Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A 27-year study, 75% less insects

Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate bre

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:06:06

Which of these would you name as the world’s most pressing environmental issue? Climate breakdown, air pollution, water loss, plastic waste or urban expansion? My answer is none of the above. Almost incredibly, I believe that climate breakdown takes third place, behind two issues that receive only a fraction of the attention. Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers This is not to downgrade the danger presented by global heating – on the contrary, it presents an existential threat. It is simply that I have come to realise that two other issues have such huge and immediate impacts that they push even this great predicament into third place. One is industrial fishing, which, all over the blue planet, is now causing systemic ecological collapse. The other is the erasure of non-human life from the land by farming. And perhaps not only

Insectageddon!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

A 27-year study, 75% less insects

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:11:21

75% of the flying insects on protected lands in Germany seem to have died over the past 27 years. Researchers aren't sure what's responsible for the decline, but say climate change probably isn't to blame. Bird populations are now also on the decline. Bug researchers in Germany are puzzled. New data suggests the total population of flying insects there has declined a whopping 75% in the past 27 years. And no one knows why. A study released Wednesday in the journal PLOS ONE details a longitudinal study by German researchers to measure "flying insect biomass" — the weight of all flying bugs — in 63 protected spots around the country. The scientists surveyed places like dunes, grasslands, and forests, using trapping tents to collect over 118 pounds of bugs over the 27 year period. They were expecting to find some population decreases, but this extreme decline, they..

Study shows decrease in flying insects
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:02:37

pstarr wrote:Wrong forum (Environment), no comment no analysis.

Flagged.

Well, it IS a current events article, so current events seemed like a logical place to put it. Perhaps you should flag it a couple more times, just to make sure I get my ears boxed appropriately? :)

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:26:07

pstarr wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Flagged.

Well, it IS a current events article, so current events seemed like a logical place to put it. Perhaps you should flag it a couple more times, just to make sure I get my ears boxed appropriately? :)

I have no interest in calling attention to this useless forum entry.

Whoops :shock: :lol: 8)

Why not? Aren't insects important to the formation of ecosystems and what not? I thought all of us environmentally conscious types (even those who can't be bothered to change their habits away from gas guzzling dinosaur forms of personal transport) were interested in the health of our ecosystems?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: A 27-year study, 75% less insects

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:29:37

pstarr wrote:wrong forum

Current events are no longer....current events?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 13:03:34

pstarr wrote:The categories in this forum structure were intentionally created years ago by the administration to address, contain and target particular discussions. Your effort is an insult to them.

I am trying to post interesting current events, if only that we may see and discuss things that aren't random number generators or the same tired old financial arguments of why we're all going to die tomorrow afternoon...while ignoring the history of such claims in order to pretend we haven't said the same thing before, 100 times now.

So now we've got cool current events! Some insects are dying! Sounds bad. :(
Oil fields are being taken away from other folks! Venezuela is still a basket case. Note, not a single article on random number generators in the bunch!

pstarr wrote:By defining any and all discussion data news, and analysis as simply 'current' minimizes that structure. Makes it difficult for posters to have cogent debate. It sows confusion and chaos. That is your mandate. Not ours.

Well, I don't know what to do. Perhaps you should report me a bunch more times? Better yet, why don't YOU volunteer to put the current events posts into the places where they best fit? That way, you can put the energy you now put into whining, into action to help make the place better?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 13:26:51

AdamB wrote:

Flagged.

So I see now since pstarr is constantly losing out on disagreements to AdamB (FUD and anger don't stand up to logic and data over time -- surprise, surprise), now he's decided to be the posting Nazi as revenge?

I wouldn't even know this, since I have him on "ignore" for his consistent near zero signal to noise ratio, but I am seeing this through Adam's responses.

Speaking of flagging -- are the moderators really going to put up with this trollish nonsense by pstarr? If so, how many times?

On several of these, it's obvious he's resorted to just copying/pasting the same whining text.

And should all the regular posters on this site be "treated" to this sort of behavior on a regular basis? Is this really the example of behavior the mods want?

Having my time wasted a lot when I go to what looks like a new and interesting topic isn't what I want, and I suspect most other posters will feel the same way.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 13:55:26

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Having my time wasted a lot when I go to what looks like a new and interesting topic isn't what I want, and I suspect most other posters will feel the same way.

The entire exercise of getting some front page news stories off into the current events forum so folks can check out a new and interesting topic is exactly the point!! So don't be scared off by pstarr's whining, he has a valid point (first time in years as best I can tell :lol: ) that while I interpret today's news as basically just a "Current Events" entry, they might be worth thinking about a tad longer and making an additional determination as to which sub-forum to drop them into. Like I said, first valid point in years!

I have noted two things, 1) same as you there are things in the news worth talking about even for someone with a more traditional peak oil focus as I have, and 2) it appears to naturally bump off all the incessant back and forth among sock puppets longing for the old peak oil fast crash days except updated for happening now without any consideration for why it never worked out before....told from the view of sock puppets.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 13:58:48

pstarr wrote:I am just trying to support the peakoil forum, a place I have contributed to for 12 years.

Well, lets not get TOO ahead of ourselves. Participated...sure. And once, like a decade ago, I found an old reference to you apparently knowing something...once. Like some study on corn based fuel or something. Everything else has been you avoiding what you have been told, cutting and pasting what others said that aren't in context anyway, restating things you said before and have already been proven incorrect, I mean the list goes on and on, only surprising in consistently demonstrating that buddy, you have a TOUGH time with that learning thing.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 14:18:12

Another thing PStarr doesn't realize is total hours invested in spamming the forum does not represent a meaningful "contribution". He's basically a barnacle sitting on the bottom of a boat.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 15:15:10

Pete,

Knock it off. Adam is doing us a service. Be grateful.

And if you can’t be grateful, be quiet.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 23 Oct 2017, 15:30:52

Which of these would you name as the world’s most pressing environmental issue? Climate breakdown, air pollution, water loss, plastic waste or urban expansion? My answer is none of the above. Almost incredibly, I believe that climate breakdown takes third place, behind two issues that receive only a fraction of the attention.

Warning of 'ecological Armageddon' after dramatic plunge in insect numbers

This is not to downgrade the danger presented by global heating – on the contrary, it presents an existential threat. It is simply that I have come to realise that two other issues have such huge and immediate impacts that they push even this great predicament into third place.

One is industrial fishing, which, all over the blue planet, is now causing systemic ecological collapse. The other is the erasure of non-human life from the land by farming.

He talks of the loss of insect life, I’ve noted that myself.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate