for that reminder, fl.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate